also available tubes for grease guns.

tight lines!

Gobi King

FYI:
I was looking for more info in Yamalube Marine Grease:
Here is what I found:

Marine Grease
Especially formulated to resist wash-off and extreme heat and pressure,
and prevent corrosion and rust. (NLGIĀ® 2) Lithium soap based.
10 oz. Tube (Qty. 12*) ACC-GREAS-10-CT
14 oz. Cartridge (Qty. 10*) ACC-GREAS-14-CT

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

johndtuttle

Quote from: Gobi King on December 04, 2017, 07:40:38 PM
FYI:
I was looking for more info in Yamalube Marine Grease:
Here is what I found:

Marine Grease
Especially formulated to resist wash-off and extreme heat and pressure,
and prevent corrosion and rust. (NLGI® 2) Lithium soap based.
10 oz. Tube (Qty. 12*) ACC-GREAS-10-CT
14 oz. Cartridge (Qty. 10*) ACC-GREAS-14-CT

All Lithium based greases are not the same. The standard "white lithium" greases are what we don't like. The get dry and chalky.

But don't over think it. There is no "miracle lube" that is best for everything and many, many that are perfectly adequate. The common flavors used by the pro techs here are not going to be surpassed by any significant margin by anything yet developed.

"Marine Bearing Grease" your pick for general salt protection for gears and surfaces etc.

Corrosion-X grease for (perhaps) a little heavier duty application.

Grease for bearings to protect.

Corrosion-X for general oiling of this and that ie bearings that don't have to be super fast and handles and stuff, levers etc.

TSI-321 for fastest bearings + corrosion. Useful for reels casting very light baits, otherwise, not strictly needed imo.

Tiddlerbasher

Yup what John said :) One thing I will add TSI321 seems to last longer than any other oil I've tried. I've been monitoring 3 reels, used heavily, for over 2 years. The freespool is still good - bearings still smooth - after an initial service I have not re-oiled the spool bearings in that time! I like CorrosionX/Reelx but it doesn't seem to last as long. Just my 2c. I now use TSI321 on all my tools and guns. After this plug if they would care to send some free samples - I won't  object :D

johndtuttle

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on December 04, 2017, 09:12:19 PM
Yup what John said :) One thing I will add TSI321 seems to last longer than any other oil I've tried. I've been monitoring 3 reels, used heavily, for over 2 years. The freespool is still good - bearings still smooth - after an initial service I have not re-oiled the spool bearings in that time! I like CorrosionX/Reelx but it doesn't seem to last as long. Just my 2c. I now use TSI321 on all my tools and guns. After this plug if they would care to send some free samples - I won't  object :D

To be fair, we all probably went through our "experimental lube" phase where we tried out this and that looking for another Holy Grail.

Fact of the matter (particularly in the salt) its more about standard stuff being used in the right spots and regularly servicing the reel than any special lube.

If you generously slathered just about any salt reel (without going overboard) with standard generic Marine Bearing grease it would be **very** well protected.

After that its just tiny tweaks for a little nicer performance.

Sometimes marine bearing grease in the bearings works nice for a poor man's casting brakes (heavy lures hucked hard).

Other times a drop of Corrosion-X from the outside is more than enough (better than 99% of factory lubed bearings).

Other times, a full special cleaning and soak in TSI-321 is in order when trying to flip 1/4oz baits etc. when you are playing "Kevin Van Dam Bassin' Foo'...".

:D

Tiddlerbasher

You are not wrong John - A lot of this can be over thought - but then - we all have preferences ;)

wfjord

Coming up on the end of my first year working on reels I've settled in on a mixture of Yamaha blue marine grease & CorrosionX as my primary grease(gears and such);  ReelX for lighter oiling;  TSI321 for bearings; and Cal's for the drags.  I'm very satisfied with the results.

Gobi King

Quote from: wfjord on December 05, 2017, 05:47:37 AM
Coming up on the end of my first year working on reels I've settled in on a mixture of Yamaha blue marine grease & CorrosionX as my primary grease(gears and such);  ReelX for lighter oiling;  TSI321 for bearings; and Cal's for the drags.  I'm very satisfied with the results.

Question for a newbie like me:
Which corrosionx product do you use?

Also, I found reelx $10 for 1 oz bottle with $2 shipping, is this the regular price?

Thanks,
Fichigan

wfjord

Quote from: Gobi King on December 06, 2017, 03:50:11 PM

Also, I found reelx $10 for 1 oz bottle with $2 shipping, is this the regular price?

Thanks,

I have a trigger bottle of regular CorrosionX that I mix with Yamaha grease and use for innumerable other things; and a small bottle of ReelX with an applicator tip. That price sounds about right for the ReelX --it goes a long way. 

johndtuttle

Quote from: Gobi King on December 06, 2017, 03:50:11 PM
Quote from: wfjord on December 05, 2017, 05:47:37 AM

Thanks,

ReelX (probably doesn't last as long/protect as well) is a little faster lube than Corrosion-X. If you are looking for a great deal get this for your reels. Its regular Corrosion-X but just marketed for guns:

https://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-50010-Guns-4oz-bottle/dp/B0009H1AM6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1512583775&sr=8-6&keywords=corrosionx

Gobi King

Thank you!  I just bought a few reelx gun version for my guns/reels ;D
Fichigan

Spyderman

I was strolling around my local Bass Pro Shop in their boating supplies section and came across this product...Mystik JT6 High Performance Marine Grease.  Retails for $3.49 for a 14 ounce cartridge.  NLGI 2 rating and is manufactured by CITGO.  Tube states the following:
- Premium quality high performance extreme pressure marine grease
- Outstanding water and water washout resistance, protects against saltwater corrosion
- Excellent wear protection and load carrying capacity
- Recommended operating temperature range zero degrees to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.

I picked up several tubes and have been using this for my grease needs when rebuilding reels.  Seems to stick to parts fairly well, and is very smooth.  Price is right if it works for you.

Gobi King

Mystic is good stuff, I found synthetic marine grease made by peak at Pepboys, I will swing by the only pepstore in town later in the week.
Fichigan

johnachak

I only do about 30 reels a year. I bought a pound of Penn blue grease for $15. I think it'll last me for my lifetime. I've had nothing but good results with the Penn Blue on gears and Cals on drags. Should I look for the Yamaha marine grease and use it instead? Is it that much better than the Penn?

Are you guys using the Yamaha because its that much better or to save money when doing a lot of reels or because it comes in the tubes to use in grease guns to pack bearings and to do the cut off inflator needle trick?

borchcl

Andy and the folks at SIM are great people, I use them for all thing yamaha related.
Regards,
Charlie