Fly Tying Station

Started by mmayo, August 16, 2015, 10:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmayo

A friend asked me to build a custom fly tying station and I like a new project.  He has really taken to fly fishing, enough to purchase property in Utah close to world class trout fishing area.  I use African mahogany for most of the piece with ebonized hard rock maple for the supports and spindles.  Below are photos as the work progressed.

Raw wood

One coat of finish to bring out the color and emphasize the grain

Four coats and the finish is glossy and feels good.

Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mmayo

Official portraits are as follows, whoa is it hot today in Long Beach, CA.  My goal was to make this fly tying station to fit HIS tools as well as possible so it it shown with some of his gear in place.

Yes, I finished the bottom too.

David Hall

Very nice work Mark.  Thanks for sharing.

Reel 224

Mark: you are a craftsman! I'm not a fly tying person and not sure of what the tools all look like, but isn't there a vice to hold the hook while tying the the hair to the fly? How does that tie into everything?

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Mac53

Mark - the guys going to lose his mind!  Everything is so well thought out.  Tim

mmayo

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 17, 2015, 03:07:25 AM
Mark: you are a craftsman! I'm not a fly tying person and not sure of what the tools all look like, but isn't there a vice to hold the hook while tying the the hair to the fly? How does that tie into everything?

Joe

He has a vise that has a heavy base, it will live in the center open space.  I left room on the ends of both sides that can be used to clamp a vise for a light or magnifying glass. This was a build to what the guy wanted deal. He took it home today and was very happy, that is what counts to me. 

Reel 224

Quote from: mmayo on August 19, 2015, 04:27:19 AM
Quote from: Reel 224 on August 17, 2015, 03:07:25 AM

Joe

He has a vise that has a heavy base, it will live in the center open space.  I left room on the ends of both sides that can be used to clamp a vise for a light or magnifying glass. This was a build to what the guy wanted deal. He took it home today and was very happy, that is what counts to me. 

If he can build fly's or jigs as good as your station then he will be doing something. I can't see how anyone would not be happy with your work.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

mmayo

Here is a photo sent by my friend as he put the bench into use.

Reel 224

Really nice! Anyone would be proud to display that set up in there living room.

Joe