Silstar RXB 70

Started by dustin.brace, January 03, 2011, 07:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustin.brace

Can anyone offer any help on the teardown of a Silstar RVB70? I didn't find anyone in a quick google search. My fishing buddy gave me one as I didn't have a spinning reel. I would like to take it apart and get an idea of what kind of condition it is in. Thanks for your help!
" height="90" width="160

Norcal Pescador

Hey, Dustin.
Silstar is new to me, but if all else fails check out these tutorials and the tutorials by other authors. You may find something similar and at least you'll know how to go about it.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Phinaddict

Dustin,
I doubt you'll find a schematic. One way to do it is to take pics of the teardown process as you go, (much like Alan does in his tutorials). That way you can see what goes where when it's put back together.
keep everything grouped as sub-assemblies and dive into it.
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

alantani

i did a quick check as well and came up empty.  looks like a south korean brand.  change out the drag washers and pack the bearings with grease.  after that, you should be good.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

dustin.brace

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to take it apart and give it a try. The worst that could happen is that it doesn't work, no big deal there, I don't have a spinning rod anyway.
" height="90" width="160

Phinaddict

Spinners scare me. Everytime I  take one apart, careful as I am, (see my previous posted suggestions), I end up with a few "spare" parts in a plastic bag. I had many plastic bags of  parts.
Dustin, want me to have a crack at it?  Guaranteed to return it with spare parts! Just kidding....    ;D

dustin.brace

Quote from: Phinaddict on January 04, 2011, 04:10:15 AM
Spinners scare me. Everytime I  take one apart, careful as I am, (see my previous posted suggestions), I end up with a few "spare" parts in a plastic bag. I had many plastic bags of  parts.
Dustin, want me to have a crack at it?  Guaranteed to return it with spare parts! Just kidding....    ;D

Good golly that was hard! No extra parts but holy cow that was difficult. Give me a conventional reel any day! The problem lied in the fact that I didn't have any kind of schematic or tutorial. It worked out and the reel is working and isn't making a horrible scraping noise any more!
" height="90" width="160

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: dustin.brace on January 05, 2011, 04:26:00 AM
Quote from: Phinaddict on January 04, 2011, 04:10:15 AM

. . . . It worked out and the reel is working and isn't making a horrible scraping noise any more!
That makes it an unqualified success! Maybe you could take all of Gene's parts bags and make a complete reel for him.  ;D ::) ;D
Good job!!
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Phinaddict

... more like 4 or 5 complete reels. Maybe end up with a  Zebquanmano or a Shimpenndaiwa.

Actually I gave most of it to a friend. He's a hoarder. I guess that makes me an enabler.

Dustin, way to go! You're on your way to becoming a reel guru!

alantani

i hate spinners.......... ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!