Converting "99" size 300c back to 500 size

Started by Yogi_fish808, August 23, 2015, 09:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yogi_fish808

Aloha guys,
I accidentally bought on ebay, a 300C jigmaster converted to 99 size and wondered what parts I'd need to get it back to 500 width. Tried putting on stock 500 bars, seat and spool but experienced the spool rubbing due to a different spindle size on the handle side. I believe bars, seat and spool on the reel now are off of a 332, if anyone has the parts I need and wants these I'd be more than happy to make a trade.

Thanks for the help

Rancanfish

I may be able to help, but I'm really not sure because I'm unfamiliar with a 300c jigmaster.  Are you referring to a Newell perhaps? 

I have a stock Penn stand, bars and an anniversary spool that are loose. All nice except for the spool has a spot or two that would be covered when you put line on.

Is that is what you need?

And Aloha from California.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

vilters

as it has spool bearings instead of bushings, it uses a newell spool for a newell reel, not a newell spool for a penn reel. one from a 338 series reel will work - blackie 338, p338, g,s,c or no letter 338. I have a 300c I picked up recently in '99 size too, but I like that size and am going to leave as is and upgrade the internals.

Rancanfish

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Yogi_fish808

Thanks guys! Hopefully I can find a good condition 338 spool. Deciding whether or not I'm gonna find the 338 bars/stand or just get a tiburon/accurate frame.

Aloha

vilters

penn 500 bars and reel base will work with the 338 spool  8)

Newell Nut

thinkwahoo

The line capacity is not that much different between the 338 and the 332/99, so why bother.

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: thinkwahoo on August 24, 2015, 03:26:19 AM
The line capacity is not that much different between the 338 and the 332/99, so why bother.

The wider 2 1/2" vs narrow 99 spool is better for the style of surf fishing in Hawaii. The big trevallys here can take out a lot of line and that little bit of extra capacity that will let me run more braid backing under my 40lb mono is nice to have. I'd go with a 344 conversion if they weren't so pricey.

Yogi_fish808

Huge thank you's for helping me get this reel to where I wanted it. I installed 338/Penn 500 width Accuframe and got both a 338 aluminum spool and the red Penn 50th anniversary spool with sleeves thanks to member Thinkwahoo ( I had no clue these even existed as part of the 300c jigmaster). I love this reel for surf casting, using a 338 spool the distance it gets with 8oz lead and bait is crazy. Still need to cast it with the sleeved penn spool.

vilters

glad it worked out for you, nice looking reel  8) thanks for posting pics of sleeved penn spool. I wasn't aware of that mod. jerry is the man!!!