C332-5 Specs

Started by CPARandy, August 23, 2015, 04:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CPARandy

Does anyone know the inches per crank for this reel?  And is max drag for OEM reel 12.5 lbs?

Thanks much!

Newell Nut

Inches per turn is 32" for all of the 300 series 5 speeds. The factory drags can go a bit higher. I have gotten 20 lb just with new CFs in standard configuration and if you add Bryans 5 stack drag system it will go to 30 lb. Make sure you use the factory washer under the gear or a delrin. I recently found a CF under gear washer that was shredded by the gear sleeve.

Newell Nut

Last night I finished a new Rainshadow ISWB946 and I tested it this morning with a Newell 220 with standard CF arrangement and lifted a 15 lb dumbbell off the ground and had more drag left. The 332 will do more.

SoCalAngler

Don't the 200's, 300's and 400's all use the same drags? I understand adding more to the stack or going CF drags will increase drag but don't all these reels have the same sized drags?

Bryan Young

the have the same size drags and gears.

The 200 series will have the highest top of spool setting in comparison to the 300 and 400 series due to the diameter of the spool
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

OK bare with me I'm a little slow when it comes to this kind of stuff. Lets say you have a 200 sized reel and you set the drags at 10 lbs of drag with the reel full of line and you also have, lets say a 332 and set the drag the same at 10 lbs also with a full spool. Won't the top/starting drag be the same? Now then line comes off the reels since the 332 has a larger spool diameter it will give more bottom end drag because the spools diameter from starting at a full has a chance to get smaller than starting with a 200's full spool? The drag pressure will increase on any reel as the spool has less and less line on it and since the 300's do start with a larger diameter than the 200's this increase should be greater, right? So the drag increase from a 300 sized reel from a full reel to the arbor will be more than a 200 sized reel full to it's arbor just because of the difference of starting with two diameters of the spools?

But, wont over all max drag be the same? Since we are talking about max drag and not the drag increase do to the spools diameter getting smaller from full to almost spooled? To me the max drag should be the same do the drags being the same size in the 200's, 300's and 400's but the increase from a full spool to almost a empty one and reel with the largest spools diameter will have the most increase, but overall max drag should be the same.

Sulla

Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 25, 2015, 08:29:20 AM
OK bare with me I'm a little slow when it comes to this kind of stuff. Lets say you have a 200 sized reel and you set the drags at 10 lbs of drag with the reel full of line and you also have, lets say a 332 and set the drag the same at 10 lbs also with a full spool. Won't the top/starting drag be the same? Now then line comes off the reels since the 332 has a larger spool diameter it will give more bottom end drag because the spools diameter from starting at a full has a chance to get smaller than starting with a 200's full spool? The drag pressure will increase on any reel as the spool has less and less line on it and since the 300's do start with a larger diameter than the 200's this increase should be greater, right? So the drag increase from a 300 sized reel from a full reel to the arbor will be more than a 200 sized reel full to it's arbor just because of the difference of starting with two diameters of the spools?

But, wont over all max drag be the same? Since we are talking about max drag and not the drag increase do to the spools diameter getting smaller from full to almost spooled? To me the max drag should be the same do the drags being the same size in the 200's, 300's and 400's but the increase from a full spool to almost a empty one and reel with the largest spools diameter will have the most increase, but overall max drag should be the same.

You said a lot and I'm not sure I completely understood. The way I see it is if both the 300 and 200 series Newells have full spools both set on full drag then the drag pressure on the 300 series would be less until it emptied to the same starting point circumfrance of the 200 series spool. In other word when the line is coming off at the same circumfrance point then they both would have the same drag pressure.  I think  ::)

Bryan Young

Quote from: Bill Carson on August 25, 2015, 11:34:46 PM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 25, 2015, 08:29:20 AM

You said a lot and I'm not sure I completely understood. The way I see it is if both the 300 and 200 series Newells have full spools both set on full drag then the drag pressure on the 300 series would be less until it emptied to the same starting point circumfrance of the 200 series spool. In other word when the line is coming off at the same circumfrance point then they both would have the same drag pressure.  I think  ::)

That is my understanding of the static or dynamics physics behind the drag and spool combination...but what do I know...I'm an Electronics Engineer. ??? ;)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D