Pro Gear's PG251 and PG255, and Penn's Jigmaster 505HS and 506HS

Started by Bryan Young, January 08, 2011, 05:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith K

So I took apart my Newell 322, because I knew I had one of these in there...

Here it is: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-disc-springs/=lxtz8x

Mine is:
-ID--.405 in
-OD--.82 in
-Thickness--.035 in
-Height--.0625 in

For Stainless it looks like part # 9713K425

Just ordered...

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

pro_fishent

Bryan I was hopeing you could help me with a question. A buddy of mine has a pro gear, I told him I would purchase it but upon inspection it has a graphite spool. It kinda looks like a 545 but has no markings or model numbers.

Bryan Young

Ihave never seen a pg with a graphite spool. It must have been taken from a Newell.  Any pics of the reel?  Please post it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

pro_fishent

I will get some pictures when I see it again. I was kinda hesitant to buy it scince the spool isnt aluminum and there are a couple of penn parts on it. Kinda looks like a franken reel. Thanks for the help though

Bryan Young

The old pg reels used their own parts with a penn parts as direct replacements. Again, not sure of the graphite spool. I'm sure it must be from a Newell.

handi2

I did my PG 251 with the thin metal washers from Dawn and drag washers cut from 1 mm Carbontex sheet and the top spring washer fit just fine with no problem on the star drag assembly. I use a gasket punch kit to cut most washers now. It works great for the 4/0 size washer and smaller. 1" OD or smaller drag washers. I hammer out the OD of the washer and cut out the ID with a Dremel while holding them between the metal washers.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gman

Reel clamp question for a PG255:  I've hot rodded a couple of PG255's I got on that auction site.  Added Bryan's 5+1 gear set, old Penn 4:1 steel gears, and the SS double dog bridge and AT's SS gear sleeve.  Only problem is that I can't seem to find a clamp that works for a PG255.  The distance between the studs/posts is little less than the standard distance between posts on small reels (almost exactly an inch, in this case), so the general small clamps that would fit a Penn 146 or 501 are a bit too big and definitely don't fit.  I would really appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions.  Thanks!

Ron Jones

Mikes sold me a Tiburon clamp with oval holes that fit my Pacifica 2000 perfect. I bet they could sort you out.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Quote from: gman on June 06, 2014, 10:47:30 PM
Reel clamp question for a PG255:  I've hot rodded a couple of PG255's I got on that auction site.  Added Bryan's 5+1 gear set, old Penn 4:1 steel gears, and the SS double dog bridge and AT's SS gear sleeve.  Only problem is that I can't seem to find a clamp that works for a PG255.  The distance between the studs/posts is little less than the standard distance between posts on small reels (almost exactly an inch, in this case), so the general small clamps that would fit a Penn 146 or 501 are a bit too big and definitely don't fit.  I would really appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions.  Thanks!
I too cannot find clamps.  And a couple of my PG255s have reel seat without clamp mounting holes.  What to do, what to do...

I think I may have a solution though that I will be looking into.  Shimano TN16N reel seat clamps are very narrow and I just picked up one from Pauline to play with.  I will look at the seat to see if it fits and will let you know.

Gman

For a clamp that fits the narrow width of the studs on a PG 255, I've just found a solution that works for me:  An Accurate model C-51 clamp, which fits for example a Penn 146 squidder, is narrow enough for the PG 255 studs with sufficient room--just barely--for the clamp screws.

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 08, 2011, 05:06:57 AM
Well, today, Alan looked at my Pro Gear 251.  It's essentially a small, aluminum reel with guts like a Jigmaster.  To his discovery, someone (I bought the reel used) had changed the guts to a Penn Jigmaster.  The main gear was a high gear and Alan wondered is we could convert the drags from a 3+1 to a 5+1.  We took out the HT-100s, and Alan selected 5 Carbontex drag washers (I think they are the ones used for Abus) and also thin stainless steel metal washers also from SmoothDrag.  (Dimensions will follow).  I had to sand out the inner diameter to fit the OD of the new stainless gear sleeve.  Well, it work.  We were able to get 18# of drag, but the spool or spool shaft started to flex where the spool was rubbing the frame.  We backed it off and was able to get 12 of drag without the spool rubbing.  Anything higher caused the spool to rub.  This will be my deckhand rod reel for albies (if they ever come in close for me to try it out).

I was very impressed with the reel flexing without permanent warping.  Reel freespools awesome.

For those who don't know, the Pro Gear 251 is a wider Pro Gear 255.  We believe that the Pro Gear 255 should be able to get 15# of drag without the  spool rubbing in this configuration since the ability for spool to flex would be lessened with a narrower spooled reel.

Something worth considering if you want to upgrade your drags on your Pro Gear 251, 255, or Jigmaster 505..

Pics will follow as well.
Hello Bryan,
I saw in this post you talking about higher drag #'s making the pro gear 251's spool flexing.
In the larger pg441, do you know if the spool flexes in these at really high drag #'s like you
can get using an insert drag and all SS internals? I have your drag kits in two 441's, but
am thinking about putting in all SS internals including DD bridge, and then adding Pro
Challenger insert drag kits, but don't want to do it if I'll not be able to run my drags at
25-30#'s.
Thank you,
Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Bryan Young

Quote from: Darin Crofton on October 05, 2018, 04:32:27 PM
Well, today, Alan looked at my Pro Gear 251.  It's essentially a small, aluminum reel with guts like a Jigmaster.  To his discovery, someone (I bought the reel used) had changed the guts to a Penn Jigmaster.  The main gear was a high gear and Alan wondered is we could convert the drags from a 3+1 to a 5+1.  We took out the HT-100s, and Alan selected 5 Carbontex drag washers (I think they are the ones used for Abus) and also thin stainless steel metal washers also from SmoothDrag.  (Dimensions will follow).  I had to sand out the inner diameter to fit the OD of the new stainless gear sleeve.  Well, it work.  We were able to get 18# of drag, but the spool or spool shaft started to flex where the spool was rubbing the frame.  We backed it off and was able to get 12 of drag without the spool rubbing.  Anything higher caused the spool to rub.  This will be my deckhand rod reel for albies (if they ever come in close for me to try it out).

I was very impressed with the reel flexing without permanent warping.  Reel freespools awesome.

For those who don't know, the Pro Gear 251 is a wider Pro Gear 255.  We believe that the Pro Gear 255 should be able to get 15# of drag without the  spool rubbing in this configuration since the ability for spool to flex would be lessened with a narrower spooled reel.

Something worth considering if you want to upgrade your drags on your Pro Gear 251, 255, or Jigmaster 505..

Hello Bryan,
I saw in this post you talking about higher drag #'s making the pro gear 251's spool flexing.
In the larger pg441, do you know if the spool flexes in these at really high drag #'s like you
can get using an insert drag and all SS internals? I have your drag kits in two 441's, but
am thinking about putting in all SS internals including DD bridge, and then adding Pro
Challenger insert drag kits, but don't want to do it if I'll not be able to run my drags at
25-30#'s.
Thank you,
Darin
Hi Darin,

My PG441 is stock so I don't know if the spool will flex at higher drag numbers. Sorry.

Bryan

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 05, 2018, 04:37:35 PM
Quote from: Darin Crofton on October 05, 2018, 04:32:27 PM

Hello Bryan,
25-30#'s.
Thank you,
Darin
Hi Darin,

My PG441 is stock so I don't know if the spool will flex at higher drag numbers. Sorry.

Bryan

Thanks for the reply, Bryan.
Well, I'm going to let you know the answer soon, might as well try it out and be the guinea pig...

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Medic

Hi, what's the best Clamp Studs to use for the PG 251?   I found a nice custom clamp online but I do not have the studs.