Newell 533 Harness Lug Plugs

Started by SoulTips, August 26, 2015, 03:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoulTips

Ha guys,

First time post here, just got my hands on a Newell S533-5.5 and getting ready to bedazzle it a little. I stopped by Bryan's house yesterday to pick up his 5+1 drag kit
"Thanks Bryan" I also ordered a standard width Tib frame and a few other goodies for this reel. I'd love to take off the harness lugs and plug them, but I haven't seen any available anywhere. Are lug plugs something I need to custom make? Would I just cut a pair out of a stainless fender washer or maybe some sort of plastic. Love some feedback on this one.

swill88

have you tried turning the lugs upside down? The width will be perfect. The 113hn works this way.

vilters

my narrow 533 Tiburon frame kit came with harness lug plugs to take place of the originals, so you might check and see if standard width frame kit comes with those also. also a good idea to try flip them upside down like a Baja special. lastly, you can just grind down the lugs till flush with rings/sideplate, that's what I did for my 113h. just remove from reel and take a little off at a time until good.

Newell Nut

Email Tiburon or Gregg Chow chowderpuff7@yahoo.com and see if Gregg may have a set. What I do on my personal ones is take the existing lugs and cut the loop part off flush and then file the edges smooth. It is really easy and only takes a few minutes and they fit perfect back onto the plastic post. Sometimes you will find that Tiburon plugs will need a little filing as well to make them fit easily. When you file your own just put a little radius on the top edge to match the reel contour just to make it look a little more professional.

Keta

They probably can be cut by the water cutter but I've had an order there for 6 weeks.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoulTips

Thanks for the response guys. I just got off the phone with Tiburon, and the frame kits do come with lug plugs, standard width and narrow. I did try to flip the lugs upside down, but it hit the bridge plate, might work with a larger reel model. As it gets harder and harder to find parts for these reels, I try not to change or cut things other than a last resort.
I know these aren't a major part to the reel, but someone out there may need them. Thanks again for the response................

thinkwahoo

The Tib lugs have a slight radius on one edge so the form to the curvature of the side plate.