Penn 60

Started by sharkman, August 26, 2015, 06:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

I recently acquired a Penn 60.  The side plates are rough. I know this is a narrow reel and shares width with 1/0 and 501. Can you use the base, spool, and bar to narrow another reel other than the ones in the same family.

SteveL

Quote from: sharkman on August 26, 2015, 06:25:16 PM
I recently acquired a Penn 60.  The side plates are rough. I know this is a narrow reel and shares width with 1/0 and 501. Can you use the base, spool, and bar to narrow another reel other than the ones in the same family.

I believe the 60 shares the width of the Senator 2/0 (111), and the 85 and I think a few others.  These are slightly wider than the 1/0 and 501.

Although the 60 is the same width as the 2/0, it uses a different stand.  The screws are spaced differently so the stands are not interchangeable.

Ron Jones

The 2/0 also has 3 screws on the stand. The 60 is a great reel to start with if you like the 85 sized spool. I don't know that the 2/0 is any stronger although the 66 gear lets it build up much more drag. I just wrote a responce to someone asking abour an 85, the 60 is a pretty 85 with a clamp. The 60 base is really the secret unless someone ever makes an aftermarket base for this reel (I doubt it.)
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"