penn 85 upgrades????

Started by fishhawk, August 27, 2015, 04:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveL

Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 31, 2015, 12:20:43 PM
You are correct. ;) I was waiting for someone to catch that. ;D
I purchased the spool as a replacement for a long beach.
It came from ebay, so it is possible it could be for a 66.
Since the stand is a 66, I don't want to give incorrect info.

I was just about to ask a follow up question on the spools.    We know that the 60, 85, 111 and 112 share the same spool diameter, and the 60, 85 and 111 share the same spool width.   The 66, 67, and 68 share the right sideplate (27-66), so they share the same spool diameter.  Mysticparts.com lists the 29L-113 spool as fitting the 67, so the 67 and 113 have the same width and diameter

I have in hand a 66 sideplate and spools from a 60 and a 112.  No way those spool diameters match that sideplate, so I was going to ask about the spools and stand again.  

And here's the answer:

Quote from: mhc on August 31, 2015, 11:06:51 AM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 28, 2015, 05:07:09 PM
The Long beach spool fits right in. 66 spool and stand.

Daron shouldn't that be 65 spool and 66 stand, to make a replica 'Deaf Guy's 86' ;)

BTW, What's the reference to "Deaf Guy's 86"?

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

SteveL

Quote from: noyb72 on August 27, 2015, 05:01:57 PM
Oh, how I wish.
The 85 is a very popular reel just the way it is, Newell didn't do anything with it. You can add a 60 base from Penn that will add a clamp

Ron,

Were you talking about widening the 85 with the 65 spool and 66 stand with clamp as discussed above?  Or were you referring to this apparently long discontinued (around 1950)  stand with clamp for the 60:

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 06, 2014, 03:15:27 AM
I know that it has been a while, but it's always good to share some information from my good friend Ted.
Here is what he sent me:

Hello Sal, just been visiting the site (alantani) and saw a lengthy discussion about a penn 60 and possible upgrades. Someone pictured a 60 that has a clamp and others claimed it was from a 49, then it just kinda went away.

Well here it is, the 1941 long beach with the rod clamp and in same picture is optional accessories listed in the #9 catalog from 1941. The 4 different widths offered in the catalog pretty much covers most of penns lighter reels at that time, but it was a $2 add-on to a $6.50 reel(long beach 60), so it is very tough to find them. I believe they discontinued offering the 1-13/16 clamp stand(60) prior to 1950 or somewhere thereabout.

Perhaps you could share this pic with those on that thread.

P.S. This one is not for sale, and yes, it is all original to 1941 and it is a rare beauty.

Tight Lines my friend, Ted

Ron Jones

I KNEW I had seen one of those. I actually just blew it and didn't correct myself and then I thought that Penn did make some. Sort of the same as the fresh and salt water stands.

I was not recommending the 65 with a 66 stand. For collectors I could see needing a 65 but a 65 is really just a slow 112H. I am all about slow for live bait but the small spool already makes it slow. A long time ago Lee said he wanted to figure out how to fit a 60 spool to 112H side plates, I wish he'd get on with it, Tiburon is to rich for my blood.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

SteveL

Quote from: SteveL on September 06, 2015, 05:37:13 AM

Quote from: mhc on August 31, 2015, 11:06:51 AM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on August 28, 2015, 05:07:09 PM
The Long beach spool fits right in. 66 spool and stand.

Daron shouldn't that be 65 spool and 66 stand, to make a replica 'Deaf Guy's 86' ;)

BTW, What's the reference to "Deaf Guy's 86"?

OK, It's 4 in the morning, and I'm answering my own posts.

Quote from: George4741 on March 13, 2015, 04:42:31 AM
A short story about what could have happened:

After one of the Penn R&D folks created a widened version of the Delmar 285, now known as the 286, it was only natural to widen the Seaboy 85. R&D presented the proposed reel to the advertising and accounting folks for their input.  The head guy, we'll call him BC (short for Bean Counter) said "86 that."  The R&D guy, who was mostly deaf from exposure to artillery fire in WWI, said "That sounds like a great idea.  Since a widened 285 is now the 286, it's only natural that the similarly widened 85 will be called the 86."  BC said "No, no, I mean I want to 86 this reel!  Kill it, sink it, toss it into Davy Jones Locker!  Do not put it into production!  We have too many similar reels as it is and you guys are driving me crazy!" Dejectedly, Deaf Guy held the wonderful creation in his shaking hands and left the office, self-esteem so totally destroyed that he never created another reel during what was left of his short career at Penn.  He died a broken man in a flop house on skid row in Portland, empty Carling Black Label bottles littering the floor around his bed, while awaiting a tramp steamer to Shanghai.  Thankfully, good ideas never die and Deaf Guy would be elated to know that more than three generations later his reel would be revived, in design and name, by another Renaissance man who also had a vision.  We all know this man by the name of Shark Hunter.

Now you know the strange story behind the creation and name of the Seaboy 86. ::)

Published with permission from Daron.  
Thanks Buddy,
George

mhc

Hi SteveL - Just saw your question about the reference to 'Deaf Guy's 86' - after you found the post. I think if the deaf guy could have suggested a narrow 501 width "84" today, he might have convinced the current bean counters. 
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Darin Crofton

I know this is an older post, but does anyone know if the spool from an 85L seaboy will fit on the 111? The 85 I have has an aluminum spool and I'm not sure if it will fit on the 2/0? Thanks!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Ron Jones

Slides right in. They share the same pinion and dimensions.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Ron Jones on November 06, 2018, 04:34:58 AM
Slides right in. They share the same pinion and dimensions.
The Man
Sweet, just picked up a brand new in box 85L for $25 delivered and will use that spool for my 2/0 project. Thank you, Ron! Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?