Some gear i use

Started by jackjock, August 28, 2015, 10:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackjock

Thought I would show the forum of some of the gear I use for fishing in the UK. The rod is a 14ft backcaster,the reel is a daiwa 6000ts . On the photo 2 the reel is the penn 7500lc. Both pictures where taken on the Holderness coast east Yorkshire in England.

Steve-O

Nice rigs. How's the fishing?   And welcome aboard!

Steve

jackjock

Quote from: Steve-O on August 28, 2015, 12:26:43 PM
Nice rigs. How's the fishing?   And welcome aboard!

Steve
Not very good at the moment. A bit hit and miss,last time out had a thornback ray and a few smooth hounds.

Keta

Nice!  How large are the tide swings where you fish?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Steve-O

Nice, I will be (hopefully) picking up a few shark next month in Alaska to go with the chips. Do you keep and eat them? How about the rays?  I've eaten ray wings...In the Southern, Coastal USA they call them Poor man's scallops - same great taste only the meat grain runs sideways to a scallop's vertical.

jackjock

The tides can get very strong depending where you are on the coast. This makes it unfishable with weed and current. The further you go towards spurn head which is at the river humber mouth, the stronger the tides are. You can eat the fish on the photos but unless I'm in a match I tend to put them back. Thornback rays make good eating but you've got to take the wings off as soon as you catch them. If you don't the flesh tastes of ammonia.

Steve-O

Right-o! Same with any shark. Correct and quick dispatch, bleed, behead,gut and ice down to eliminate the possibility of the shark urinating - ureaic acid through its muscle meat and skin which is the ammonia flavor source.

Boy, those tides make for some difficult sessions.