Upgrade to JigMaster 500

Started by Reel 224, August 29, 2015, 05:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Completed my upgrade to my Jigmaster 500 today, installed Pro Challengers SS double dog Bridge, SS gear sleeve, and SS 5:1 Gear ratio. Also Bryan Young's Ultimate Upgrade 5+1 drag system. Everything went smoothly all parts fit well with no problems, because I ordered the deeper cut 5:1 gear I added 1 more Carbontex washer with 1 additional keyed washer. It's given me more adjustment on the drag side then I will ever need. The entire system is tight and very quiet...no winding sounds from the SS gears as I have heard others mention. I am completely satisfied with everything that I have done to this reel, My complements to Alan C from Pro Challenger and Bryan Young's Ultimate 5+1 Upgrade drag system.

Ive taken some simple pictures of the finished product, I'm not good enough yet to do a piece by piece tutorial.

Joe

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

STRIPER LOU

Nice job Joe. Your gonna love that reel! Keep an eye out for a 99 or 501. Another great jigmaster to hot rod. I just picked up another 501. Yup, I really needed it! lol
Regards,  ..  Lou

Alto Mare

Great job Joe, now you need to control yourself or those will multiply like bunnies ;D.
Congratulations! You got yourself a sticky.
Take the wife out to dinner to celebrate ;) ;D.
Thanks for sharing pal.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Nice job Joe.  That turned out really nice.

I have all the parts, including the gold frame, and an anaversity spool to do a similar build.  I just need a jig master 500, and I would like a gold Accurate handle, to complete the build.  I have so many projects going on right now, not sure when I will get to this one.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Gfish

Allen provides excellent service. Fast when you buy and great "after the sale" service. That includes tweaks, returns, E-mails and phonecalls. Please A.C., don't turn Pro Challenger into a big corporation!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Decker

Joe, just a practical question for my own curiosity...  What does a Jersey fisherman use a Jigmaster 500 to catch?  Gator bluefish?  Big black drum?  Small sharks?   Big stripers?  What would you use this tanked reel for?  Thanks.

RUSTY OLD COLT

Here on Long Island Penn 500/501 reels are used for ocean fluke, blackfish ,blues, and stripers . Like Sal said you will keep on building them and modifying them . They just seem to multiply

Reel 224

Quote from: Decker on April 05, 2018, 01:45:28 PM
Joe, just a practical question for my own curiosity...  What does a Jersey fisherman use a Jigmaster 500 to catch?  Gator bluefish?  Big black drum?  Small sharks?   Big stripers?  What would you use this tanked reel for?  Thanks.

Joe; I built that particular reel to fish for big stripers and Tog and yes I dream a little bit. ;) :D I'M also building reels for the customer that wants a hot rod reel for himself.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Eddie Hernandez

Really Kool!! I have a 500 and a 500s I want to Hot Rod myself, maybe after this season!!!

Reel 224

Quote from: Eddie Hernandez on April 09, 2018, 09:46:53 PM
Really Kool!! I have a 500 and a 500s I want to Hot Rod myself, maybe after this season!!!

It's a good reel to start with Eddie and make sure to that some pictures.

Joe

handi2

Very nice Joe. The fish wont have a chance.

The only time i have problems with the gears is after testing the drag at 20lbs. It seems after that they are grinding. I even sent them to Sal to check them out. I guess I need to break them in on some fish instead of sitting on a shelf. I used the deep cut and the hex drag ones.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

RamseyReelRepair

Looks great Joe! Be sure to give us some pictures of the stuff you catch with it. Hopefully I'll be upgrading my Buddy's 500 soon. Got to get through these ambassadeurs first.

West
Check out the website and gallery!
😎http://www.ramseyreelrepair.com😎

Reel 224

West; that picture is old that reel is completely different today. As I got exposed to more and more upgrades I have built more reels on the up side of just parts.

Joe   

RamseyReelRepair

Check out the website and gallery!
😎http://www.ramseyreelrepair.com😎

Reel 224

These are two I found of the 500&501...................Joe