Vintage Rods Value?

Started by handi2, September 03, 2015, 10:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

I noticed on the reeltalk thread that the rod was "restored" with polyurethane.  The original finish would have been spirit shellac or an oil varnish.  If it had been a fine painting they would have removed the excess layers of finish and stopped at the original layer leaving the ink signature underneath intact.  If you stay with the original finishing material (shellac or varnish) the original finish can be bought back to life and look as good as new because the solvents (alcohol or turpentine) meld the old and new resins together.  Once polyurethane is put on something the original finish is lost forever because to get the polyurethane off you would completely dissolved everything under it.
-steve

Penn Chronology

QuoteFrom what I can glean from Google Books (EPA documents), and MSDSs, it is a leather that is treated with a compound to make it waterproof... or maybe an early faux waterproof leather?

I agree with that but I have never been able to find anything concrete about the Product name.

QuoteI noticed on the reeltalk thread that the rod was "restored" with polyurethane.  The original finish would have been spirit shellac or an oil varnish.  If it had been a fine painting they would have removed the excess layers of finish and stopped at the original layer leaving the ink signature underneath intact.  If you stay with the original finishing material (shellac or varnish) the original finish can be bought back to life and look as good as new because the solvents (alcohol or turpentine) meld the old and new resins together.  Once polyurethane is put on something the original finish is lost forever because to get the polyurethane off you would completely dissolved everything under it.
-steve

No worries of ever getting this rod back to the original shellac and varnish finish. When it was restored, all of that was removed. It had been recoated a number of times over the years and the original coating were a mess. I did not have the rod coated with the modern high build epoxy's of today, it was coated with a simple one part mix Min-Wax high gloss poly that could easily be removed. The restoration was done with the consideration that this rod would be retired and destined for a museum shelf. The people at the Useppa Historical Society, who run the Useppa Museum in Florida were over joyed with it. I understand your point and you are correct if the rod was to be put back in service. I would have used Spar Varnish if that was the case, but that was unnecessary.

oc1

Understand Michael.  I feel bad now because I was not trying to be hyper-critical and have been watching too much Antiques Road Show.  To remove the finish layer-by-layer like they do paintings would be prohibitively expensive.  But, if you throw enough money at it almost anything is possible.  They could probably pull the varnish out of the winding thread and reuse it too.
-steve

Penn Chronology

QuoteUnderstand Michael.  I feel bad now because I was not trying to be hyper-critical and have been watching too much Antiques Road Show.  To remove the finish layer-by-layer like they do paintings would be prohibitively expensive.  But, if you throw enough money at it almost anything is possible.  They could probably pull the varnish out of the winding thread and reuse it too.
-steve

No reason to feel bad. All feelings about anything are what makes topics interesting. Different views add to learning and justification and in my world are also, Welcome. My response was not to say you were wrong, it was simply to clarify why I did it my way.

Benni3

Finally got a rod for my 9/0

handi2

That's a very nice solid fiberglass rod. They don't break!!

I have at least a dozen bamboo rods in different conditions. One day I will get them down and take some pictures.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bill B

Ben thats a fish killer in anyones book....looks like a great pairing.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Benni3

Thanks guys and keep those reels a rolling

Benni3

This is my girlfriend in morehead nc,,she didn't want to use the new gear

The Great Maudu