what mono and why

Started by mak1, September 04, 2015, 07:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mak1

hi all
i have a makaira 20 I will be spooling up with mono from top to bottom in a .60mm ish. This will be used for sharks here in the UK. I am thinking of using Momoi  as its one I can order over here. What is the difference between the diamond and hi-catch mono.

what dose the hi-catch and the diamond  break at
is this a knot strength as iv been told both are a strong line
the has the most abrasion resistance
thanks

Tiddlerbasher

Hi mak1 - Have a look at this site - http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetestingplastic.htm
He is (was-I don't think he updates the site any more :'() probably the only independant line tester out there ;)

Shark Hunter

I use Sufix. Either Superior or Tritanium. With Sharks, you need abrasion resistance. I think its the best out there for the money.
Most of the lines are made overseas. JMO
Life is Good!

xaf

Momoi Hi-Catch has lower memory and is a bit more flexible.  Diamond is more abrasion resistant.  Both stretch quite a bit and both test well above the line rating.  Both are good lines. 

mak1

I have used Berkley big game in the past but its not as easy to get hold off now in more than a 4oz spool
how dose the diamond stack up against the big game

SoCalAngler

I use to work in a tackle shop and got to test all the lines they carried for free and some others that reps. were trying to sell us that the shop did not have in stock. For diameter to breaking strength with low memory I like Izorline's Triple X. I have been fishing the XXX for around 10 or 11 years now pretty much exclusively when it comes to mono or mono topshots. It is a co-polymer (fluoro over mono) has a lot of stretch like most mono's that are not thick like rope. It has good abrasion resistance do the the mono being coated by the harder fluoro. If you can get some give it a try as you may like it also.

When ever it comes down to what is someones favorite line it is almost like asking what is the best ice cream flavor. Everyone has an opinion and no one has tried them all but if you have a chance and you do try something different you may just find you like it.

I started out fishing the Trilene Big Game and it is not a bad line at all but if I have a choice I'll take the Triple X every time.

MarkT

I like the Izor XXX too. It's a lot like the P-Line CXX that I used for years. You can't find Big Game? It's available everywhere here. I don't think Izor is available everywhere. The first spectra line was from Izorline!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

exp2000

I used to be right into land based game a good many years ago. Our kilometre long Jetty in the remote coastal town of Broome saw winter catches of 60 mackerel some mornings. A few months into the season I would become bored of landing 8 kilo broadbars and would start putting them out for livebait - but that's another story.

This seasonal hot bite afforded me a great opportunity to hone both my technique and my gear. I tried many monofilament line brands. Some were better than others but one brand was that was such a standout that I have perused it all over the world: Ande IGFA Tournament.

Now it should be realised that lines will perform differently on spinning reels compared to overheads as each favour different characteristics.
I have not tried the Izorline, but when I could not get the Ande, I tried such acclaimed brands as Moimoi, Stren, Berkley and numerous others. Now despite any lofty reputation these brands might hold, I found them to be distinctly inferior to Ande IGFA. The runner-up would have to be Stren but it's a bit stiff for egg beaters.

For abrasion resistance, low memory and line twist Ande is king. I have hung up large fish around barnacle encrusted pylons just waiting for it to break but much to my disbelief; I remained connected and won the game. It is supple, yet hard as wire; does not suffer from line twist – it is the closest thing to perfect I have tried.

Only problem is, it can be damned hard to get so when I do find it, I buy up bigtime. It might be easier to find in your part of the world.

Good luck.

Normslanding

mak1

thanks all
iv looked at loads now

I have found I can get the two below easy also

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/shimano-tiagra-ultra-igfa~24212.html

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/shimano-tiagra-ultra-igfa~24212.html

do you know the differences between them and is it any good

iv 

mak1

that's what I was thinking why the hell is it not just one line with 3 colours options

mackereljoe

I'm also sold with izor xxx in smoke for #30 and below and clear for #40 and up.

wtlfsh

Izorline XXX is a copolymer blend, it is not a fluorocarbon coated line. If you test the XXX line by the diameter it is stronger than fluorocarbon but not as hard. If you want a hard more abrasion resistant line the Izorline First String is more abrasion resistant and is just as strong. With the Izorline you can afford to downsize in diameter if you are having a tough time getting bit. For example, instead of tying on 20# FC (breaks close to 20 lbs.) you can downsize to Izorline 15# line and have a smaller diameter but better breaking strength. Our 15# is .0015 in diameter but breaks around 25 lbs. on a straight break on the line testing machine and its affordable. If your tackle store does not carry Izorline have them contact me and I will see what I can do to get it into your local tackle store. My email is izorlineinternational@yahoo.com or they can call our office and ask for me (562)531-6000 I am the National Sales Manager of Izorline.

Best regards,
Wendy Tochihara

alantani

since the original post is from last year, i'm gonna hijack it a little.....

wendy, i've finally got some breathing room and i've got an entire 5 foot shelf on the winding bench to fill with izorline.  i know you gave me the contact info of the guy to call, but that's long buried and gone!  i'm looking at topshots of 30, 40, 50 and 60, and homemade wind ons in 80, 100, 130 and 200.  i read all the info on your website and also the stuff on charkbait, but i'm still gonna need to have you help me pick.  i will try to catch up with you later this week, when you are back to work.  enjoy your holiday weekend!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

Wendy that's awesome. I have always used Momoi on my bluewater trolling reels from Tiagra 30W's to 80W's and it does get expensive lining them every year.

I'm definitely headed to your website to learn more about your products.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL