Double-Eye Rods

Started by sundancer, September 07, 2015, 03:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundancer

Good day.

Amazing Site.  I have been on the Reel side for quite awhile getting help on old Penn Reels.  Have acquired quite a few because of the shared advise.

Question....

Have seen a few split bamboo Rods with double-eyes, eye directly opposing each other and a tip eye that is horizontal or perpendicular to the Rod.

What is the reason for the double-eyes?

Thanks
Steve
Miles to go.....,

foakes

Good for catching two fish at the same time! -- Multiple hook-ups...

Actually --

Many old bamboo/wood rods had the double guides as the blanks often took a "set" or bend with extended fishing. The double guides allowed the angler to rotate the tip section periodically to negate that effect. The "Tulip" tip allowed the line to flow from either position.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sundancer

Fred, thanks.  Loaded question - are they worth anything?  Can they be still be used?

Steve

PS.

You provided some of the Reel info. Thanks again for your help.

S
Miles to go.....,

Tiddlerbasher

Yes they can be used - I used a Hardy one recently (just for novelty - caught 1 fish then put it away :))
Some are worth a lot of money - some not - Who made it and when?

sundancer

Tiddler......

Ok, thanks.  I am looking at a couple. 

Big help. 

Steve
Miles to go.....,

Steve-O

If it is a valuable one...be very careful if you fish it.....it could become less valuable with a sob story.

Also some of the old ones have agate guides....don't run braid through them.

Great wall hangers....less great for fishing with more than once if that.

Dominick

Hey you rod experts.  This brings to mind that it might be possible to put conventional guides and spiral wrap on the same blank.  Do you think it can be done and if so is there any real benefit in doing so?  It would be fun to see one though.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Newell Nut

A guy gave me two of those old bamboo rods and I don't know what I am going to do with them yet. Wall hangers for sure and that tip top looks really strange. The guides are gone but the rods are not broken and have neat wooden handles.

sundancer

Hey Gents,

Thanks for all the info, esp the agate.  Don't think I would have run braid but now I won't.

Dom, you helped me out on the Reel side.  Thanks

Will keep you informed..  they just look really odd..

Steve
Miles to go.....,

Steve-O

You're welcome on my part. In old wooden archery epquipment...longbows,esp. ...old means brittle dried out wood which has lost its spring....which means "SNAP!"  when you draw it back. Same could apply to wooden rods. Bamboo not so much...they do get weak though. Good luck with your treasures.

Bruce

Dominic
              Look up Vance rods . He has been making them for some time . Very highly regarded and quite popular for kokanee trolling .

Buzz
Buzz