My S454 5 Build

Started by Tightlines667, September 10, 2015, 06:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

I'm getting ready to start my S454 5 build and thought I would commemorate the occasion with a picture.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Looking at all those parts...

1-Tiburon N440 Frame (Silver)
1-Tiburon N440 Spool (Silver)
1-Tiburon Rod Clamp (Black)
1-Shimano Chromed Bronze Offset Handle Assembly
2-Boca ABEC 5 SS bearings
2-SS Frame Harness Slugs
1-Brian's 5+1 Drag Kit
2-Delron washers (under gear, top of stack)
4-Delron bearing shims
10-SS Hex Frame Screws
4-SS Hex Bridge screws
1-SS Top Hat Washer
4-SS Gear Sleeve, washers
1-Uluajunkies SS clicker kit
1-Uluajunkies Lever conversion Kit
4-SS C Clips
1-SS Gear Sleeve retaining screw

...I kinda have to wonder how this stuff is going to all fit in this little reel.

Hope I didn't go overboard?

At least I got a great deal on the used reel ($50).

Hope springs eternal

alantani

um, maybe a little......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Yogi_fish808

Gearing up to catch some uluas this season? What rod are u pairing her with?

Newell Nut

Quote from: Tightlines666 on September 10, 2015, 06:35:50 AM
Looking at all those parts...

1-Tiburon N440 Frame (Silver)
1-Tiburon N440 Spool (Silver)
1-Tiburon Rod Clamp (Black)
1-Shimano Chromed Bronze Offset Handle Assembly
2-Boca ABEC 5 SS bearings
2-SS Frame Harness Slugs
1-Brian's 5+1 Drag Kit
2-Delron washers (under gear, top of stack)
4-Delron bearing shims
10-SS Hex Frame Screws
4-SS Hex Bridge screws
1-SS Top Hat Washer
4-SS Gear Sleeve, washers
1-Uluajunkies SS clicker kit
1-Uluajunkies Lever conversion Kit
4-SS C Clips
1-SS Gear Sleeve retaining screw

...I kinda have to wonder how this stuff is going to all fit in this little reel.

Hope I didn't go overboard?

At least I got a great deal on the used reel ($50).

This looks like a fun build. It all should fit nicely and if the sleeve feels a little tight after assembly put the star on and squeeze a little cals out and it should free up. The top delrin can be the issue and I use a .020 on top with the .031 under the gear. The star will rarely back off to zero drag.

Enjoy.

bluefish69

Enjoy yourself this build should take you 1 1/2hrs. the way you work with those monster 130's. This will be simple.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Tightlines667

I forgot that I've also got a SS star on the way, and will likely drop a SS gear sleeve in once they become available.  I actually have 3 Delron washers, a cupped spring washer, and some wavy spring washers as well so hopefully I can come up with a good arrangement here.

BTW the stock Newell parts from this reel are spoken for (sending 'em out to another AT member). 
Waste not, want not.
Hope springs eternal

Newell Nut

Bring it with you Christmas and we can break it in on some snappers.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Newell Nut on September 10, 2015, 10:50:40 PM

Absolutely!  Sounds like a plan to me.  I wouldn'T mind a King or a Cobia as well.  Looks like I will be around the week following XMAS this year. 
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on September 10, 2015, 10:11:29 AM

Actually, I was setting this one up for bottomfishing.  Not sure what rod I'm going to use yet.  I was actually thinking of buying a Penn Rampage boat rod, and maybe try custom wrapping something finer a little later on down the road.  

I had a IRW/tricked out/widened 546 for slide baiting, but actually never got out, so I sold both.  This was back in October 2013.  I have been kinda regreting selling the reel now.  I am keeping my eyes open for another 500 or 600 series on the cheap (like another $50 special) to replace this one.  

Do you fish Oahu?
Hope springs eternal

Newell Nut

Quote from: Tightlines666 on September 11, 2015, 01:59:46 AM
Quote from: Newell Nut on September 10, 2015, 10:50:40 PM

Absolutely!  Sounds like a plan to me.  I wouldn'T mind a King or a Cobia as well.  Looks like I will be around the week following XMAS this year. 

If you do not want to travel with a rod, I have plenty for you to mount your reel on as well as the local terminal tackle needs. Wishing you luck on your 500 or 600 on the cheap side. Almost impossible. I tried to get another 540 3.2 this week but bidding jumped to 258 in the closing seconds.

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: Tightlines666 on September 11, 2015, 06:33:18 AM
Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on September 10, 2015, 10:11:29 AM

Actually, I was setting this one up for bottomfishing.  Not sure what rod I'm going to use yet.  I was actually thinking of buying a Penn Rampage boat rod, and maybe try custom wrapping something finer a little later on down the road.  

I had a IRW/tricked out/widened 546 for slide baiting, but actually never got out, so I sold both.  This was back in October 2013.  I have been kinda regreting selling the reel now.  I am keeping my eyes open for another 500 or 600 series on the cheap (like another $50 special) to replace this one.  

Do you fish Oahu?

Yep I live on Oahu. I'm mostly a Penn guy but a 500/600 series for under $50, is that even possible

Newell Nut

It is possible but highly unlikely. I cleaned up a 641 for a guy and put new drags in it and bearings. His wife bought it at a yard sale for $10. Once in a lifetime deal. Watch Obituary for a fisherman to die and go to his wife's yard sale. ;D

Tightlines667

Quote from: Newell Nut on September 13, 2015, 12:04:35 PM
It is possible but highly unlikely. I cleaned up a 641 for a guy and put new drags in it and bearings. His wife bought it at a yard sale for $10. Once in a lifetime deal. Watch Obituary for a fisherman to die and go to his wife's yard sale. ;D

Lol.

I have a couple of guys looking for me.  I bought that 546 for $50, had $350 into it and sold it for $400.  I got this 454 for $50, and will have $400 into it (with the line).  Obviously resale margin would have been greatest if I left them alone, but where is the fun in that?

I ended up buying a Shimano Talavera TEC-59HRS, 5'9", 20-40lb, Heavy Medium-Fast, with ATCO roller stripper and tip, and Fuji Alum oxide boat guides.  Retails for $129.99, got it on clearance for under $100 out the door.  I plan on fishing straight 60lb ANDE Premium on this set up.  I like the roller guides, the short gimbaled butt, the heavy backbone, and action in a short overall package.  It is a bit heavy though, and will not cast.

BTW thanks for the advice on this build Dwight.  I checked my Delron washers...all 4 are .031 thickness.  I'm sure I will figure the spacing out, and drag stack configuration out.  Probably go with a standard CF on the bottom, then a standard SS washer, followed by 8 of Brian's 0.20 CF and SS washers, then a Delron, then a cupped, then another Delron before the SS star.  I have plenty of 0.20 SS gear sleeve spacer washers, 0.31 SS handle spacer washers, and a few of the light and a heavy wavy spring washers to play with as well.  Adam's thinner star should give me a little room to work with here.  I also have a Delron for under the clicker pawl, and several as bearing shims. 

Dwight, do you know if the newer style SS dogs will be available with the newer SS sleeves?  If so, selling them as a kit might be a great option.

Thanks again for your help.

Yogi,
I may need to tag along with you on one of your local Ulua adventures.  I know the slide-baiting here on Oahu can be challenging, and some of the spots are closely guarded secrets, so no worries if you like to keep 'em that way.  I have only done small kind whipping and slide baiting and have mostly come up empty.  Honestly, I have trouble finding the time to fish with all the reels that come accross my bench.

Hope springs eternal

Newell Nut

Adam's star will give you plenty of room on the outside. Where you can run into space issues is the Belleville bumping the side plate. The penn style that Bryan ships with washers is a smaller OD than the Newell one and allows you more room on the side plate. Your stack should be .031 delrin under the gear. In the gear is a .7mm CF , standard keyed washer, then 4 of Bryan's thin CFs and SS washers, then .020 delrin and the penn style Belleville (18-505). This is the best for the 200 to 400 series. You may get by with the .031 delrin instead of the .020 on top. You will always have light drag when totally backed off which is not a bad thing at all. Keeps water out.