My S454 5 Build

Started by Tightlines667, September 10, 2015, 06:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

All cleaned up and ready for assembly.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Finished up the reel.  After experimenting a bit with the washer configuration, I decided to use a 0.31 Delron on top followed by a large cupped washer, and a smaller fitted cupped opposing it, then the bronze bushing, then a small wavy spring, then a SS spacer, and another small Delron under the star, a larger one on top of the star, and a single SS handle spacer, then the handle, then the 2 handle nut washers.  Like: ])(=}|]☆[|H
where:
[ ] are Delron washers
() are cupped spring/Belleville washers
= is bronze bushing
} is a small SS wavy spring/Belleville washer
| is a SS spacer washer
☆ is the star
H is the handle

The thinner star allows for a little more spacing and different options above the drag stack.  These Delron washers do a really nice job of fully isolating the drag stack, as well as the star making both exceedingly smooth.  The 2 cupped washers give me a slow, more linear ramp up with a steeper upper end drag curve, and the wavy washer keeps the star under slight tension with the drag backed all the way off.  I have just the lightest amount of drag here.  The build went pretty smooth, and was less then 2 hrs total time.  However, I made a dumb rookie mistake that is visable in the photos.  At least it can be corrected.

Fun build.  I like this reel already.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Newell Nut

Looks great and you will really enjoy the offset handle.