Magging a Penn Baja Special 113hn reel with static mag

Started by steelfish, September 11, 2015, 05:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well this might not be needed but I was bored this past Sunday and I said why not, it wont hurt anything and it might help on a windy day
I static mag my Baja Special, nothing impresive or new here, just wanted to put it as reference this works the same on any jigmaster, 112h, 113h, Baja Special and the new blood of US senator reels.

I have a bunch of rare earth magnets in different sizes but at the end I went with a strong magnet that I got from a trashed computer Hard disc, the reason, nothing important really but since the spool is kind of big I prefered to have one big magnet instead of 4-5 small magnets there, you can always take the big magnet and put 3-4 small rare magnets and do a fine tunning according your preferences.

for me, this FREE magnet also add the perfect magnetic field to prevent backlashes and still let me to trow a 4oz jig up to 60yds with no much effort with a 7ft stiff rod, free spool got reduced by 50% aprox, tho.
it went from 50-60 seconds that have before to now it spins for 25-30 seconds only, but since mostly I will be use the reel for yoyo fishing and trolling I dont see any problem there, I got another reels for live fishing and casting surface irons

all starts with gluing two or three metal washers, with your prefered methong, crazy glue, gorilla glue, epoxic, etc

after the washers are glued, then I cover them with a buch of yamaha grease for corrosion protection

the magnet is so strong the it just dont care about the grease it will jump from your hands to get on the washers, its not visible in same pic but I also covered the magnet all around the day BEFORE with nail polish acrylic to prevent any source of corrosion with the saltwater.

now the reel is rookie proof went casting a heavy jig (if needed) and ready to rock

The Baja Guy