Started by josa1, September 17, 2015, 05:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josa1

Picture replacement in process.

josa1

Well, what's this??!!

DSCN1195

DSCN1194

It's a Penn 15KG that I'm servicing for a friend.  Interesting reel, and my good friend likes it a lot for the lighter "heavier" lines, i.e. 60-80 pound test. I have serviced this reel a few times and have found no problems with it, so it seems reliable.  Thought I should share my findings with all.

Schematic of the Penn 15KG from Mikes:

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/penn/Penn_15KG.pdf

Have to admit that I had cleaned everything and was reassembling when I thought that this might be useful for some and maybe should put it on Alan's great site. I'm pretty much a clean freak so although it's not shown in this disertation every part was cleaned, blown dry greased and reinstalled.  The spool bearings were cleaned and lubed with TSI 321.  I found that the pinion bearing had also been oiled instead of greased (I did that??!!) so I cleaned it thoroughly repacked it with Yamaha Marine Grease.

So here we go.  As usual, I'll do the best I can but If you folks with more experience with this reel want to add or correct something, just feel free to bring it to my attention and I'll be happy to change or incorporate it.

By the way, this reel has been blue printed by Cal Sheets so it's an opportunity for you to see some spacers in places that the parts list does not show.  Also, the reel has a spool sleeve.  It develops a lot of drag while maintaining good free spool.  After rebuilding, I tested it at 22 pounds strike, which got 36 pounds at full and it still free spooled for more than a minute with just a small spool flick.

This reel separates into three pieces,  right side plate, spool assembly and reel body.  There left side plate is incorporated into the spool body.

So, let's started by taking the right side apart.

On the handle, remove the two shift housing screws (39) that hold the shifting mechanism in place.  There is nothing about this reel that is hard to service but I would say properly reinstalling the shifting mechanism on the handle was one of two patience "testing" operations.  So note carefully how this mechanism sets on the handle.

DSCN1203

Picture of the screws.

DSCN1204

Remove the shifting mechanism by using the factory supplied wrench.  The metal handle locking plate (110A) is screwed into the gear stud.

DSCN1205

Here is a picture of the shift housing removed.  Note the two small springs, they fell out of the shift assembly as I was backing it out of the gear stud (134).  That's usually not a good sign!

DSCN1206

These are the parts that secure the handle to the reel, they include the gear stud shield (50).  The two spacing washers were not shown on the parts list and I believe them to be part of the blue printing process.

DSCN1208

The next step is to remove the drag preset knob (144).  It backs right out.

DSCN1210

As usual, take good care of small parts like the small teflon washer (4)

DSCN1211

Remove the two bridge screws (39A).  Note they are not machine threads!  I handle these carefully when I install them.

DSCN1213

Remove the bridge cover (124)

DSCN1214

Then the bushing (26)

DSCN1215

Here are the eccentric lever (21) the cam follower (141), the bushing (26) and the bridge cover (124)

DSCN1216

Next remove the quadrant ring (2).  The two screws (16) that secure the quadrant ring to the frame are also part of the system that holds the right side plate to the reel body.

DSCN1217

Now we can remove the right side plate.  I always start with the two small screws on back side of the side plate (46A).

DSCN1218

There are four more screws to remove.  Two long screws (31) that hold the right hand harness lug (54) and the right side of the top spacer bar (37) in place.

DSCN1220

After these four screws are removed, separate the reel into its three major components...right side plate, spool assembly and reel body.  Some views of these components are below.

DSCN1222

DSCN1223

Remove the two screws (46) on the left side of the reel body that secure the left harness lug (54) and top spacer bar (37) to the left side of the reel.

DSCN1224

DSCN1225

Next, take the right side plate components apart.  This would be the anti reverse system the main gears and the shift mechanism.  It's obvious from looking at this photo that the gear stack has to come off if you want to pull and service the pinion bearing.

DSCN1229

If you look into the center hole of the gear stud you can see a small plastic spacer.  At this point I decided the shift mechanism was very similar to the V series reels.

DSCN1230

Using my trusty Old Timer pocket knife, I fish the spring spacer (172A) out of the gear stud.

DSCN1231

Underneath the spring spacer is the heavy shift spring (18H).  I took a picture but it was totally fuzzed up.

???

Now under the heavy spring is a screw (171, shift plunger).  Reach in the gear stud with a screwdriver and remove the screw.  When you've backed it out a couple of turns, give it a tap and that will push the low speed gear (5L) away from the high speed gear (5H).  Note that I use the handle on the gear stud to provide back up for the screw removal.

DSCN1232

DSCN1234

Still remaining in the gear stud is the light shift spring (18L).  Insert a "Q" tip into the hole, force it into the spring, then pull the spring out.

DSCN1235

Shown are the internal components that control low and high speed gear selection.

DSCN1236

Next, remove the retaining plate screws (101S) and the retaining plate (119) from the low speed gear.

DSCN2348

I use a tool to pull the retaining plate off the low speed gear.  If you loosened the gear by tapping the shift plunger as you were pulling it out, this will be pretty easy, if not, not so much.  That Marine Grease sticks things together pretty well.

DSCN1239

After the low speed gear is removed, you can see the high speed gear retaining ring (173).  This is the old style outside diameter snap ring and I think it is best to just open the ring up enough to slide it out of its groove and then slide it up and off the shaft.  I think this is better because the ring needs to be opened up a lot, too much?, to get it to move sideways off the shaft.

DSCN1241

Slide the retaining ring out of its groove.

DSCN1242

Slide it up and off the shaft.  It moves pretty easily.

DSCN1243

I discover more spacers.  They are installed on the end of the pinion gears and adjust the clearance between the pinion gears and pinion bearing.

DSCN1244

We can now remove anti reverse system.  This is the other part of this reel that is a little trying.  The dog bridge cover (62C) is held in place by three "E" clips (69B).

DSCN1245

So, first remove those....This is a good time to look at how the anti reverse system works.  Note the the tips of the dogs (15) point to the right and ride lightly on the back side of the low speed pinion gear facilitated by the hairlike dog springs.    So as viewed, we can infer that normal rotation is counterclockwise. If the reel tries to spin backwards the dogs are forced lightly into the low speed pinion gear teeth to stop that rotation.  Also see that there are stops for both the dogs to rest on.  Once stopped, the pinion gears will be held firmly in place.  If necessary the spool will rotate backwards on the drag washer.

DSCN1247

Carefully remove the dog bridge and this is what you'll see.

DSCN1248

DSCN1249

Remove the dogs (15) and dog springs (14) and place aside.  This is what you'll see.  Note that there is a stand off bushing (157) on the center post.  I never did remove this bushing for this show and tell, but had done so earlier.  Also, use your handy dandy bearing puller to remove the pinion bearing at this time.  You'll be left with this......

DSCN1250

After cleaning everything and servicing the pinion bearing, begin reassembly by installing the pinion bearing in its recess.

DSCN1251

Next, install the dog springs, note how they are anchored.  There is a long leg and a short leg on the spring.  In this picture, it is shown that the long legs are pointed down and are placed against the reel body in the places shown.  The short legs of the springs point up and will be placed against the anti reverse dogs.

DSCN1254

Install the dogs and the cover.  This is where it gets a little dicey.  I keep having problems with the dog springs jumping off the dogs as I try to position the dog stops, part of the cover, correctly.  Eventually I get it done, but its not fun.   When you get to this point, you can install the "E" clips that hold the cover in place.

DSCN1256

To install the gears, begin by lubing the gear stud and pushing into position.

DSCN1257

Next install the high speed gear and retaining ring.  I install the retaining ring like I take it off, slide it over the end of the shaft and slide it down the shaft until it locks in its recess.  It's a good idea to push on the snap ring to be certain that its fully seated in the recess.  Then lube and install the low speed gear.

DSCN1258

DSCN1259

Install the gear retaining plate (119).  After these are lubed up they'll stay in place while you put the shifting mechanism together.

DSCN1260

Insert the light shift spring on the shift plunger, lube and place in the gear stud.

DSCN1261

DSCN1263

Start the screw into the retainer plate for a couple of threads, then turn the retaining plate until the screw holes line up.

DSCN1264

Insert the three screws and tighten only loosely at this point..

DSNC1265

Put the handle on the gear stud to hold the stud firmly while both the screws and the plunger are tightened.

DSCN1266

DSCN1267

DSCN1268

Lube the inside of the gear stud, then install the heavy shift spring and plastic spring spacer.

DSCN1269

DSCN1270

Lube the gear teeth and the right side plate is complete.

Time to start on the spool assembly.  Note there is no "notch" in the drag cover (115) for a removal tool.
Also note that the direction to turn the cover to unscrew it from the spool is clockwise.  It has left hand threads.

DSCN1273

I found it useful to wrap a rag, like a wash cloth with some texture to it, around the drag cover.
This gave me all the leverage I needed to remove the cover.

DSCN1274

Shown are the right side spool bearing (26A), holding it in place is the difficult to see spindle retaining ring (69C), the double sided carbon drag washer (Number 6) which is still in excellent condition, the metal drag washer (7) and the low and high speed pinion gears, (13).

DSCN1275

DSCN1276

Remove the drag washer.

DSCN1277

I remove the click ratchet (81) but it's not necessary to do so.  You can dismantle the spool components without removal.

DSCN1278

Click ratchet is removed,  left spool bearing and wafer washers exposed.

DSCN1279

On the opposite side of the reel, remove the spindle retaining ring.  FYI this is not the original ring.  I launched the original across the garage somewhere.  I had other rings and this one seems to work perfectly.  I learned a long time ago that if launching is a possibility, best to remove the clips under a cover of some type.  I should follow my own recommendations!
http://alantani.com/gallery/19/medium_1203_18_07_17_2_18_57_19550652.jpeg[/img][/url]
DSCN1280

After the spindle retaining ring is removed you can pull the spool shaft and components out the
left side of the spool.  Here are the components involved.  Very standard.  Note that the parts diagram
did not show the spool sleeve so I believe it's also a part of the blueprinting operation.

DSCN1281

Note the spacer between the right bearing and the spool sleeve.  Was the spool sleeve too short
as originally machined?

DSCN1282

After cleaning/lubing the spool, the shaft components and the bearings, slide the spool shaft back
into the spool and reinstall the spindle retaining ring (69C), carbon fiber drag washer (six), spindle spring (41).

DSCN1284

Reinstall the click ratchet.  The screws come with locktite but I put grease on them.  When complete you can insert and seat the spool into the reel body.

DSCN1283

Position the two well lubed spacers on top of the pinion bearing.  The lube will hold the spacers in position as you insert the spindle shaft through them.

DSCN1285

Being careful not to disrupt the spacers, insert the spindle shaft into the right side plate and gingerly work the pinion and main gears into position.  This is much like installing the spool shaft through the wafer washers on a 30VSX.

DSCN1286

Bring the right side plate up to the reel body.  You can then insert a couple of screws to hold it in place.

DSCN1288

I put the to small screws in on the opposite side of the side plate.

DSCN1289

Position the top spacer bar and right harness lug and insert the two long screws loosely into place.

DSCN1280

Do the same on the left side of the reel body.  When all screws are installed, go ahead and tighten them up.

DSCN1291

Install the quadrant ring.

DSCN1291

Lube the side plate where the eccentric lever rides.

DSCN1293

DSCN1294

Position the components of the lever, being sure to mate the slot in the lever to the quadrant ring.

DSCN1295

DSCN1296

DSCN1298

Install the bridge cover.  Remember the screws are screwed directly into the composite.  I use just the slightest amount of lube and am very careful when tightening.  It would not be a good idea to strip the threads in the reel body.

DSCN1297

Next, lube the shaft shield and spacers and install on top of the gear stud.

DSCN1300

DSCN1301

Install the handle.

DSCN1302

Here is where it gets a little tricky for me. Note that the two screws that secure the shift housing to the handle must pass through holes in the handle locking plate (110A) to enter the handle threads.  I put the locking plate in place and tighten it down so that I can see where the best line up holes will be when I tighten the locking plate into its final position.  Remember that the locking plate does not need to be excessively tight.  Once the screws are in place through the selected line up holes in the locking plate, the locking plate cannot turn.  I mentally mark the point that I need to turn the locking plate to, to be sure all components of the shift house can be properly secured.

DSCN1303

Assemble the shift housing by first lubing the housing.  Next position the springs.
DSCN1304

Install the shift button (172B), high speed into position with the two tips inserted  into the shift button return springs.

DSCN1305

Insert the copper colored cover over the shift button and springs.  There are four small holes in the cover that accept small positioning pins on the shift housing.  They're not tight fitting and come apart easily.

DSCN1306

Next insert the low speed shift button through the shift housing as shown.

DSCN1307

Over the shift button shaft, install the handle locking plate..

DSCN1308

and finally, install the "E" Clip on the shift button shaft.

DSCN1309

In order to keep this little assembly together as you screw the handle locking plate into the gear stud to secure the handle to the reel, you must hold it together.  Now, the way I do this...set the reel body up on its left side so that the handle is pointed up.  Install the handle on the gear stud, and being careful to always keep downward pressure on the shift housing, I hold the housing still and rotate the reel.  This keeps me from having to change grasping positions on the shift housing assembly. Turn the locking plate to the position located above and insert the screws.  There is definitely a feel to do this and until I started rotating the reel instead of the housing, it feel apart on me several times.

DSCN1310

The final thing we have to do is clean up the rod mounting clamp and screws.  Because there are no dissimilar metals involved, unlike many reels this one gets very little corrosion in this area.  I simply clean the mounting holes in the base of the reel with "Q" tips and apply a small amount of fresh lube.  Clean the screws and nuts.

DSCN1311

DSCN1196

And we're finished!!  Bet you thought we'd never get here.

josa1

mike1010

Nice work on an impressive piece of machinery.  Thanks.

Alto Mare

Nice job on that reel with lots of detailed pics. Thanks for doing this for us.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

josa1

Thanks guys, it was fun.  ALWAYS learn something, every time I do one of these.

As I was going back and forth with the photos I was a little put out by malware that kept popping up while I was on the Photo Bucket side.  I googled it to find out what it was and was advised to stay away from it.  It was one of those advertising things that will quickly ruin your day if you accidently download it.  I once got one on my computer and had to delete everything and reload.   I always keep full back ups and images to help me do this.  Anyway, just thought I'd let you know and would be interested if any of you have had that experience.

Hope the post helps everyone!

josa1

mizmo67

Yeah, some of the malware downloads are sneaky - watch when you are downloading a legitimate program if it is from a downloads site rather than the makers site - sometimes they piggyback in under the guise of an optional add-on (always UNCHECK those!)

I had to do the same thing on Scott's computer when we tried to install an FTP program for uploading files because of one of those.

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

josa1

July 18, 2017

Beginning picture replacement on this post.  Should be finished in a couple of days.

josa1