Rock cod and ling killers

Started by edmartz, September 24, 2015, 04:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edmartz

This is my "Ho D" jig I've been killing lings and coppers

edmartz

This is my Bala type jig

edmartz

This one is ridiculous looking.  I kill em with this setup.  The little pink hoochie winks at the lings.    ;D

steelfish

Those are pretty cool
I havent seem them before, how much they weight
The Baja Guy

edmartz

The diamond jig is 4 0z
the bala is 120grams
the other one is 6oz

I will fish anything from 3oz-6oz

edmartz

Built these the other day.

Six ounce bat weights with a hoochie and some assist cord.

edmartz

This is the result.   I caught limits of lings and a bag of hardheads (copper and quillback's).   Northern Cal rock fishing

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Steve-O

Nice jigs and fish!  Thanks for sharing.

The Japanese call that style an "inchiku " and Shimano makes one like the Bala Style shown called a  bottom ship.

David Hall

Sweet looking rigs, I like the assist hook setup.

edmartz

Thank you.    I usaually fish out Emeryville Sportfishing either the New Huck Finn, Sea Wolf, Tigerfish and the C Gull 2.   They usually fish the Farallons Island or the Marin County Coast (sometimes Point Reyes).   Awesome boats.. The Yokimizo brothers, and Capt. Al Chin are incredible fisherman.    If you are ever in the Bay Area I highly recommend them.    Next month they will have Dungeness Crab and rock cod combo's.   I can't wait.

Steve-O

Dude, killer lingcod! Which of your jigs nailed that toad?

edmartz

That was hitchhiker.   I was using a "Ho D" jig and had a nice China cod then I felt a thump and a hard pull, started reeling slow and he came up.  A nice surprise.   I use inchiku jigs like Bala's, Pirates and Megabass Volts

I also use the butterfly jigs i.e. Lucanus, Conch's.  They are expensive so I wanted to make and Experiment with some home made stuff to see if I get the same results.

theswimmer

Cool stuff Ed.
For whatever reason I am finding red and dark orange are working best this year.
I need to come north and try one of those boats.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Rancanfish

Your jigs are awesome!

I learned rock fishing on a couple of those boats when those Captains were deckhands. Great fishermen.  Although I think Jay was getting his license too at the time.  Art was running one of the boats at the time.  He was shocked to find out I wasn't kidding when I said I was new to ocean fishing.  I was already over 30 years old.

He literally talked me through when to drop, when to pull easy (had a ling hitchhiker), well, basically everything.

I felt guilty winning the pot two trips in a row. ;D

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.