Rock cod and ling killers

Started by edmartz, September 24, 2015, 04:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcool3

http://lingcodjigs.com/lingcod-jigs/ has very nice assortment of lingcod jigs.  Not Affiliated.

edmartz

Quote from: theswimmer on October 11, 2015, 02:50:29 PM
Cool stuff Ed.
For whatever reason I am finding red and dark orange are working best this year.
I need to come north and try one of those boats.

Yeah this year I've found red and dark orange works well too.   I notice that this year Outside the bay there is pelagic crabs that are dark red.   If I see that the fish are spitting up octopus white and purple works.   It's like fly fishing to see what the fish are eating.   School rock fish will eat anything most of the time.  

edmartz

Quote from: Rancanfish on October 11, 2015, 03:10:12 PM
Your jigs are awesome!

I learned rock fishing on a couple of those boats when those Captains were deckhands. Great fishermen.  Although I think Jay was getting his license too at the time.  Art was running one of the boats at the time.  He was shocked to find out I wasn't kidding when I said I was new to ocean fishing.  I was already over 30 years old.

He literally talked me through when to drop, when to pull easy (had a ling hitchhiker), well, basically everything.

I felt guilty winning the pot two trips in a row. ;D

Thank you for that story.   That is awesome!!!  Jay and his brother John make sure everybody on the boat is having a great time especially kids and first timers.  I heard stories about Art Roby and heard he was a fantastic skipper.   Maybe one day we can fish together and you can teach me a trick or two to win a jackpot!

Rancanfish

Ha, I think you have it down Ed.   :D

I pour my own plastics and jig heads so I always try those first,  but I think I'm going to try making some of your toys.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Steve-O

Those octos are awesome. Did you cast the lead, paint and assemble the whole thing?

The real deal Lucanus are crazy expensive.

I was grumbling about jig costs until I broke it down and the cheapo knockoffs at $6 or so bucks a pop are barely making money if they use decent materials.

Two good hooks -$1-$2... A skirt with tentacles-$1 ...a painted and epoxied lead head with eyes-$2-3 ...labor must be dirt cheap. And you then have to ship it over here. No profit margin at all. Granted my guestimates were on the high side. Still.

edmartz

Quote from: Steve-O on October 15, 2015, 03:22:53 AM
Those octos are awesome. Did you cast the lead, paint and assemble the whole

My friend cast the baseball weights and painted them.   It took him two days with three coats of paint.  

then I rig them up with the hoochie and assist and we try them out.... ;)

edmartz

I 've been using these lately.....insane!!!!   They are funny looking cartoon jigs.

edmartz

I couldn't get a copper rockfish off of the one the looks like a flatfall.   It's called a Caivo 3D Pit Boss.   Awesome jigs....

Steve-O

Good looking factory jigs, those Caivos. Not too steep of prices, either.

But the results are WAY good! Those coppers are pretty decent sized! And the pile of fish! Congrats.

Alans Buddy

Do those Caivo jigs come with the hoochies or do you add them?
TIA,
Ben

pjstevko

Quote from: Alans Buddy on March 24, 2016, 02:18:45 PM
Do those Caivo jigs come with the hoochies or do you add them?
TIA,
Ben

They come with the skirts!!! I've used the Caivo jigs and they seem to out produce a lot of the other jigs I've used...

Alans Buddy

edmartz

Just went out this year on the Sea Wolf out of Emeryville.  Capt Jon Yokomizo put on some awesome fishing.  Went out to the Farallons Islands had great weather.   Huge Vermillions and Coppers.  He caught a rare and giant Tiger Cod.

edmartz

I put my swim baits on these and had great results with lings!!!

Rancanfish

Atta boy Ed!  Keep pushing the envelope.  I think I'll locate some of those too.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.