16/0

Started by Shark Hunter, September 26, 2015, 04:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I finally scored a second 16/0. I have been looking for one for over a year.
The rings have some light pitting and the stand has some brassing, but overall, it is in great condition.
No cracks in the rings and I'm guessing that spool was replaced at some point a long time ago.
These are getting hard to find at a decent price in good shape.
The spool is the Holy Grail. It still has the sticker on it. ;D
I'm going to hot rod it. Insert from Adam, ss sleeve from Tom, ss double dogs from Lee. New ss gears from Scott's and stainless posts. Spool it with 200 lb mono and wait for Jaws! ;)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Nice find Daron. 

1000yds of 130lb mono, and it only weighs in at 11 lbs unspooled.  That beast should give you plenty of capacity when fishing monsters from a fixed point.  You may need a fighting chair or similar to handle her in an extended fight, or have a friend to pass the rod off to at the ready.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Thanks John,
I will fish this Monster. Its smaller than my 18/0 Everol, but this is the biggest reel Penn ever made.
The other one I have is Pristine. This one will go to the Beach with me.
Probably 15 pounds of reel after its spooled. Jaws, Come at me! :D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Nice!...make sure no one is home when you're doing the double dog on that baby, you don't need any distractions ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I opened her up last night before bed. I still need to leave the seller positive feedback.
He told me the reel belonged to his father in law. I hit the Jackpot.
Chromed bridge with alignment lip and steel gears that are pristine. He really took care of her.
Still has the original asbestos stack with no wear on them. Looks all original. Score! ;D
Life is Good!

Dominick

Congratulations it's a beauty.  Are you going to DD it?  Sal sounds nervous.   ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

I'm cutting the plate tonight Dominick. I will post pics later. I have a lot of plates to cut.
Mr. Hyrinuk asked me to do some for him. I will try to hold off on the suds. ;D
I think the sprung dog plates are easier to cut. I can understand why Sal is Nervous. A 16/0 plate is not cheap to replace.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

16/0 and 14/0 plate ready to be cut for double dogs.

I had an unexpected surprise when putting the finishing touches on the 16/0 plate. My Dremel let out a few sparks and made a funny noise. I let it cool off. I went to start it again and it started smoking immediately and burst into flames. I unplugged it and threw it into the driveway.
That thing only lasted 10 years. Had to run down to Wally World and pick up another.
Plates all done.
Out with the old, In with the new. Everything polished and cleaned. Its late. I'll finish her up tomorrow.
Life is Good!

mizmo67

Wow, Daron, you scored!

It's in really great shape and with all the tweeks, it'll be awesome.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Jerseymic

Nice one buddy, I'm drooling!

Dominick

Now that is a sign of a steady hand.  Good job Daron.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Shark Hunter

Wrapping this build up. New SS Gears, Insert, Double dogs, SS Sleeve, SS Posts.
16/0 ready to go!
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

As always...nice job Daron!

I didn't know SS posts were available for the 16/0. Have you been using Delron on top of the stack as well? 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

foakes

This is my definition of an experienced Master Reelsmith --

He knew what he had after breaking it open --

Planned key upgrades based on his future usage and experience as to the best improvements out there.

Got it done.

No drama -- just solid results that will enable this reel to handle any large species it is put up against.

Well done, as always, Daron.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.