A Collectable Muskie Fishing Lure

Started by Tightlines667, October 02, 2015, 03:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Funny you should mention this John. Some 20 years ago I tried my best to catch one. I never did.
There is a lake in Kentucky called Cave Run. It is known for Muskie.
I have collected quite a few lures over the years. The one that comes to mind is a giant wooden frog.
It still hangs in the garage in its original package.
My son has recently purchased a canoe and a trolling motor and is going to try his luck for the evasive Muskellunge. He is even making his own lures.
I had them follow my hellbender right up to the boat, but they would never bite it.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

When I grew up, my dad's brother, and close fishing/hunting buddie was a hard core Muskie fishermen.   He would compete in regional tournaments, and confer  with the other members of Muskie's Inc. from around the country.  His addiction led him to build alot of custom lures, and rods, and hotrod his Abu reels.  He also custom built alot of add on to his fishing boat that were not available at the time, but which we now take for granted, out of necessity or simply trying to build a better mouse trap.  He also wrote a great fishing book in the mid 70's entitled "Advanced Fishing Techniques".  I was fortunate enough to spend alot of time on the water with my uncle, and dad, who both taught me alot about how to aproach the game of fishing.   I even won largest Northern in a Muskie tourney once (mostly because no one wanted to bring one to the weigh in).

Once a year many members of Muskies Inc. would get together to scout and fish some remote or well known Muskie lake for 7 or 10 days.  I was given the oportunity to go on one of the famed Muskie's Inc. trips to the Canadian side of Lake of the Woods when I was in high school.  Great trip.  4 boats with 6 hard-core Muskie addicts, and myself and my dad.  These guys took this buisness seriously, and we had a great time.  Alot of fish were caught, and many exciting sights witnessed.  Current, temperature, forage, structure, vegitation, time of day, barometric pressure, and other factors were considered when formulating daily plans, and a detailed examination of the maps, and conferring with detailed logs were invaluable as well.  I didn't catch a Musky, but had many exciting follows, and landed plenty of large Northern, and Walleyes.  More importantly, I learned alot about what it takes to be truly passionate about fishing.

Muskies (the fish of 10,000 casts) will always hold a special place in my heart.  

Just not $ 12,500.00  special :)
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

They are indeed elusive creatures. I plan on making some trips with my boy to give it one more shot.
My wife and myself spent many hours trolling for one of these beasts.
There would be a 3 lb bass that made the mistake of biting the lure. We were using surf rods with 20 lb line.
You couldn't even tell it was there until you saw him rolling behind the boat.
A lot of time has passed since then.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 02, 2015, 06:12:04 AM
They are indeed elusive creatures. I plan on making some trips with my boy to give it one more shot.
My wife and myself spent many hours trolling for one of these beasts.
There would be a 3 lb bass that made the mistake of biting the lure. We were using surf rods with 20 lb line.
You couldn't even tell it was there until you saw him rolling behind the boat.
A lot of time has passed since then.

For trolling, I like running deep Bagley DB-6 in Tiger pattern mid-late August during a prolonged heat streak/stable weather along deep drop offs adjacent to Cabbage weed beds, or channels w/some moving water.

The ORCA folks are saying this lure is not that valuable, and is incorrect for the box.  The box on the other hand is exceedingly scarce, and is obviously very valuable.
Hope springs eternal

Lunker Larry

I'm hard core musky but not that hard core. All my other tackle is collecting dust or rusting away. At that price he is truly fishing and hoping to catch a live one.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

foakes

While having a lot of respect for lure collectors -- many are close friends.

However, for me, two things stand out as hard truths -- just like stamp collectors.

1) I am glad they are doing it.

2) I am glad I am not doing it.

Having sold thousands of lures over the years to collectors, nothing is more disappointing than opening up a old Pflueger, Heddon, Creek Chub, or Shakespeare wooden lure from the 20s -- only to discover all of the paint in the form of tiny flakes at the bottom of the box.

Fortunately, the most expensive lure I have ever sold was $475 -- most were around $25 - $50, with the occasional tadpolly or 100 minnow going a little higher.

Glad to just throw 35 reels in a box -- pull them out when I feel the need to restore them -- not worried about paint, hook pits, or investment value.

Just a simple guy -- with less patience than most folks who enjoy this type of thing.

Just my opinion.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Here are a few that I have collected over the years. The one on the left I recently got from Lou.
That is a great Shot Larry. ;)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Lunker Larry on October 03, 2015, 07:11:44 PM
I'm hard core musky but not that hard core. All my other tackle is collecting dust or rusting away. At that price he is truly fishing and hoping to catch a live one.

Nice fish!

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 03, 2015, 08:35:31 PM
Here are a few that I have collected over the years. The one on the left I recently got from Lou.
That is a great Shot Larry. ;)

That 'jerk bait' and the 'Believer' will catch.  I would get a staight-running 'stick/jerk bait', a Bagley, a bucktail, and a spinner to round out the bunch.
Hope springs eternal

Lunker Larry

Baits to a muskie fisherman is like sparkly things to crows. We all have more than we need. When you look at our baits they cost from $20 to $100+ . Many are home made big body baits or blade baits that guys make and sell as many are not available commercially or the commercial baits don't stand up. There is a ruler in the middle with green tape at the 12" mark. I thought you salt water guys might get a kick out of it.
Here are some of mine. I've been scaling back the last few years and selling baits I didn't use. Just to give you an idea, if I average the bait price in the centre box, there is well over $1000 in baits there. I know fishermen who have a fortune tied up in baits. Our greatest fear is when we die our wives will sell them for what we told them we paid for them. :D
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Tightlines667

This box (and lure) sold for $12,800.
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

That is ridiculous. I found a Matching Big Game Frog in Green and got it for $36.50.
That is enough. ;)
Life is Good!

Newell Nut

That darned lure cost more than my entire Newell collection. WOW, that collector has a few more coins in the bank than me.

Big Tim

That box is as hard to find as any... My guess is Mr. Lure box ... R Paved was involved in the purchase or someone like him. I once purchased 300 jitterbugs from.a lady in Kentucky only to find a wooden jitterbug with the original box that promptly was sold for over $800 to a guy in Japan. .. You just never know.