Beer Faucet Handles

Started by mmayo, October 02, 2015, 06:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmayo

Beer meets fishing, what a concept!

Kyle Hirayama contacted me through this forum with a novel request: a purpleheart "cedar plug" beer faucet handle. He provided the hardware to make the connection to his tap and I did the rest. Though not fully finished, here is the result. The new handle is shown next to a stock 6" purpleheart "cedar plug" from my tackle box. The 3/8" threaded ferrule nicely matches the brass ferrules used for my hand made plugs.  It looks ready to fish and measures 10" in length. I plan numerous coats of glossy polyurethane to be sure lead does not migrate to hands during use.

Luckily each day provides new opportunities to try something new.
Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.

jigmaster501

Legally, I am not sure that that lead handle is allowed in a food environment. It is an indirect food contact surface but to be honest, you might be better off getting that lead piece electroplated or dip it in dairy solder to cover the lead before attaching and using the poly. This way you will have no exposed lead that will need to be covered with poly.

If you can get a chunk of delrin from one of the guys here, that might be even easier to use.

That is nice work though. I wonder if you could make a wheel for a wheelhouse and use the purpleheart wood for the handles. That would be fit for a yacht....

Three se7ens

While the lead may be a big no-no in a commercial restaurant, it might not be an issue with a personal keg tap at home. 

I think stainless would be a nice touch, instead of the lead, but thats just my opinion.  Very nice work, Mark.  

mmayo

Several coats of protective finish were applied to separate the lead from hands etc.

On special note I had the pleasure of fishing with the handle buyer on the Vagabond.  It is indeed a small world, but a pleasant world while fishing.
Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.