PB Blaster is magical

Started by Yogi_fish808, October 05, 2015, 11:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yogi_fish808

All I can say is that PB Blaster was a gift from the reel gods. I have had a matching gold accurate jigmaster on my bench for over 2 weeks trying to coax the bearing cap from the sideplate. It was completely seized even after soaking with corrosionX to the point of bending a flathead tip and I was contemplating drilling it out. 2 hours of soaking with PB and a few mallet taps and it moved. I seriously thought I was hallucinating the first time the bearing cap moved. Rocked it back and forth a few more times and she came loose with the help of a snug fitting flat head and channel locks for extra torque. So if anyone here has any seized part, before going thru drastic measures or giving up...try this product out first. I think it was either Sal or google that recommended it, either way THANK YOU! Happy wrenching/fishing, Aloha! ;D

fsrmn

If you liked PB Blaster, try Seafoam Deep Creep. I switched to it after doing several comparison test on rusted bolts. Try putting a little of each on the end of a rusty nail and see which climbs up the nail faster and further. Plus you can put it in your fuel line to free up sticky carb floats.
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

thorhammer

I keep both on the bench, plus Corrosion Bock and Super Slick Stuff for bearings. TS 321 not readily available in my area but the Super Slick tripled free spool on the 980 I serviced before my OBX trip last week.

J

Three se7ens

I think PB blaster is marginal at best.  Kriol is king of the commercial stuff, but the acetone/atf mix is what I use.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1433151

You can google penetrating oil tests and the article referenced there comes up over and over.  My personal experiences match those results. 

Its not always feasible on reels, but the first thing Ill do to remove stuck fasteners is heat.  Being a machinist, I see quite a few fasteners broken, seized, etc, that need to be removed without damaging the part.  Its rare that I cant get one out with heat. 

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: Three se7ens on October 09, 2015, 05:00:32 AM
I think PB blaster is marginal at best.  Kriol is king of the commercial stuff, but the acetone/atf mix is what I use.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1433151

You can google penetrating oil tests and the article referenced there comes up over and over.  My personal experiences match those results. 

Its not always feasible on reels, but the first thing Ill do to remove stuck fasteners is heat.  Being a machinist, I see quite a few fasteners broken, seized, etc, that need to be removed without damaging the part.  Its rare that I cant get one out with heat. 

Haha you learn something new every day on here! Next time I've got a stuck screw or bolt I'll give the atf/acetone mix a shot since I've got those in the garage. Thanks Adam

fsrmn

I agree with Three se7ens on the acetone and atf. I keep a small spray bottle of it on my bench.  A well driller friend of mine swears by oil of wintergreen as a penetrant for rust. I haven't tried it but plan to. I'll have to try Kriol to see how it works too.  There are so many variables that will seize up a reel ( rust, corrosion, salt, scale, sand etc. ) it's hard to find one the frees all of them.
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

AlasKen

Will the acetone in the acetone/ATF melt plastic like straight acetone will.  I know from experience that acetone will melt a red beer cup.  I was cleaning up something on my boat and used a red beer cup to hold the acetone.  Sat it down and when I picked it up a minute later it was melting and turning my propane locker red.  Lesson learned, at least it wasn't the deck.  Ken

Alto Mare

No Yogy, that wasn't me, I would never recommend that stuff. I used it once and would never use it again.
This isn't fair to the manufacturer, that stuff will get the job done, but  personally, I can't take the stench.
If it is working out for you, that's great.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fishhead69

I have had very good results with Kroil that is used by gunsmiths. PB parts buster has also worked good for me. For soaking parts to clean them I have used Pronto paint brush cleaner and it works great. It is the Home Depot house brand and it is very reasonable. It works about as good or maybe a little better than the acetone/ATF mixture for cleaning reel parts like gears, metal drag washers, yokes, screws and other metal parts. I usually soak the parts for at least a day or longer.

whalebreath

Some great info here-Thanks everyone for posting!

Three se7ens

At least Im not the only one who truly despises the smell of pb blaster.  Its just aweful, and seems to follow you into the house after you use it.

Its almost as bad as the degreaser I use(gunk SC degreaser in kerosene).  I wont even pop the lid without gloves, because you cant wash the smell off your hands.  But I have never seen a more potent degreaser.

handi2

Quote from: Three se7ens on October 15, 2015, 03:59:04 AM
At least Im not the only one who truly despises the smell of pb blaster.  Its just aweful, and seems to follow you into the house after you use it.

Its almost as bad as the degreaser I use(gunk SC degreaser in kerosene).  I wont even pop the lid without gloves, because you cant wash the smell off your hands.  But I have never seen a more potent degreaser.

I use the same degreaser mix and it does wonders but keep the lid closed..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

long haired country boy

i do 1 part atf, 1 part acetone, 1 part mineral spirit, & 1 part coleman kerosene. works great as a degreaser metal parts.

David Hall

Kroil X2 I use pb blaster as well, but outside, not in the shop.

Shark Hunter

I have to agree the PB Blaster stinks to High Heaven.
I got it on some gloves trying to loosen a hood latch in the winter.
I Threw the gloves and the blaster in the garbage.
Life is Good!