Avet HX & Penn US113

Started by Rivverrat, October 05, 2015, 07:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Fully aware these are 2 different reels. But to further my ongoing search for the best reel for my use I've been wondering about the HXJ Raptor. I dont really care if the reel is a lever or star drag.  
My question is the HX that much better of a reel for casting & over all than the US113. I'm very happy with how my US113 casts & after removing the shields from the bearings it does even better. Plus for my purpose the US113 makes plenty of drag for an everyday reel. I dont have to have a 2 speed. I have the money to buy 2 more US113 or 1 HXJ Raptor.

Guess I'm wanting to see if someone can give me reason enough to purchase a HXJ Raptor & give it a try.....Thanks, Jeff  

Aiala

If I'm not mistaken, the Raptor models offer dual drags as well as the magnetic cast control system, and therefore cost accordingly. If you want the magnetic control but not the extra drag, the M.C. Cast models might be something to consider:  http://www.avetreels.net/REELS.html

Of course, the time-tested and venerable 113 Senators are a tough act to beat in any case.   ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Rivverrat

Not interested in magnetic cast control. However the higher drag capability of Raptor would be something I would want if I got an HX. I understand they are a more refined reel than the US113. I'm just wanting to know from those who have used both if the HX Raptor is that much better or someone can give me enough reason to buy one over 1 or 2 more US113.

handi2

The HX Raptor is a beast of a reel. If you haven't handled one you should.

One my boat the Baja Special or US113 are go to bottom reels for Red Snapper and such but if your going after stronger fish day after day the larger Avets just keep going and going. The low gear really does help when you really need to crank one up.

We have 2 of the Baja's and 4 of the Avets on the bottom fishing trips.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rivverrat

So those that dont know I fish for trophy size catfish. Strictly fresh water. The one thing that makes HX Raptor appealing is that I dont have an honest 100 lb. class, dependable, user friendly reel. From what I'm hearing from some is that this is Avets benchmark reel & possibly the best lever drag in its class for its weight.

SoCalAngler

All of the Raptors in Avet's line up have the MC and you can't get away from it going with a Raptor. Here on the left coast we are  mainly a live bait fishery and having the best freespool can be key to catching fish so I don't own a Raptor for that reason. There are mods you can do to the MC to get better freespool but IMO it should be something Avet should address and not leave it to the end user to shave the magnets.

IMO the HX is a 50 lb test reel, maybe a light 60 lb and the HX Raptor will fish up to 80 lb but not really a 100 lb test reel. When you start look to fish 100 lb test you will need something bigger and heavier with different gearing. A Penn 113 even with all the mods found here is not close to a 100 lb test reel. Sure you may be able to get the drag to stop a fish using 100 lb test but thats only half the battle. Now you have to turn the turny thing to get the fish to get the fish to the boat or shore (a west coast saying) and the gearing of a 113 will make that hard to do fishing the drag numbers to fish 100 lb test.

Rivverrat

Thanks all of you for the replies. Especially knowing your alls background a bit.
SoCal & any one else, topic for another thread but what are your thoughts on the Avet Pro EX 30 for 100 ib. class line ?

LTM

Quote from: Rivverrat on October 07, 2015, 09:08:42 PM
Thanks all of you for the replies. Especially knowing your alls background a bit.
SoCal & any one else, topic for another thread but what are your thoughts on the Avet Pro EX 30 for 100 ib. class line ?

Now your in the "ballpark"! This may very well be the ticket for you if it will deliver the drag necessary for 100# line. It will be "limited" in capacity with 135# braid backing; but you wont need the amount necessary for "deep sea" fishing since your river fishing.

Good luck,

Leo

mikeg24thst

SoCalAngler

Like mentioned now your talking about 100 lb test reels when you start to look at 30 sized two speeds. You can also loot at a Okuma Makaira 20 as it's a little narrower than the 30's by Avet but these sized reels are a big jump in weight over the HXJ Raptor. These 30 size reels were never made for long casts.

Before you make a purchase feel these sized reels and see if you think you can get the casting yardage you want out of them. Maybe you don't have access to a Avet 30 or a Makaira 20 but most tackle shops that handle gear for big fish, maybe not the fish your looking to catch but saltwater big game, and look at a Penn 30 two speed. Something like a 30 VSX will get you in the ballpark for the size and weight of these reels meant to handle around 100 lb test.

Most people don't have the needs you have of 100 lb test and, in my mind, very long casts. So, you may be looking for something that has not been built and that may never be made do to the limited number of people that would buy a reel for what you are doing.

A Raptor HXJ may be the best fit I can think of for your needs. They are tough reels that you can cast, have a lot of stopping power and are two speeded for better cranking. But, for the type of fishing others do such a big tuna, blue or black marlin and other pelagic fish where 100 lb test is used a HXJ would not be most peoples first choice in this line class, though it may fit your needs. IMO a HXJ Raptor would serve you much better than even a hot rodded 113.

Rivverrat

SoCal, & the rest of you,  thanks for the reply. Yes I did change the nature of the thread a bit.
When using a reel for this line class all my cast would be inside 50 yards most of the time.
Also as you stated I'm not going to be putting the constant level of stress on the reel that some of you all here do.
1 out of every 40-50 fish I catch "MIGHT" pull line from a drag set at 30 lbs. I'm guessing here.
Bearings are cheap & after talking with Avet I don't believe at this point it would be to big an issue. Here I go down that learning path again. We'll see. I like my US113  just the way it is & do plan on purchasing 2 more for 60 lb. line.

I'm thinking an HXJ Raptor it is....Jeff