Cry Me a River!

Started by gstours, October 06, 2015, 02:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Last weekend I traveled to the Oregon coast following the Columbia River.  When we could pull over and see the boats both freighters entering and leaving from Overseas, and some sport boats running around.  I knew the Fall Chinook were migrating upstream and we would see whats happening.
  I could hear the yelping and roaring of the all too familiar Sea Lion.   So pretty soon I had the picture straight.  The parking lot seemed empty, and the mooring basin had no boats. Then we walked a ways to the boat slips and saw this  sight. 

This big boy seemed like the ringleader.  Ya he's mighty handsome and has nice teeth,  but theres more!

Say you want to check something on your boat?  Here are the harems Guards,  to meet you an the bottom of the ramp!

So Maybe you realize that you are outnumbered and will try some other time.

This is a Public Dock, Built for Boats and Maintained by Taxpayers Money Totally Useless Except for a Weigh In and Bark Festival!
  What went wrong?  or Right?  Did anyone listen to the local knowledge of the Old Timers?  I call this Crazy!

reelrepair123

agreed gary,  nice sight for nature, but bad for humans.  here in new york they are blaming them for the decrease in the flounder population, we don't see alot of them like your pictures, but it seems like they are diving down and eating the flounder.  oh and yes the recreational fisherman gets blamed for over fishing.   take care halibut king.    harryk

Steve-O

Well the knuckle head in the first pic may be the ring leader but he also went and got himself some ring around the collar.

Note the noose necktie he's wearing. Done cut into his hide. Shows in the next photo, too. Seems like local vets would tranq it and cut that off?

gstours

Yes Steeveeo;  I didnt notice the ring around the collar!!!   It may be only pinching his fat.  But you are right something could be done at a arms reach!    Last time I visited this dock there were a bunch of boats tied to the docks.  The boaters have wisely given up and the city planners are still out to lunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Steve-O on October 06, 2015, 04:47:37 AM
Well the knuckle head in the first pic may be the ring leader but he also went and got himself some ring around the collar.

Note the noose necktie he's wearing. Done cut into his hide. Shows in the next photo, too. Seems like local vets would tranq it and cut that off?
Looks to me that it's already removed and that's the scar.
This sealion takeover also happened at pier 39 in SF, the tourists loved it so they let them take over that part of the marina, now it's an attraction. Fact is these animals are only going back to the area they have been using for thousands of years, the area where pier 39 is was their old home base before the Bay Area was settled.

$ and taxes may trump nature at times but it keeps coming back.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

David Hall

Moss landing and Monterey harbours look just like this.  We had a 3 million dollar dock installed 6 yrs ago and since that time there has not been one boat able to use it, it turned into a beachhead for fur bags.  Last week I motored past on my way out and it appears someone took the dock out,  then I noticed a floating barge loaded with fur, and lo and behold it's the new dock, broken loose and floating around in the Harbor with no less than a hundred of them on it.  The only good note is that the invasion is stil about 12 piers away from mine.  i have not seen a single fur bag on my dock.
Shameful

Newell Nut

This is where the over protectors really screw up. Other countries eat them while we protect them because they a cute salmon thieves. What a joke we are.

Steve-O

Yea, I deal with them in Alaska each year and now and then get to hear stories from the Tlingit islanders harvesting them. One year we smelled something awful at the mouth of the river.  Sure enough one dead in the bushes. Head shot.

Last year I met a little butterball of a native kid hanging around the bay we were fishing at and he wanted to visit with me about "everything" including "did I like eating seal oil?"

I said no, never tried it.

he said, It's my favorite!

I smiled thinking good onya kid and whoever harvested the seal.

Newell Nut

When man and animal compete for the same food the animal is the enemy. When you protect the enemy you become a certified idiot.

We have not had a bear season in Fl for quite a while and the population has gotten way out of control. They are roaming the cities, killing pets and attacking people. This year the FWC approved a bear hunting season and sold permits for the first time in 21 years. With all the problems we have had a large group of people have tried to get the courts to stop the bear season. More idiots. Do these people come from other planets or what?

gstours

Yes it was a sight to wonder where did we go wrong?  Maybe have a Fenced, Gated, Mooring Slips available. Like at peoples Condos?  They are Federally  protected as a marine mammal so there is limitations as to harrassment and stiff penaltys to pay if Caught'.
  But keep pouring concrete and building more boat ramps and docks, and signs does not seem to be the answer!
Where did these lions rest before man?  Seems like a waste of taxpayers money!

RowdyW

Quote from: mrbrklyn on October 10, 2015, 06:57:51 AM
Quote from: Newell Nut on October 10, 2015, 12:41:21 AM
When man and animal compete for the same food the animal is the enemy. When you protect the enemy you become a certified idiot.

I feels so sorry for you.  My heart bleeds that the Sea Lions are being inconvient in their natural environment, that is salt water deep water harbors.  I'm sure that in other countries they would just eat them, like Japan for example.

that doesn't make it smart, humane, good for the environment or healthy... but so be it.   Your gonna have to make room for other species in the environment, otherwise you can stop the planet and get off.

and you can fish in a bathtube.

mrbrklyn then maybe you should stop injuring the fish & taking fish home, you are stealing the sea lions dinner. Better you take your advice & fish in your bathtub.

newport

Quote from: Newell Nut on October 09, 2015, 08:10:39 PM
This is where the over protectors really screw up. Other countries eat them while we protect them because they a cute salmon thieves. What a joke we are.
that reminds me of an episode of bizzarre foods with andrew zimmerman. In it he eats seal steak fried in butter. It looked pretty darn good -- indistinguishable from any red meat mammal. I have a sort of a fascination with "exotic foods," so will try most anything at least once.

Newell Nut

I was just reading about the hunting of seals in other countries to manage the numbers on another forum. They maintain a healthy balance in nature since over protection of a predator is a foolish venture as we attempt to do. The natural habitat for them here was quite adequate until the over protection. Now the numbers are too great for their natural habitat and they have to find homes on public docks and become a handicap to all that enjoy the outdoors.

gstours

Im sure we as responsible law abiding are dependent on our local, state, and federal government for the answer.  Its quite possible their silence and skirting around the issues are their defense.  It may get better or worse.  Or stay this way forever!  I,m not against growing more fish either so there will be more for all the user groups.  But that has many more problems I dont want to think about.
    If bring this topic to the forum causes too much controversy I am sorry.   I wanted to bring notice to paradise lost.

Alto Mare

Gary, you don't have anything to apologize about, you're a very good member and I'm glad you're here with us.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.