penn jigmaster gear and pinion

Started by franky, October 08, 2015, 06:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

franky

I got a jigmaster that has a bad gear and pinion.  It is rough when reeling it.

The person claimed that he bought another second hand gear and pinion set on eBay.  In regular mode, the reels now reels smoothly.  However, when trying to put the reel into cast mode, the casting lever can not go fully into cast mode.  The lever stops short and becomes stuck.

When I checked everything, I noticed that if I remove the handle side bushing, the eccentric lever is able to go fully into cast mode.  Its as if the pinion is longer than the standard jigmaster pinion.  :-\

Is this pinion a pinion for another model reel?  ie. penn 3/0?

mizmo67

Accurate had custom gears for the 113H Senators that fit into their custom side plate.
The pinion in that set was longer and skinnier than the 113h standard ones. I ran into this last year.

Did they make one like that for the Jigmasters? That would possibly explain the difference.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

franky

Hey, thanks for the reply buddy.  Yeah, maybe that could be the situation.... :-\

I guess since this guy doesn't want to spend the money on getting another pinion, my only option will be to grind down the back end of the pinion.

foakes

Hi Franky --

If a guy is too resistant (cheap) to fix the reel properly -- and expects you to do magic -- if the pinion is ruined after grinding -- you may be the one buying a new pinion after all.  Then if it doesn't mesh well with the main -- you have another issue.

Be careful & wise.

Unless you wish to spend all of your time for free -- just advise a new main and pinion.  Otherwise -- tough to back up your work down the road.

Every repair mechanic is different --Just my opinion.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

franky

Hey you know...You have a very good point there and yes, before I touch that pinion, that did cross my mind.  :-[

I'm stopping right now!  ;D

I'm going to inform the guy right now.

Thanks for the heads up...

Dominick

Fred comes through again.  Good advice Fred.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Fortunately, Franky --

Even though some folks may not want to hear what your professional evaluation is (generally because of $$$) --

The truth always stands on its own -- and will be well respected -- but the stain of a makeshift job with your name on it, will not quickly disappear.

Plus, some folks do not appreciate the knowledge and skill of a craftsman --  there are many years of experience that go into our craft.

However, our reputations are worth more than any amount of $$$ we may receive from a particular job.

A good workman need never be ashamed of asking a fair price for their work -- or turning down a job if the client is being unreasonable in their expectations and not wanting to listen to an expert.

Just do it right -- and everyone will be fine with it.

Just an opinion.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

swill88

Quote from: foakes on October 08, 2015, 08:43:28 PM
Fortunately, Franky --

Even though some folks may not want to hear what your professional evaluation is (generally because of $$$) --

The truth always stands on its own -- and will be well respected -- but the stain of a makeshift job with your name on it, will not quickly disappear.

Plus, some folks do not appreciate the knowledge and skill of a craftsman --  there are many years of experience that go into our craft.

However, our reputations are worth more than any amount of $$$ we may receive from a particular job.

A good workman need never be ashamed of asking a fair price for their work -- or turning down a job if the client is being unreasonable in their expectations and not wanting to listen to an expert.

Just an opinion.

Best,

Fred

Very well said Fred. 

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: swill88 on October 09, 2015, 03:07:48 AM
Fortunately, Franky --

Just an opinion.

Best,

Fred

Very well said Fred. 

Well said indeed!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

RowdyW

Quote from: franky on October 08, 2015, 06:42:24 AM
I got a jigmaster that has a bad gear and pinion.  It is rough when reeling it.

The person claimed that he bought another second hand gear and pinion set on eBay.  In regular mode, the reels now reels smoothly.  However, when trying to put the reel into cast mode, the casting lever can not go fully into cast mode.  The lever stops short and becomes stuck.

When I checked everything, I noticed that if I remove the handle side bushing, the eccentric lever is able to go fully into cast mode.  Its as if the pinion is longer than the standard jigmaster pinion.  :-\

Is this pinion a pinion for another model reel?  ie. penn 3/0?

Did you check the length of both pinion gears with a caliper to be sure that they are different lengths?

Alto Mare

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on November 01, 2015, 07:26:02 PM
Quote from: swill88 on October 09, 2015, 03:07:48 AM
Fortunately, Franky --

Just an opinion.

Best,

Fred

Very well said Fred. 

Well said indeed!
Yep! very well said Fred. I've been doing what I do for over 40 years, the customers that know me very well tell me to do as I think it should be done on some projects and to bill them when done. They don't even want to hear the estimated costs. Trust is more valuable to guys like me than money, most of us are aware that we could have over a thousand happy customers and it would only take one unhappy one to bring us down. So far, I love what I do, but today, it is getting a little harder.

Franky, I realize this thread is a month old, but here goes my two cents, just in case you still have that reel in hand.
On smaller reels and up to the Jigmaster size, the eccentric spring will interfere with the Jack
if it sticks out too much on the eccentric. I'm not saying that is definitely your problem, but check it out and if it is sitting above the eccentric, you will need to grind it down, it will usually get caught on the jack and causing the lever not to fully engage.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

twotone

The knowledge here is the best. Sal I ran into that same problem some several months ago. It took me several hours to figure it that out . When I did it felt like I won the the Lotto! After reading this I should have just asked someone here.
twotone

Alto Mare

I'm glad you figured that out, it isn't easy the first time. Your next one will be a breeze.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.