budget 50 pound reel

Started by q3fishboy, October 08, 2015, 06:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

q3fishboy

I'm located in Santa Cruz and with the possibility of bluefin around, I'm interested in putting together an appropriate setup to target them (trolling or otherwise).  Would also potentially use the setup to fish the dropper loop for yellowtail in southern california and stuff.  I was thinking a reel with 40-60 pound mono that maybe had 100 pound spectra backing would be suitable.  Money is tight and I cannot image the setup getting much use, so, really hoping to not spend too much.  Currently thinking maybe a penn 113h or similarly sized daiwa sealine?  Open to any advice or suggests you guys might have.  Also, please let me know if you have something appropriate you might be interested in selling.  Thanks in advance for all of the help.

conchydong

I haven't tried one but I am looking hard at the Fathom 40N for similar applications. If it was just for 50lb fly lining live bait, the 30 might suffice but I think for dropper loop or heavy yoyoing, the 40N would be the better choice. That would be my choice for a economical reel based on the reviews.

johndtuttle

Quote from: q3fishboy on October 08, 2015, 06:47:03 AM
I'm located in Santa Cruz and with the possibility of bluefin around, I'm interested in putting together an appropriate setup to target them (trolling or otherwise).  Would also potentially use the setup to fish the dropper loop for yellowtail in southern california and stuff.  I was thinking a reel with 40-60 pound mono that maybe had 100 pound spectra backing would be suitable.  Money is tight and I cannot image the setup getting much use, so, really hoping to not spend too much.  Currently thinking maybe a penn 113h or similarly sized daiwa sealine?  Open to any advice or suggests you guys might have.  Also, please let me know if you have something appropriate you might be interested in selling.  Thanks in advance for all of the help.

Budget is really important....but if you are able to scrape together the money for a Fathom 30LD2 you will save in the long run. Better bait/yo-yo/wahoo bombs or even trolling than a 113h.

q3fishboy

Thanks so much for the advice thus far.

I am sure the Fathom would be a better choice (and probably a better deal) in the long run.

However, money is really tight right now and I just really can't imagine this reel getting used much.

Just wondering if the 113h or a similarly sized sealing seem appropriate for what I am hoping to do with it.

Also wondering if there are any other reels in this kind of price range (hoping to find something used around $50).

Finally, currently thinking about the 7'6" 30-80 pound penn rampage rod, if anyone has any comments.

http://www.pennfishing.com/penn-rods-casting-rods-penn-rampage/1290590.html

Thanks again for all of the help.

broschro

THE RAMPAGE RODS ARE JUNK SORRY.

johndtuttle

Quote from: q3fishboy on October 09, 2015, 04:44:41 AM
Thanks so much for the advice thus far.

I am sure the Fathom would be a better choice (and probably a better deal) in the long run.

However, money is really tight right now and I just really can't imagine this reel getting used much.

Just wondering if the 113h or a similarly sized sealing seem appropriate for what I am hoping to do with it.

Also wondering if there are any other reels in this kind of price range (hoping to find something used around $50).

Finally, currently thinking about the 7'6" 30-80 pound penn rampage rod, if anyone has any comments.

http://www.pennfishing.com/penn-rods-casting-rods-penn-rampage/1290590.html

Thanks again for all of the help.

The 113H is a fine troller and will get it done on a budget. The worry on a used one is they may need parts or a new drag.

Try to find a Penn carnage rod that would be a better rod or an Ugly Stik Tiger.

The idea behind a Fathom or even a Squall is that they will do more things and be used more than a Senator. But for a reliable troller the Senators are great.

q3fishboy

Thanks so much for all of the help.

My reluctance to investing more money (in addition to not having more money) is that since moving up to Santa Cruz, I find that even the 30 pound gear I already own basically never gets used.  I just can't imagine using 50 pound gear with any frequency.  I am under the impression that a 113H would work fine for trolling, and assuming that while not ideal, it will still work for the dropper loop or yoyo iron for yellowtail occasionally.

I am not really familiar with them, but have heard people commenting on some potential benefits of similarly sized Daiwa Sealines over the Penn Senators.  What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

As far as the rod, I currently have a coupon with Penn, so, hoping to stick with them.  I was planning on trying to find these rods in a store somewhere so I could see what they actually feel like, but was just wondering what are the major advantages of the Carnage over the Rampage?

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

johndtuttle

Quote from: q3fishboy on October 09, 2015, 04:30:26 PM
Thanks so much for all of the help.

My reluctance to investing more money (in addition to not having more money) is that since moving up to Santa Cruz, I find that even the 30 pound gear I already own basically never gets used.  I just can't imagine using 50 pound gear with any frequency.  I am under the impression that a 113H would work fine for trolling, and assuming that while not ideal, it will still work for the dropper loop or yoyo iron for yellowtail occasionally.

I am not really familiar with them, but have heard people commenting on some potential benefits of similarly sized Daiwa Sealines over the Penn Senators.  What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

As far as the rod, I currently have a coupon with Penn, so, hoping to stick with them.  I was planning on trying to find these rods in a store somewhere so I could see what they actually feel like, but was just wondering what are the major advantages of the Carnage over the Rampage?

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

The Daiwa Sealine's would be an excellent choice the advantage being the one piece aluminum frame.  They are simply a better Senator made when Daiwa still had low labor costs in Japan.

The reason we recommend a Fathom 25N/30 is that you will use it all the time in the Santa Cruz area. Spooled with 50/65# braid you can use it for everything from San Diego to Alaska. It would be the most versatile rig you will own. You could also do a Squall 30/40 and for around $100 cover everything too. Far more versatile reels than sealines or senators.

Rampage versus carnage, the carnage is just a better blank. They can be found on sale as the next gen version of those is coming out.

q3fishboy

John - Thanks for all of the help.

What model/size sealine would you suggest?
And, does 50 pound and a 113H seem appropriate for what I have proposed?

I own a daiwa seagate 20 with 50 pound spectra and a shimano torium 20 with 65 pound spectra.
As it is, the torium almost never gets used.

As far as rods, what makes the blank better?
Is it more sensitive or more durable or what?
The coupon I have is actually part of a warranty claim, so, the rod will be ordered directly from Penn.

johndtuttle

Quote from: q3fishboy on October 09, 2015, 05:37:38 PM
John - Thanks for all of the help.

What model/size sealine would you suggest?
And, does 50 pound and a 113H seem appropriate for what I have proposed?

I own a daiwa seagate 20 with 50 pound spectra and a shimano torium 20 with 65 pound spectra.
As it is, the torium almost never gets used.

As far as rods, what makes the blank better?
Is it more sensitive or more durable or what?
The coupon I have is actually part of a warranty claim, so, the rod will be ordered directly from Penn.

If you have a Torium 20 then do not buy a Sealine or Senator. Save your money for a budget 2-speed reel. There is nothing a Sealine or Senator will land that a Torium 20 will not.

Yes, as far as the blanks go, the better blank is lighter and has better components.

thorhammer

I use torium 20 with 65 lb pp for grouper jigging. Even with fast gears it is pretty powerful.  Personally I don't like trolling braid in a big spread but maybe that's easy coast prejudice.

That said there are no telling how many millions of fish have been caught trolling of dropping with 113's and you see well on this site it can be later customized to your exact wishes if needed.
I run 50 mono on all of mine. 

If you go that route or even as john suggested hunting a two speed don't forget to check pawn shops. Good deals are to be had and frequently you end up with a diamond in the rough just needing a good service and ten bucks worth of new drags.

Good luck

John

q3fishboy

I guess I just like the torium set up with 65 pound braid and a short top shot of 30-40 pound mono.

Would like to fish straight 50 pound mono (or at least a much longer top shot) for trolling.

Guessing I would need more line capacity for that than my torium has.

Also like the idea of having lugs for trolling.

Planning on a 2 speed for my first lever drag at some point in the future when I can afford it.

Porthos

The Daiwa Sealine 50H is the lowest model that I'd fish at 50-60lb. 15lb max drag which will be 1/3 rule for 50lb or 1/4 rule for 60lb (remember that the rod guides will impart an additional 1-2 lbs of drag)

Here's a current option:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-Sealine-50H-Conventional-Fishing-Reel-/121780640905?hash=item1c5ab11c89

The next option (as of 10/9/2015) available with more capacity is:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daiwa-Sealine-350H-Conventional-Fishing-Reel-/121780641619?hash=item1c5ab11f53

For both, you will need to do the maintenance and drag washer upgrade here:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18.0

I'd get one 6-855 and FOUR 6-114's HT-100 washers (the fourth 6-114 is for just-in-case you need to double up the bottom 6-114 to match the factor drag stack height) from Alan.

If you get either reel for $30 total then you are looking at the following additional costs:
Drag washers $10 (both use the same washers)
Cal's Universal Drag Grease $9
So around $50 to start for the reel; or, you can apply this towards a two-speed.

Your options for braid line are 65, 80, or 100lb which will run $40-$60

Grand total for a Sealine with filled spool is between $90 to $110 BEFORE a rod comes into the picture.

johndtuttle

Quote from: q3fishboy on October 09, 2015, 06:09:10 PM
I guess I just like the torium set up with 65 pound braid and a short top shot of 30-40 pound mono.

Would like to fish straight 50 pound mono (or at least a much longer top shot) for trolling.

Guessing I would need more line capacity for that than my torium has.

Also like the idea of having lugs for trolling.

Planning on a 2 speed for my first lever drag at some point in the future when I can afford it.

If you have 65# braid on your Torium 20 that is ~400 yards. If you were to put 50# mono on a 113H you would get about 300 yards.

Put a top shot of 25 yards of 50# mono on your Torium and you are well ahead of the game.

Believe me, when we first started getting BFT in Santa Cruz in the el nino of 1989/90 (I think it was) we all got amped up to get big ones but your Tor 20 will handle anything you really have a chance on with a stock Sealine or Senator.

You simply do not gain anything with those reels unless you start doing lots of upgrades that take time to get all needed parts (and if the ebay reel you buy does not need parts).

And you really have to go to a 450H to get the capacity of a 4/0 Senator to make a Sealine worthwhile as a straight troller. A 350H is the same or smaller than a Tor 20.

q3fishboy

Thanks for all of the advice.

I've never targeted these fish before, so, open to suggestions on what gear is appropriate.

I just don't really like the idea of trolling with spectra, but what are your opinions on it?.

I should add that I also have a stock 112H which has some spectra with room for a decent mono top shot.