Jon knows Pelagics

Started by David Hall, October 08, 2015, 03:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

All my pics from my phone are jpegs and I can't get them to upload, so I'll tell the story and maybe Jon will upload the pics!  First of all Jon is such a great guy with a vast experience fishing Pelagics I tapped him with an invite which he graciously accepted so Tuesday morning we left my house at 0500 headed for Moss Landing.
I coerced Jon into giving me and my fishing partner, also Dave a private lesson in BFT fishing.  Since rumours of the elusive fish being sighted hanging around Monterey bay, and that is where I fish that's where we went.
Jon brought the gear,I brought the boat and brother Dave brought the food.
We loaded up with live bait and by the time I reached our target numbers Jon had everything rigged and ready to drop in.  Two rods deep on downriggers two off the stern and one up high and way back, all bridled with big live Macks.

i don't want to spoil the ending but it was the most awesome beautiful blue sky flat blue water day on the bay and fishing was to say the least a success.  i joined the small club of fishermen who can say I caught a blue fin tuna in Monterey Bay!
Post the pics here Jon!

Dominick

David send the photos to yourself by email.  When you are queried about size choose medium.  When the emails reach you move the photos to your photo files.  Then use the "Additional Options" tab below the AT post box.  Browse to the photos in your photo files and click on the path.  Do that for each of the photos you want to post.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

think I got it now thanks Dom

foakes

WOW!

Been out of Moss 100 times -- had no idea about BFT.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

David Hall

I think that 2015 is shaping up to be a highly unusual year in the bay.

Tightlines667

Nice job!

Was that a Shortfin Mako or just a Blue Shark?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

David Hall

Not sure Jon said it was a Mako but all I could tell you is it had a face full of ragged sharp teeth!

Jon Vadney

Thanks for the kind words David, It was a pleasure fishing you and your buddy Dave!

Here's some more pics, and yes that was a Mako.  My first one ever :)  After a few pics, he was promptly released.

David Hall

Got to use my new megoladon filet knife on this guy too, didn't think I'd get a fish big enough for that knife without a trip to Mexico!

BonitaBch

Beautiful, you West coast guys have it made ....

Great Catch David & Jon!
Bonita Beach, FL

johndtuttle

I so have the Jelly Beans!

BFT are rare, usually only seen in El Nino years, last one I caught was 1990 or so...(?)

Great work guys, its always a team effort!

White anal fin = BFT! In sight of the beach as well! :D

johndtuttle

Quote from: BonitaBch on October 12, 2015, 11:51:04 PM

Great Catch David & Jon!

If you knew how rare this is in Norcal waters you wouldn't say that! ;)

10 hours to SD where the fishing is really consistently good. :)

humboldtdan

How deep were you fishing the riggers and did the fish come on those or the shallow baits?

BonitaBch

Quote from: johndtuttle on October 13, 2015, 10:43:43 PM

Great Catch David & Jon!

Well ... maybe so and maybe not ... I remember David catching salmon in Monterey Bay and that all sounds pretty good
Bonita Beach, FL

johndtuttle

Quote from: BonitaBch on October 15, 2015, 01:42:53 AM
Quote from: johndtuttle on October 13, 2015, 10:43:43 PM

Great Catch David & Jon!

Well ... maybe so and maybe not ... I remember David catching salmon in Monterey Bay and that all sounds pretty good

Rockfish and Lings have been consistent. Salmon, hit or miss and now done...Tuna haven't shown offshore in good numbers like this in 10 years, BFT in 20 years....But the weather this year has been very good, usually it is rough as hell and you can't get to the best fishing 5/7 days a week. We fish, but it is generally meh at best. :D