East coast head boat tuna

Started by bill19803, October 11, 2015, 04:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefish69

Bill

If you knew me I wouldn't do that. I posted what the Capt. told me. I used to work on this boat in the Galley.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

BMITCH

Bill, sooooo sorry for the tuna bite this year, and or lack there of. It's been really hit or miss out there so far. Ya know when they start saying the blue fishing is good and shy away from the tuna reports....well, you know. It could still turn around . We've caught them as late as mid December. So ya never know.!!! Sounds like you'll be just about wore out by then. Good luck on any of the remaining trips you got and keep us posted. These are RELIABLE reports. Not just what the customers want to imagine.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

bill19803

bob

one  more  trip this sunday  and  thats the   end of this ordeal and saga.-you  know  how  i fish and the gear i use.
its been the  luck of the draw so  far   no  particular skill  involved  by those  successful.  this  past trip  fish  were  10 feet  down  and  it was sight fishing  for two minutes and  done.no other tuna  before or after grrrr. seems like  a  huge cloud of  squid  200  ft thick  are in  the area hard  to  compete with that

BMITCH

You'll get them this time...;-)
luck is the residue of design.

bill19803

my  health  prognosis  just took a  giant  hit

so im selling off everything now to make less work  for son later.

rods reels   lines hooks  swivels the  whole thing even coolers   emptying the  house  out  so  if you are looking for gear  now is the time

bill

coastal_dan

Again, so sorry to hear this Bill, seriously let me know a good night and I'll stop by to chat for a bit.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

bluefish69

Sorry to hear this Bill. If there is a little PeP left in the tank you can limit out on Sea Bass now.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

bill19803

thanks    for  the best  wishes   there is hope   i guess

Tightlines667

Quote from: bill19803 on October 19, 2016, 01:59:26 AM
bob

one  more  trip this sunday  and  thats the   end of this ordeal and saga.-you  know  how  i fish and the gear i use.
its been the  luck of the draw so  far   no  particular skill  involved  by those  successful.  this  past trip  fish  were  10 feet  down  and  it was sight fishing  for two minutes and  done.no other tuna  before or after grrrr. seems like  a  huge cloud of  squid  200  ft thick  are in  the area hard  to  compete with that

Somehow I managed to miss this thread.  Those huge clouds of squid are the ticket to keeping the tuna in a tight area.  Conversely, when they are chasing mesopelagics, or Epipelagic fish species there daily and wedkly ranges expand, they feed less frequently, and are prone to move/migrate with moving water masses. 

Squid are good for the tuna fishermen.  Shrimp can have similar shorter-term effects.

Bill,

I am sorry to hear of your health woes.  Stay strong, and let us know if there is anything we can do to help.  You may want to make a blanket gear posting in the fir sale section, and fellow members may be able to help with your liquidation process.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

broadway

Bill,
   I've enjoyed reading your pursuit for the big one for the past two seasons, and with that passion and determination I'm certain there's no "give up" in you.  We need you better to continue inspiring more of us to get out there and live our lives to the fullest as you do.  I wish you all the best and will miss your stories and journeys, but I'm still hoping you pull a Michael Jordan and come out of retirement real soon.
Stay well,
Dom

bill19803

things have gotten a bit better physically with a miserable  strict  diet.  i love  steak   its history   i love to eat lots  thats history tired  of  veggies  rice  and  1/3 portion of meat  and i feel like i will  sprout feathers soon.  but  fighting it the best i can  and getting  some results in  tests. maybe  just maybe  i  can  give  mr broadbill  another  run for  his life in the fall. meanwhile trying to pass on knowledge, techniques and equipment  to the younger  generation. and doing  some paying it  foreward to the members  here. But i  still  have my monster reels and rods in case i get the chance to join the chase again and  givem  _____ (12  yr  old rule) Thinking  about   a   top   shot  seminar  here for those local
thanks for the  kind thoughts

wallacewt

keep punchin bill  you may win on points

Alto Mare

Hang in there Bill, I'm glad to hear things are moving in the right direction, you'll be on that boat in no time.
Listen to Mr Wallacewt, keep at it. Good advise, that man is the strongest man I know.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bill19803

So another season about to begin. Made  reservations for  6 trips on golden eagle, belmar nj. Each  24 hrs to canyons on continental shelf. Started gear overhaul and found atd 50 with a couple bad bearings so off to California with it  no one here will touch atd with cals shifter. Checked line, waxed spools and cut out flaws and spliced as necessary. Let me tell you  80 wides hold a lot of line. Arm sore for a week after that.
Then the hunt for giant squid for bait. Nope we don't have any  but on a whim went to scotts bait and tackle (yes that scotts) and like penn parts they  had squid that weighed close to two pounds each. Got 8  might go get more but that should do it. Now all I have to do is get a couple of flats of local squid for the little fish and bait is taken care of.
Swords seem to want to come to the boat, go to the bow and run under the boat, so bought some 200 izor flouro for  75 ft top shot. That stuff resists cutting with a knife and has worked for me with sword and bigeye. Only reason I use that length is to protect against abrasion on bottom of boat.
We are ready loaded and locked and just waiting. More to follow after sept 9

Bill B

Bill, sounds like you may have the health concerns under control.  Hope this is the case and good luck chasing the big'ens....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!