East coast head boat tuna

Started by bill19803, October 11, 2015, 04:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill19803

doc   doesnt think health   probs  are under  control   but he  also  says  live   your life    so   swordfish  look out. Another trip   to   scotts   today  for  sword  bait. squid  that  have  tubes   up  to  a  foot  or  more   and  the   whole   thing  maybe   18  inches.Couldnt    find  them   anywhere   else  but   scotts      so i  bought  all  they  had. Ouch.  They  came  bagged   but ill  double  bag  in  2.5  gallon   zip locks    and  stash   them  away   maybe    for  next  year--who  knows   what   will happen  this   year  maybe   lots  of    big    fish  maybe  lots  of   sharks  stealing bait   and i  dont  want to be  without.  So  my personal bait   for a  trip  is  gonna be  3    big   squid,  4  mackeral   and   about  5  lbs  of   smaller  local   squid   for  yellowfins,   big   eyes   and  mahi. At  the  cost  of those  big ones  i  better be  bringing  home     dinner  if i use  all   three that i  take. But  ya  never  know  what   the  tax man  with  teeth  is   gonna  charge.   10  more  days   to wait   grrrrr   goal is  a   300  this  year.  Just    changed  out the  line  on    80stw  because i had   some  extra   130   hollow  spectra. I   sorta   forgot  how  much  line  that  critter  holds  but  my right  shoulder  is  reminding  me  of  that  fact  all  day  today. must be    1700  yards  anyway  on  there  . Its   done   now  though   just  have   to   put   end  loop  in  it    for  top   shots.

Alto Mare

Go Get'em $$$Bill! ...Good luck my friend.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

conchydong

If you cannot find large Squid in a bait and tackle store, check your local Asian markets. I found they often have them. At a much better price too, although they haven't been brined for preservation as bait.

bill19803

thanks  for the   tip on  oriental markets.  I  dont use  brined   squid  just  big ones  for  fishing   sword  500  ft  down. thinking  about  inserting  light  stick into  squid  as  an  attractant.  has  anyone tried  that  and can  advise  ?

thorhammer

They use the glow sticks here in Nc.  Good luck!

bill19803

normal  longliner  practice  for  sword  is  to  hang   glow  stick  or  light  stick  a few feet  above  bait.  was  thinking  about inserting  2 inch  glow sticks inside the  squid, along  with the  6 inch  stick  hanging  from  line  above  bait about  7  ft.  sure  would like feedback on the  idea  from anyone  who  has  tried  it,  domestic  or   foreign  doesnt  matter..

Tightlines667

I tried trolling mold craft squid daisy chains with lightsticks inserted in them at night while steaming on longline boats.  I caught a lot if Silky sharks down by the equator, and 1 Mako up on the swordfishing grounds.

Not exactly what u were looking for.  Most of our longliners fish light signs on every other branchline, 5-10' above the hook.  They are not allowed to fish with squid bait, because sea turtles prefer squid to mackerel.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Decker

Bill,

It was great to meet you last night at Sal's and hear tuna fishing stories and techniques!   The kind of knowledge that you have needs to be passed on.   My grandparents used to go out for tuna out of Brielle, long before I was born, and it was my grandmother who got me into party boat fishing in NJ.   As a teenager I fished for blues on the Miss Barnegat Light, and I enjoyed hearing about your history with Capt. Larsen.

If there is anything I can do to help you post online, to share stories or techniques, I'll be happy to help!  Let me know...

Best,

Joe

coastal_dan

Bill is a wealth of tuna knowledge...getting he and Sal in the same place is a special occasion.  Hopefully there was some Brandy passed around to take off the 40 degrees chill  :D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

bill19803

a  word  to the  wise    if  you  are invited  to  Sals  place  expect  hospitality   the likes  of   which  you have  seldom   encountered.  talk  of  reels  and  fishing ,  a  chance to see   parts  of  Sals great  collection  and  two  chefs  of  great  ability.  great food,  great  conversation,  great  fellowship  with  "THE MAN"  and  his  wife. Thank you  Sal   for  a great  evening.
Bill

Decker

Without a doubt, Sal and his family offer unmatched old-world hospitality!  Good to see some East-coast Ohana.   

Dan has planned a bottom-fishing trip in for Nov. 30 but I won't be able to make it, unfortunately.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23197   

bluefish69

I said that I would go on the trip last year but I have Med. Tests the day before Thanksgiving. I might not be going anywhere for a while.

There might be a 1 month season for Sea Bass in the month of Feb. Keep your ears open.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

coastal_dan

Thanks for the tip Mike - and good luck with all of your tests.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

bill19803

mike
hope  your tests  come  out  well   mine  didnt
  will  be  selling  majority  of  my  gear on  here.  will  list  one  item at a  time later  to avoid  confusion   it  wont be cheap  but it will  be  good
a  summary  for  now more details later
80stw, 50 sw, 20, 30sw  baker  frame/cals All  except   20  with tib handles  and  clamps, cortland 130 hollow,16 strand,waxed spool  arbor all  service  yt  kens, oceanside ca
accurate atd 50w,  50 atd 30 t atd (cals) atd30t (cals) all  with   cals  shifter,  clamps, cortland 130 hollow 16 strand, waxrd spool  arbor, all  service  by  kens or cals
finnor 12  same size as  80stw old fashioned 2 speed built like tank  old dacron line
114h   by  sal ss gears ddog motive fab insert kit. lou  knob, special crank ss sleeve, keta dogs, springs  a  larger  tank
some  6/0   black and red   stock.
custom calstars all  graphiters  appx 10  all  with long butts  for rail long range prefer  pickup on  rods  as  i  dont have shipping  tubes anymore.(de/pa/nj/md
770xxxh, 770xxh,770h,7465h,765xl,760h 
all  have aftco  hd  seat and  gimbal,  fuji  bhpng ring guides, 3  or  more coats  flex coat light on  wraps and  more  guides  than necessary lol
my cost  was  over 300  each  just for  materials