alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial East coast head boat tuna
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
August 14, 2018, 11:32:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: East coast head boat tuna  (Read 22023 times)
coastal_dan
Green Firefish, Anchor of the Oceans!
Sensei

« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2017, 06:32:13 AM »

Bill is a wealth of tuna knowledge...getting he and Sal in the same place is a special occasion.  Hopefully there was some Brandy passed around to take off the 40 degrees chill  Cheesy

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...
bill19803

« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2017, 08:39:29 AM »

a  word  to the  wise    if  you  are invited  to  Sals  place  expect  hospitality   the likes  of   which  you have  seldom   encountered.  talk  of  reels  and  fishing ,  a  chance to see   parts  of  Sals great  collection  and  two  chefs  of  great  ability.  great food,  great  conversation,  great  fellowship  with  "THE MAN"  and  his  wife. Thank you  Sal   for  a great  evening.
Bill
Decker

One fish, two fish, redfish, bluefish.

« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2017, 07:44:17 AM »

Without a doubt, Sal and his family offer unmatched old-world hospitality!  Good to see some East-coast Ohana.   

Dan has planned a bottom-fishing trip in for Nov. 30 but I won't be able to make it, unfortunately.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23197   
bluefish69

Just West of J.F.K. Airport N.Y.

« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2017, 03:36:59 PM »

I said that I would go on the trip last year but I have Med. Tests the day before Thanksgiving. I might not be going anywhere for a while.

There might be a 1 month season for Sea Bass in the month of Feb. Keep your ears open.

Mike

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
coastal_dan
Green Firefish, Anchor of the Oceans!
Sensei

« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2017, 04:24:50 AM »

Thanks for the tip Mike - and good luck with all of your tests.

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...
bill19803

« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2017, 11:43:49 AM »

mike
hope  your tests  come  out  well   mine  didnt
  will  be  selling  majority  of  my  gear on  here.  will  list  one  item at a  time later  to avoid  confusion   it  wont be cheap  but it will  be  good
a  summary  for  now more details later
80stw, 50 sw, 20, 30sw  baker  frame/cals All  except   20  with tib handles  and  clamps, cortland 130 hollow,16 strand,waxed spool  arbor all  service  yt  kens, oceanside ca
accurate atd 50w,  50 atd 30 t atd (cals) atd30t (cals) all  with   cals  shifter,  clamps, cortland 130 hollow 16 strand, waxrd spool  arbor, all  service  by  kens or cals
finnor 12  same size as  80stw old fashioned 2 speed built like tank  old dacron line
114h   by  sal ss gears ddog motive fab insert kit. lou  knob, special crank ss sleeve, keta dogs, springs  a  larger  tank
some  6/0   black and red   stock.
custom calstars all  graphiters  appx 10  all  with long butts  for rail long range prefer  pickup on  rods  as  i  dont have shipping  tubes anymore.(de/pa/nj/md
770xxxh, 770xxh,770h,7465h,765xl,760h 
all  have aftco  hd  seat and  gimbal,  fuji  bhpng ring guides, 3  or  more coats  flex coat light on  wraps and  more  guides  than necessary lol
my cost  was  over 300  each  just for  materials
bluefish69

Just West of J.F.K. Airport N.Y.

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2017, 01:36:02 PM »

The Sea Bass season for Feb. has been cancelled AGAIN.

My Tests are still pending. I will be eating Turkey.

Mike

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2018, 06:54:52 AM »

Any recommendation for a Tuna trip ?

bill19803

« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2018, 07:22:02 PM »

So  its  getting  to be that  time  of  the year again.  Tuna  trips   start    sept   10   for  me.  Goal  this year   200 lb   sword   true  stand up   style. No  chair  no  rod  holder   just  me  vs   fish on a anchored head  boat   with   24 other  guys. Was wandering   around    ebay  and  what  to my  wondering  eyes    should appear   but   an  atd  130   that  was   cheap. A  cuiple  of  bids  and deal  done. It arrived  and  it  was all it  was advertised  and then   some- no boat rash  one  small scratch  and  a      monster   winch. Cleaned    it up  waxed  spool  checked  all  screws  to make  sure  not  corroded in place  and  greased   the holes    to  seal  them  with  cals. Then  the  fun   putting on  line   without  a   line  winder. Took a week to  get it   done.   4275  cranks   in  low  gear   to  put on  130  spectra hollow   c-16.. Then  600  cranks   to load on  appx    200  yds   izor   135   first  string   and  then   75   ft of  izor   200   flouro. Still  got   room   for  maybe  200-300  yds  of  mono but not  gonna  put it on.  If  the 4000   ft of line is  not  enough  i need   to  grow  a much bigger pair. Fighting a  fish   thru all  that  line   would literally  put  an old  guy like  me in the hospital  or the  casket.
A few   trips  here  and there    to  get   HD   swivels   crimps  and hooks  and   all  gear  on  hand. Spent a few  nights   tying hooks, spraying   crimps  black,   crimping short leaders    for   bottom hooks on  2 hook  rigs.  Bait has  been in freezer  since last year   2  lb   squid  now  have  about    20  of  them from   scotts   B &  T (mystic   parts)
Back  up  gear  this  year    atd 80  loaded  with  spectra   and   80stw  loaded  with  spectra.  Rods  all custom  calstars   770 series xxxh,   XXH  and  xh  fuji   guides.

Yep im  ready   and   wanting  to   go   already.  Nothing like a bit  of   high  expectations  and  anticipation  but thats   fishing.  So  now  its  just  hunker  down  and  wait,  get on the boat  and  wait and hope. 

Next  report    sept  12   whether its the  good,  the bad  or the ugly
mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2018, 11:27:00 PM »

where when costs?

bill19803

« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2018, 03:39:31 AM »

Ruben

Goldeneaglefishing.com     has  all  the  info
the    24 hour  trips  are  strictly   tuna/sword   the   31 hours   do  an  afternoon  of  pot hopping   for  mahi  before  anchoring   for  tuna/sword  for  the  night
no   guarantees   its   fishing .The  mahi   fishing  can be  fantastic  but there  are   some tricks   to getting the bigger ones.Seems most guys  concentrate  on  numbers  of   fish rather then   size Me ill take  1   20  lber   rather  then  5    3   lber  and there are  some hoos   at pots  too
Decker

« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2018, 07:50:11 AM »

Bill, glad to see you are feeling your oats!! 

I'm going to seriously consider going, especially if we can put together an East Coast Ohana trip.  Grin Grin Grin  I don't have the kind of tackle that this trip demands, but will work on it. 
bill19803

« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2018, 09:23:31 AM »

Joe   if  you   can handle  using   atd reel  with  spectra  ive   got  all  we    could need,   atd 30,    50,   50 w.  Intl   30   50w   80w
all  we  need is   guys
Decker

« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2018, 09:37:27 AM »

Bill, thanks very much for offering your gear!  I see they rent too.   Can you round up guys?  Sounds like you plan on going out more than once...

https://www.goldeneaglefishing.com/schedule
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: