alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial East coast head boat tuna
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 21, 2018, 06:45:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: East coast head boat tuna  (Read 23617 times)
bluefish69

Just West of J.F.K. Airport N.Y.

« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2018, 08:21:11 AM »

Bill

The Voyager had about the same report. Check his site for his report. He changed his trips around a little.

Mike

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Decker

One fish, two fish, redfish, bluefish.

« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2018, 04:40:59 AM »

Bill, thanks very much for the report.  I admire you getting out there, and am grateful for the account.   Interesting world out there.  Hope we can do an East Coast Ohana trip or two in the future.   Remind me, please when the time is coming in springtime to make reservations.  Good luck on the next trip!
mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2018, 05:42:16 PM »

72 degree water temperature out of Brooklyn yesterday.  ... FWIW

http://www.brooklyn-living.com/fishing.html

bill19803

« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2018, 08:03:18 AM »

well the last  trip  came  and  went.    went pot hopping   for  mahi in afternoon     good  catches   and  then anchored  up   for  the night    water  71 degrees
750   ft. Squid    were  around  up high   and   down  deep  too. Put out   giant   squid    with    20   oz  lead  and   700   ft line. Nada  nada nada  Couple mahi mahi  caught  on   tuna  gear.  one    small  sword. That all  she    wrote   for  the night  for the boat.  back  to pot hoppin in morning  for mahi mahi.  Thats  it   for this year, probably  never   go  again  but  we  will   see  how  it  all  works out

Bill

out
Decker

« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2018, 09:52:36 AM »

72 degree water temperature out of Brooklyn yesterday.  ... FWIW
http://www.brooklyn-living.com/fishing.html

Funny, the Sheepshead Bay party boats are only about an hour and a half drive from my house outside Phillly.   What is is about NYC that attracts so many fish?  Roll Eyes 

Bill, sorry to hear the trip was less than successful.  Hold on to some hope of an Ohana outing in the future...
bluefish69

Just West of J.F.K. Airport N.Y.

« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2018, 04:45:11 PM »

THe last thing that I read from the Brooklyn VI in Sheepshead Bay is NO TUNA FISHING this year.

Mike

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
BMITCH
Firearms Group

Bob

« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2018, 06:35:32 AM »

Long time fellow AT members. Iím baaaaack. Lol. Got 4 trips to the edge planned in the next 3 weeks. Blown out of a 36 hour trip this week. Forecast was fo 20-30 knot winds and 6-12 footers. Glad that one didnít go. Iím getting too old to fish in those conditions. Not fun nor funny. This wind and weather has put a hurtin on the head boats even getting out there. Hope Mother Nature cooperates these next couple weeks. Will get back with reports..IF they go 

luck is the residue of design.
Decker

« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2018, 07:16:08 AM »

Long time fellow AT members. Iím baaaaack. Lol. Got 4 trips to the edge planned in the next 3 weeks. Blown out of a 36 hour trip this week. Forecast was fo 20-30 knot winds and 6-12 footers. Glad that one didnít go. Iím getting too old to fish in those conditions. Not fun nor funny. This wind and weather has put a hurtin on the head boats even getting out there. Hope Mother Nature cooperates these next couple weeks. Will get back with reports..IF they go 

Good luck and looking forward to reports.  Which boat are you going out on?   
BMITCH
Firearms Group

Bob

« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2018, 07:22:34 AM »

Queen Mary. Inshore 60 mile trip. Gambler and Voyager. To be honest..unfortunately I donít keep a log book, but Iíve been doing this head boat tuna thing since 82. I would have to say the majority of fish have been in November. Usually smaller specimens though. Mostly LFTís

BMITCH
Firearms Group

Bob

« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2018, 07:26:05 AM »

Decker, I see the grumpyís Sign. Maybe a sea bass trip in December when they open the season again? Voyager has heated hand rails.

Reel 224
Jersey Devil
Firearms Group

New Jersey

« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2018, 08:04:09 AM »

The Queen Mary Had a great Captain in the late 60s and 70s Me and my brother fished the boat every week and always Caught fish.

We stopped when my brother got a boat.Head boats are not my cup of tea anymore, It was fun in it's day though.

Joe   

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."
BMITCH
Firearms Group

Bob

« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2018, 08:11:15 AM »

Hey joe, hope all is well with you and yours. Unfortunately this time of year the weather windows are sketchy at best so..... 90ft of boat works for me.

Decker

« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2018, 08:52:33 AM »

Decker, I see the grumpyís Sign. Maybe a sea bass trip in December when they open the season again? Voyager has heated hand rails.

I've heard good things about the Voyager.  December is a tough month for me - two birthdays and my wedding anniversary.  But let me know.  I'd definitely like to get out on the water with some guys from this site.

* Seabass.JPG (17.45 KB, 233x195 - viewed 50 times.)
Gfish
Gfish

What? Me worry?

« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2018, 02:30:34 PM »

What's a "head boat"? I.e., what makes a sportfishing boat a head boat, relative to others that aren't?

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!
BMITCH
Firearms Group

Bob

« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2018, 02:48:30 PM »

I think it goes back a ways. Packed onto a boat like ďheadsĒ of cattle. Generally here on the east coast they run from 40 to 110 feet. In the fall/winter itís the only way to get to the fish

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: