East coast head boat tuna

Started by bill19803, October 11, 2015, 04:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Decker

The Marilyn Jean in Sheepshead Bay is posting pictures of pretty big tog on their reports page...  hmmm.  https://mj2fishing.com/category/marilyn-jean-iv-ny-fishing-reports/

Reel 224

Nice Tog, Is anyone doing anything in the Atlantic City area? They generally catch BIG tog!.....................Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

bill19803

Reuben 
Thanks  for the heads up on  boat  for tuna   brooklyn  is a bit out of my  travel  range  as its    2.5 hrs  to  GW  bridge   and  then  NYC   congestion.  Belmar  is  as  far   as  i  go  north   and  that pushing  it   a bit past limit. Seems  to be  some  action in  Baltimore  and poormans   canyon  but have not heard  of  anything    significant. 
Waiting   waiting   waiting  2  more months to  go

Benni3

This looks like it will be a great trip,,,,,, ;D

bill19804

the  saga  continues , again

its that  time  of  year again  to  pursue  sword/tuna from  party  boaton  east  coast

off  to  barnegat light nj  for  another  try  for swords  on sept 12  had a  hard  time  findding  big  squid  for  bait. found a  few  but  not  really  big  enough  to  make  me  happy., but  dealt  with  it  first  trip  on  9/12 yielded  a  big  fat goose  egg.  a  few mahi   during a  session  going  from  bouy  to  bouy  and  then  settled   on  anchor  to  try  for  tuna/ sword. a  lousy  current  kept  boat  swinging  on  anchor  scope.  only  on  big  fish  caught on boat  a  50 inch  fl  sword  no tun  ugght

weather  cancelled trip on  sept  19. shucks

on  boat  again  sept 26  and off  to  the deep  water  lobster  bouys  for  mahi.  a lot  of  them  were  barren so  a lot  of  guys  have  been  fishing  them.  got  half  dozen  fish  but only one gaffer  on  boat  maybe  20  lbs  bull mahi.

then  anchor  up  for  the  night for  big fish.  slow  slow  and  slow. again  bad  current  but  thats  fishing.

finally  at  about  midnight  someone  landed  nice  yellowfin  maybe  60  lbs.  a  slow  pick  for  next  couple  hours  and  then  torrential  rain. thats  what  they  make  rain  gear  for  so  suited  up  and  kept  at  it.  most  chose  to  wait  out  storm  in  bunks.

maybe  4  am  get  hit  - nice  yellow  about 110  lbs  liked  to  kick  my  butt  but  it  didnt  work  out  well  for  him.  then  hour  later 50  lb  albacore  tried  same  stunt  with  same results.

half  hour  later  partner  and  50  lb  yellowfin  duke  it  out.   fish  now  in  freezer.

so  summary   three  fish  for  me  and  buddy.  no  sword  with  minimal  sword  fishing  time  cause  of  current.

at  it  again next  week  again.

broadway

Awesome play by play!
I always love your passion for that elusive monster sword.
I wish you a safe and productive next trip👍
My best
Dom

Decker

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the report.   I admire your tenacity to get out there.  Hope you can put some big meat on the deck soon.

For my education, what are good and bad currents for tuna fishing?  Is it mainly the tide?  Do the tuna party boats typically anchor, and  is it possible for them to drift for tuna chunking?

Thanks,
/Joe

thorhammer

Bill, nice work even if no sword! I like YFT better on plate anyway :)

John

Benni3

Great fishing report,,,,,, ;)
Quote from: thorhammer on September 27, 2021, 05:57:54 PM
Bill, nice work even if no sword! I like YFT better on plate anyway :)

John
It time for me to come down your way to do a headboat,,,,,,,,,, ;D

bill19804

so  this  past  weekend  up at  3 am  saturday  and off  to  the  boat  with  fishin partner  got  him  to  drive and  to  do lifting/toting  as  i really cant do it  anymore  we got to boat  530  half  passengers already there  but  got the right  spot to  fish  from, decent bunk locations  and  good  bench seat  in  cabin

did  the  pot hoppin  trick  for  mahi  a  dozen  for the  two of  us  then  off  to  canyon   to  go  for  big  boys anchored  in  690  feet  right on  edge  of  canyon ,  crew  chumming  i  floated  a  squid   freeline  style  to  see  if  anyone  around  no one  there  current  was  stern  to  bow  again like  last  time.  got settled  in  rigged  up big  squid  on  atd  50,  200  flouro leader  2  hooks in  squid  16  ozs  lead   started  at  100  ft down  10 feet  more  every  few  mins  till  at 300  ft. nothing home  did  that  several  more  times  nothing   front of  boat  got  hot  maybe 4  50/60  yft

in middle  of  night  a  flurry  up  front    3-4  fish

500 am  neighbor in  stern hooks  up  fought fish  some  weird  style  and  fish  was in  control the  whole  time. crew saw  it  once  said BIG big  eye  hook  pulled.  10  minutes later  same  guy  same  battle  same  results  turns  out he  was  uing  circcle hooksw no  bridle  with  16  oz of  weight  This does  not give  good  hookset  except  by  accident

then  partner hooked  up  and   fish  was  beating his  butt.  fish  hung up on  rudder  crew  gaffed  line  up  foreward  tied to  rail   cut  line  pulled  it  out  of  rudder  and  spliced  together.  and  the fight  went  on  for  another  hour. reel  accurate atd 30  25  lbs  drag 130  cortland  hollow  braid   mustad  94151 9/0 hook 100  top  knot flouro  from  swivel  to  hook

oops  knot broke  and  end  of  story  but  hes  got  memories  now  he is  a newbie  to  this  but  is  committed  to it  after  that battle
13 fish  to  boat  no  big ones  5  big ones  lost  that i know  of

just  got  call  this week  trip  cancelled  10  ft  waves  on   way  home so  now  wait another  week  for  trip.
sooner   or  later we  will  land  another  of  those  big gals  i  hope i hope

more in two weeks  if  this  79  year  old  ill  body  is  capable  of  doing it again
oh  yeah  had  surgery  friday  afternoon  for blood  clot  and fished saturday

Benni3

Great job man your still doing it,,,,,, ;D

bill19804

i  try  to  do  it  but  folks  are good  at  helping  me.  crew  helps  unload  truck  and  tote partner  drives  and  totes.  crew or  partner  land  fish  when i poop out  after  a  couple  minutes. but  i  do  what i  can.  generous  with tips  helps too.  dialysis  aint  for the  faint of heart  but beats the  hell  out  of  alternative  dirt nap.

Swami805

Thanks for the report, keep going,your number will come up.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Donnyboat

Love your report, thanks, better luck in the future, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat