Marking mono

Started by BMITCH, October 14, 2015, 11:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Ok folks...this may have been addressed here already but please humor me. How do you mark mono at given lengths. I want to indicate a mark at every 50 feet and I'm not so sure a permanent marker will not wash out.
Also..will crazy glue damage mono line. Any help would be appreciated

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

foakes

You might consider just marking the inside of your spool as you spool the line --

One could use HD tape from the arbor up to the lip -- with a color code dot at intervals -- such as we used to identify resistor values in the old days of vacuum tube electronics.

For example -- We were taught to memorize the OHM resistance value from 1 to a billion with this little memory trick:

Bad boys run our young girls behind victory garden walls.

1 - Black
2 - Brown
3 - Red
4 - orange
5 - Yellow
6 - Green
7 - Blue
8 - Violet
9 - Grey
10-White

Or get one of those clip on line counters from Shakespeare or Cabelas for $10 - $20.

In the salt -- super glue will loosen  -- probably won't hurt your line -- but some of your modern epoxies that have a heat chemical component...will melt line.

Sharpies or tape, or string, or other things will all come off pretty soon.

And it just becomes overly complicated and finicky.

Or get a line counter reel.

Just a few ideas --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

BMITCH

Thanks Fred. The problem is that I'll be deep dropping say...500/600 ft. I was reading somewhere that some were using permanent sharpies or even dental floss with the spectra serving glue. I'm not really keen on the line counter idea. In the brine those clip on ones I don't will hold up

foakes

You are right, Bob --

You can use braid, and mark it --

Or use a L/C reel --

Or someone may have a better solution for the mono --

If you know your reel, line, and use a clip on line counter a few times just initially -- pretty soon you will have a good feel for where your line is without having to look at a number anyway.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

conchydong

BMITCH, Just curious as to why you would not be using Spectra if you are dropping? It would be hard to feel a bite with mono dropping that deep. You can, of course, buy Spectra or Dyneema lines that are marked in feet or meters. The no stretch factor in the braid is a must for deep dropping IMO. The only way that I know to mark mono is to whip some floss on it at pre determined intervals.

BMITCH

We are headboat fishing. They frown upon spectra/braid due to the inherent dangers associated with it and the fact if you hookup and the fish makes a run across other mono lines ......say goodbye

swill88

I use the small rubber bands used for orthodontics.
After pulling line counting the feet just loop a band and cinch it.
Emeryville sportfishing sells them and a small pack lasts years.

BMITCH

Yes..I too am currently using  xs rubber bands. I find sometime they may slip up or down the line. Just looking for a more reliable marking system is all

otownjoe

You could try nail knots with different color spectra.charkbait  sells small spools of specta and the right super glue to keep them in place.I dont think glue would be a problem because most of the wind on leaders use it .

oc1

I tie a piece of yellow 10# braid on the line with uni-type knot of about 8 to 10 wraps.  Same as using dental floss.  The knot can slide on the mainline with some effort but usually stays put.  Passes the guides well when casting.
-steve

EDIT: sorry, don't know how I found a thread from October.

day0ne

Quote from: BMITCH on October 14, 2015, 05:21:35 PM
We are headboat fishing. They frown upon spectra/braid due to the inherent dangers associated with it and the fact if you hookup and the fish makes a run across other mono lines ......say goodbye

Mostly myths
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

ScottOz

I use #16 rubber bands cut thenwrapped 20 times around mono and spiralled back on its self like a Bimini and finished with a couple of overhand knots.Do this to mark set back distance for trolling and bait fishing.works for me.

coralsea

We (local fishermen) use Japanese marked ( 5 colors) mono line
You can choose markers every 10 meters (32,8 feet) or every 20 meters.(65,6 feet). Very useful thing.
Here is the label:

no pain-no gain

mizmo67

I think Scott uses colored nail polish and gives it a quick coat, if I recall correctly...

Ran out front to ask, since he's doing one right now.

He puts bait thread on at every 100ft, about 1.5 in.
Polish colors are red, white and blue alternating.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

doradoben

Daiwa makes 2 different braid lines that have a color change every 10 meters.

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/cshL_Daiwa.htm