Problem with Penn International 16VS GOING INTO GEAR

Started by fishhead69, October 18, 2015, 02:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhead69

I have one of these reels I am working on and the spool does not turn when you put the reel in gear pushing the lever drag up from the free spool position. What is the problem? It worked before the customer had new Spectre put on it by somebody else. Did they damage the reel when they put the new Spectre on it? It is a Penn International 16VS serial #E090187

fishhead69

Also the shifter button does not pop out all the way and it does not pop out with a crisp popping noise like it should. It looks like somebody turned the wrench instead of turning or twisting the ring counter clockwise maybe damaging the 23-30VS screw, F/Handle/Shift Button. Could that cause the reel to not go into gear when pushing the lever drag up out of the free spool position?

mizmo67

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

fishhead69

The problem is that the reel does not go into gear which is probably because the nut that tightens it down the click button nut or the handle screw is not tightened down all the way because the shifter button does not pop out as far as it should. It only sticks out about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch instead of the normal 3/8 to 1/2 inch. Does that make sense?

mizmo67

There's definitely a problem in the shifter.
That previous link that I sent you also includes a link to Penn's step by step, but here's that too:
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/pennbulletins/IntVSShiftButtonRemove.pdf

Look the parts over, it sounds like 23 is bent and possibly the plastic pieces in the assembly may also be damaged.

If you do need to order parts, make sure you read the design change notes and identify your reel version:
https://scottsbt.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203741379
so that you can order the right parts for it.

We have both sets of schematics and parts in the catalog once you figure out which version you are working on.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/International.aspx#InternationalVSX
~Mo

fishhead69

Here is the serial number for that reel Maureen. It is a Penn International 16VS serial #E090187

fishhead69

I got the reel to go back into gear. It works fine with the button for the 2-speed in the popped out position (high gear) but when you push the button in (low gear)  and turn the handle it just free wheels and the spool does not turn. So it is the 23-30VS HANDLE/SHIFT BUTTON SCREW that is bad right? You can't tell by looking at it. I guess it only has to be bent a little bit and that's it, it's bad and needs to be replaced and the reel will not shift properly.

Tightlines667

I would replace that first, and maybe buy a couple of 0.3mm SS drive shaft shim washers.  The V series Penn reels have much tiger tolerances and often require shimming under the main gears once they wear appreciably.  There should be very little in/out handle play when assembled.  If it is noticable, I would shim underneith.  Cleaning and servicing the 2 speed mech.  (found in another tutorial) is also likely warranted here.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

fishhead69

I replaced the part #23-30VS Handle Screw and the reel goes into high gear just fine but does not go into low gear. When you push the button in and turn the handle nothing happens. Am I missing something?

mizmo67

~Mo

Tightlines667

Quote from: fishhead69 on October 28, 2015, 03:53:40 PM
I replaced the part #23-30VS Handle Screw and the reel goes into high gear just fine but does not go into low gear. When you push the button in and turn the handle nothing happens. Am I missing something?

I would first do a full service on the 2-speed mech. (there is a tutorial on this for the V series somewhere here).  Then try shimming under the gears.  Sometimes it's a spacing isdue, and sometimes it is just gunked up or improperly lubed.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Hope springs eternal

fishhead69

Problem solved. I called Penn and talked to Tony. He is the man when it comes to Penn reel repair. He told me that it was probably the  194-24KG the spiral retaining ring that holds the 128A-24KG cam housing in place that came loose. He was right. That was the problem, it was not the 23-30VS handle screw. So if anybody gets stuck on a problem with Penn reels. Enough said call Fred, I mean Tony. LOL

Tightlines667

Quote from: fishhead69 on October 28, 2015, 09:54:41 PM
Problem solved. I called Penn and talked to Tony. He is the man when it comes to Penn reel repair. He told me that it was probably the  194-24KG the spiral retaining ring that holds the 128A-24KG cam housing in place that came loose. He was right. That was the problem, it was not the 23-30VS handle screw. So if anybody gets stuck on a problem with Penn reels. Enough said call Fred, I mean Tony. LOL

Tony is the man.  Good work!
Hope springs eternal

josa1

Hi fishhead666,

Here is a link to the service procedures for the "V" series shifting mechanism...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7972.0

On most problems for no low speed gear, I would always look at the spiral retainer.

Good work on finding out the why and the fixing of the problem.

josa1

fishhead69

Thanks for the link on the tutorial. The tutorials are really well done and very informative. Thanks Paul