Apple-Brined & Smoked Pheasant

Started by Tightlines667, October 18, 2015, 04:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Once a year, just before pheasant opener, I have historically used smoking as a method to use up any game meat remaining in the freezer from the previous sewson.  This, and canning frees up needed freezer space and ensures nothing goes to waste.  One of my favorite recipes is the Apple-brined and smoked pheasant.  Here's what I do...

1)Thaw out the whole or breasted pheasant and legs
2)Make up the brine in a cooler, 5 gallon bucket or similar container
3)Brine meat for 18-24hrs
4)Smoke (I prefer Apple or Cherrywood) @ 220 (+/-20) deg. F for 4-6hrs
5)Eat whole, or shred it up and make sandwiches

The brine I prefer for pheasants is made of salt, brown sugar, apple juice, oranges, ginger, cloves, bay leaves and garlic.

Here's how you make it...

Ingredients (for ~20lbs of meat)
2 quarts apple juice
1 pound brown sugar
1 cup kosher salt
3 quarts cold water
3 oranges, quartered
4 ounces fresh ginger, unpeeled and thinly sliced
15 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
6 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed

Directions:

A.
Combine the apple juice, brown sugar, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve. Boil for one minute, remove from heat, let mixture come to room temperature, then refrigerate to 40°F.

B.
In a large non-reactive container, combine the apple juice mixture with the remaining brine ingredients. When adding the oranges, squeeze each piece to release the juice into the container, then drop in the peel.

C.
Put all of the cool, raw meat in the brine, and ensure it is fully submerged if necessary. Place in the refrigerator and let brine for 18-24 hours.

Notes:

-Rotate the meat midway through the smoking process

-Watch it carefully towards the end of smoking
-Smoking is complete when the internal temperature of the meat is 165 deg F
-This recipe also works great with turkey, ducks or other birds

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Sounds good John, pheasant is one of my favorite.
How about some pics of you in action as a masterchef ;D.
Thanks for sharing.
Sal

Grin...very nice.
Not to deviate, but watch out for the shots, a new tooth with post could cost over $4000 Grin
I bet those are tasty when done.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

It turned out really good.  Interesting how many people that refused gifts of field-dressed birds, jump on a chance to get some smoked pheasant.  These will dissapear quickly.
Hope springs eternal

jigmaster501

Make sure to keep those vac packed smoked meats at 38f or less or freeze them.

That looks good. Pheasant has a pleasant flavor that is very smooth and  goes well with potatoes.

Tightlines667

Quote from: jigmaster501 on October 20, 2015, 08:00:53 PM
Make sure to keep those vac packed smoked meats at 38f or less or freeze them.

That looks good. Pheasant has a pleasant flavor that is very smooth and  goes well with potatoes.

The vacuum packed birds in the picture are currently residing in the freezer.  The other 9 have been, or are about to be consumed.
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Update...

All smoked pheasants have been consumed.  My dad is currently working on shooting enough to brine & smoke a second batch later this week. 
Hope springs eternal

Alto Mare

Looks  good John.

Quote from: jigmaster501 on October 20, 2015, 08:00:53 PM
That looks good. Pheasant has a pleasant flavor that is very smooth and  goes well with potatoes.

Yes it does, plus a glass of red wine, rosemary, onions, red pepper and a little hot pepper.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.