Kastking - don't throw rocks at me!

Started by Nicko_Cairns, October 19, 2015, 12:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicko_Cairns

Hi guys,

I read some pretty good reviews for the price and got two on the way from the USA for $119 delivered... so I'm very curious to see how these reels fish. If they don't cast well that's fine as I can use them as trolling reels from my kayak but judging by the reviews they should be surprisingly good...

Will let you know! Anyone else have one yet? (kingkast royale baitcaster).

Cheers.

Nicko_Cairns

Haha well I'm guessing that's a big no! Well I'll do a quick show and tell and will put up a review of them after a few trips :)

tristan

No rock throwing, but unfamiliar with that make of reel.   Can you post specs or links?

Are your reels spinners or conventionals?

alantani

i'd want to completely go through it first. but i bet they would be ok after that.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jplee3

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but just curious if anyone around here has gotten one of these (or other KK reels) or has spent any time poking around inside? I recently got one and opened it up to check after a couple surf outings. Some minor corrosion/rust around the shaft area where the star drag sits, and some minor rust stains on the belleville washers. Otherwise, seems to be in pretty good condition otherwise. I wiped off the existing grease/moisture on the drag stack and re-greased with Cal's, as well as hit as much else as I could with CX and Yamalube. It was a little tricky getting the spool to sit right on the shaft but eventually I got it and it seems OK. This isn't designed for saltwater btw so for anyone who absolutely mandhandles and abuses their reels (especially in the salt) this reel probably wouldn't last longer than a couple days lol.

In particular, I read an anecdote about a guy who fished this in the salt for two days before it was no good. The killer for me was that he "soaked" the reel in water thinking that would help. What I've generally noticed is that if you "soak" reels intended for freshwater in freshwater after a saltwater outing, rust tends to develop very quickly unless you dry that sucker out really well. I'm assuming this is because the internal components on reels intended for freshwater likely are not anodized or corrosion/rust resistant...?

Tiddlerbasher

I have a few of the KastKing Katmai fly reels. For the price they are well made - good machining and everything works smoothly including the disk drag (don't believe the stated drag figures - useable drag on the 7/8 size is 10lb - not the claimed 25lb ::)) They also claim it's waterproof - I haven't tested it but it looks more water resistant than proof.

They also make another fly reel the Kobuk - tried one in 9/10 but returned it - sloppy spool fit. Some of the machining had left fairly sharp edges on the spool (not very good for the line). The drag was weak. A very different animal to the Katmai at a similar price ???

If you can still find them the Katmai range are good. Using hollow core braid for backing I can get 150+ yds of backing and an 8wt saltwater flyline on the 7/8 wt reel. For UK trout/salmon fishing I use the 5/6 wt Katmai as it's lighter and balances a modern cf fly rod better.

Their website isn't showing any fly reels at the moment - maybe they have stopped production :-\

mo65

I wish someone would correct the title of this thread..it's driving me nuts...LOL! My brother just bought a KastKing Rover 60. It looks, feels, and smells like an Abu Garcia 5600/6600 and sells for a very low price. Time will tell how she holds up. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

wcarah

A pretty good breakdown video of the Kast King Rover round casting reel is on the English PMR reel site.  There are two videos which show a surprisingly good design for these reels.  There are not as many bearings as is claimed in the advertising, but it's a solid reel based on the after-use teardown shown on the PMR video.  Check them out:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMr0Ko7q6RU and www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSXCmuNQAlk.

I recently got the Rover 40 size reel as a gift and it being a bit frozen around where I live, I have not yet had it on the water, but casting it with practice plugs using 30# braid, the action is very smooth and quiet.  The centrifugal brakes handle backlash well under a variety of lure weights, but I always use "educated thumb" control as well.  I believe it will make a good bass and northern pike reel combined with a medium action rod.  The Kast King Rover series are certainly of much better design than some of the imported Chinese "value" casting reels sold under major brand names.

Warren

Gobi King

I do not own any, but I read through some users who took time to test them over time. The bottom line was the metallurgy of the metal used to make them are more prone to corrosion/rust than comparable $$$$ counterparts. Saying that, Tanized Kingkast should give you some additional protection against these elements.

I will early wait on your long term use update!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Tiddlerbasher

Happy New Year guys and girls :)
I'm still 'loving' my KK Katmai fly reels - 2 Tanized 1 just greased - I've never tried their other reels.
These reels are well machined - the bearings are a standard size - minimal maintenace (after an initial proper service ;)) - can't think of anything I don't like, which makes a change :D

PS
There website aint listing em anymore - but if you can cut your own cf washers and source the necessary bearings (standard metric) you are still good to go - I like them :)

Lunker Larry

I just serviced the first one I've ever seen. Saw them advertised on Amazon but never took an interest. The reel I serviced was the white kastking baitcaster and I have to say I was impressed. The reel is a bass reel but was used for muskie fishing for a couple seasons. Used for large baits that it was never designed for, I expected all sorts of things to be worn. When I opened it up I was surprised to find it every bit as good as the small curados and daiwas. You can't beat it for the price. It had carbon fibre drag, quality metal where other reels of this sort have plastic, sufficient bearings, washers, etc. It was not cheaped out. The only issue I found was grooves wearing in the line guide. Based on just seeing one that was well tested, I'd say it is well worth the money. I know the owner loves it and hasn't had any issues with it at all.
I have no idea regarding parts support as none were needed. Cleaned it up and it feels like new.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Pro Reel

From what I understand, the company making them, makes several other brands for others also. It seems that there are a few major oversees companies that actually build most of the reels being sold under dozens of brands. I'm quite familiar with the reels coming from Korea often referred to as doyo fishing. That's supposed to be the company that builds all Lews, Abu Garcia, Pfluger, most bass pro shops reels, 13 fishing, and now even Penn reels. I'm not 100% sure about all of them but basically if Pure fishing owns the brand, then it's a Korean reel they're buying from Doyo. Lews and Bass pro also buy from Doyo but may also get some from Banax in China and who knows where else. From what IO understand, even Daiwa has started contracting some lower level reels with Doyo. It seems that Shimano and Daiwa and possibly Okuma may be the only brands still owning there own manufacturing facilities. Not sure about other brands.

Dominick

I bought a kingkrud a couple of years ago and it arrived with a bent handle.  I took the handle off and was able to straighten it out by hand.  The metal was so soft I could move it back and forth.  Needless to say I sent it back and complained about the substandard metal they were using.  It looks like they might have improved the parts.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Pro Reel on January 01, 2019, 05:10:23 PM
From what I understand, the company making them, makes several other brands for others also. It seems that there are a few major oversees companies that actually build most of the reels being sold under dozens of brands. I'm quite familiar with the reels coming from Korea often referred to as doyo fishing. That's supposed to be the company that builds all Lews, Abu Garcia, Pfluger, most bass pro shops reels, 13 fishing, and now even Penn reels. I'm not 100% sure about all of them but basically if Pure fishing owns the brand, then it's a Korean reel they're buying from Doyo. Lews and Bass pro also buy from Doyo but may also get some from Banax in China and who knows where else. From what IO understand, even Daiwa has started contracting some lower level reels with Doyo. It seems that Shimano and Daiwa and possibly Okuma may be the only brands still owning there own manufacturing facilities. Not sure about other brands.

Kastking is just a rebranded chinese OEM reel. Its not even necessarily original designs being made by a chinese manufacturer.  I cant think of any situation where their reels would be worth recommending.