stainless steel gear sleeves - penn squidders, jigmasters, and smaller senators

Started by alantani, December 19, 2008, 05:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Quote from: alantani on October 23, 2014, 05:20:49 AM
the top thread on some of them got bent down a little.  if you force the star, you can "chase" the threads and it will work.  sorry for the hassle, you have one the few remaining gear sleeves left.  i can't get anyone locally to make them for me anymore.  i am last on everyone's list or priorities.   :-\

How long to you expect the drought to last (if there is one)?  I may need to pick up a few sleeves from you.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

not sure.  i have two guys locally and one guy overseas.  just my luck they'll all come up with orders all at the same time!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

pigway

pigway

franky

Hello Alan,

Do you still have the fine thread Star 10-505 and fine tooth stainless gearsleeve 98-505 for a high speed jigmaster?

alantani

yup, got a bunch!  send me a pm and i will send a paypal request and get them shipped out.  thanks!  alan

Mic

All right now, let's all keep in mind that I'm still learning here. I read all 11 pages of this post and fill I can now properly ask my questions. Maybe ?

I have up graded 4 of my Penn 210's that have the 10-505 gear sleeve and star drag with the 6+1 Bryan Young drag stack and 2 of Alan's Power handles. Then I read this;
  "i only recommend a stainless steel gear sleeve if you INTEND to exceed 8 pounds of drag."
The 6+1 drag stack exceeds 8 pounds by double. Now I need to rethink my plan.

With the 10-505 fine thread sleeve, do I need to upgrade to the SS for the Sleeve, Main Gear, Pinion and Yoke ?
Are these available yet ?
My next question is, will the bridge assembly hold ?

Thanks for all of yawls information. I have sure learned a lot for you all~!

Mic

Rancanfish

Well it can be confusing, however,  Alan just told me he is out of the fine thread gear sleeve. He does have lots of the coarse thread, which means switching stars.

But I think I'd fish the heck out of them until something fails,  then upgrade. 

(I do not follow my own advice, lol).  Seriously though, I have never had a Penn reel fail on me, ever.  Keep in mind I only fish Salmon, Butts, Rockfish, Lingcod and the occasional Shark outing, where we catch 20lb sharks max.  The Mud Marlin stress the reel more.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

alantani

i sent the entire batch of 98-505 stainless steel gear sleeves to mysticparts.com.  i have to order more, but each order is now $4k.  it's getting harder to do.   :-\

Fishit 2

President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

Hillbillyman

Hi Alan ! By chance do you have any more stainless gear sleeves for 140 Squidders ? Thanks for keeping this site up , it's a godsend to reel tinkerers the world over ...  :)
The more dogs I meet the less people I like ...
Time spend fishing is not subtracted from a persons lifespan ...

alantani

the 98-155's are all gone.  check with mysticparts.com or smoothdrag.com.  

Hillbillyman

The more dogs I meet the less people I like ...
Time spend fishing is not subtracted from a persons lifespan ...

Yogi_fish808

Alan do you have any more 98-60 coarse thread sleeves? Just replaced my friends rounded off stock brass one on his 300C Yellowfin but it'll probably happen again without an SS piece....

spaartekkies

Hi Alan. How much would shipping to South Africa add to the price of a course thread ss sleeve for the 500?