Mitchell 302

Started by Bill B, October 19, 2015, 04:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

I have an open ended question.....what would you spool a Mitchell 302 with, figuring I will be throwing 1-2 oz lures on a 8' rod, for salmon and stripers here in the Sacramento Delta....salmon running about 15 lbs and stripers about 8 lbs....I'm thinking 15 lb mono...what are your thoughts.....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Aiala

I usually fill my 402 (same reel, just high-speed) with 20 or 25 for offshore fishing, but 15 sounds right for your lure weights. Have you ever test-driven a 306/406? They're great reels too, strong, and just a bit smaller.   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

thorhammer

I have several 302's and 306's (As Aiala pointed out) that I use on 9' and 10' sticks for stripers in the size you indicate; all have 15lb mono and a shock leader...plenty adequate. My recco is to look at the tutorial on AT to service the drags; I THINK we use Beachmaster drags for the 302 (greased) which will be a nice upgrade from the 40 yo stock ones. If you are plugging, highly recommend the longer 402 coffee grinder handle over stock 302 torpedo. JMO

J

Bill B

Thanks for the input....just so happens I have a spool of 15 lb on the shelf...the 302 and 300 and a throw back to fishing with my dad....we used both types extensively and I caught my first salmon on a 300 with 10 lb test on the Smith River....I look forward to using this 302 and have been using a couple 300's for a while....I have always loved the sound they make....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

302s & 402s are really strong reels --

Side-plates attach to both sides through frame taps -- makes for easier access and a stronger base frame -- with a better center-line drive train.

Yours looks pretty good, Bill.  Most I see, if used -- have a fair amount of salt, boat, or pier rash, or way too much grease inside.

Because Mitchell put that big red grease access port on the side that you can open with a nickel -- many folks think you can just pump it full of axle grease -- then let the grease do the service for you -- doesn't work that way.

Extra greasing helps on all interior surfaces, mating edges before assembly, and every screw when assembling -- then a light wash down with fresh water.

Oil on all of the exterior moving parts like the bail trip lever and crank knob, etc..

I know you use these primarily in fresh or semi fresh water -- but as a rule most folks use these in the salt.

Keep them cleaned out completely, and serviced every year-- and your kid will use them.

Cal's greased CFs are the best drags for these.

Good surf casting reels also.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

Quote from: thorhammer on October 19, 2015, 03:06:51 PM
If you are plugging, highly recommend the longer 402 coffee grinder handle over stock 302 torpedo.

Agreed! I did exactly that, not just for the extra-long shank, but also because I don't much care for the stock round 402 knob. I got this, and it works like a charm:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NOS-Garcia-Mitchell-402-486-496-High-Speed-Fishing-Reel-Handle-w-long-shank-/121506856956?hash=item1c4a5f7ffc:m:mHB82_hry2gm9JFh8oBHEVw

Good luck fishing!   ;)

~A~

tristan

You ought to be able to cast that well with some supple mono in the 15lb test range.   

I'm keeping my eyes open for a 402 or 406, would like to try one out on a 9.5' glass rod I've restored.    Old school for sure!

Aiala

Quote from: tristan on November 21, 2015, 06:57:17 PM
I'm keeping my eyes open for a 402 or 406, would like to try one out on a 9.5' glass rod I've restored. Old school for sure!

I absolutely love these superb venerable classics... either one would match up perfectly with your old-school rod!   ;)

~A~

thorhammer

Nice reels, well attired in Ande Premium pink! Classic for sure!

tristan

Quote from: Aiala on November 25, 2015, 04:18:25 PM
Quote from: tristan on November 21, 2015, 06:57:17 PM
I'm keeping my eyes open for a 402 or 406, would like to try one out on a 9.5' glass rod I've restored. Old school for sure!

I absolutely love these superb venerable classics... either one would match up perfectly with your old-school rod!   ;)

~A~

Alia, where do you get all the wonderful toys??    lol

Those are a couple beauties.   Almost too pretty to fish.   Almost.   :)

The 402 is on the left, and is that a 406 on the right?

I've got a Mitchell kinda-clone finished, a "Game Fisher 8500", made by Olympic I believe which is standing in till the real thing comes along.   Not a bad reel in it's own right, just obscure and rarely seen.

Aiala

Quote from: tristan on November 27, 2015, 06:21:26 PM
Aiala, where do you get all the wonderful toys??    lol
Those are a couple beauties. Almost too pretty to fish. Almost.   :)
The 402 is on the left, and is that a 406 on the right?
I've got a Mitchell kinda-clone finished, a "Game Fisher 8500", made by Olympic I believe which is standing in till the real thing comes along. Not a bad reel in its own right, just obscure and rarely seen.

Tristan, I mostly buy used reels on eBay. (I've set up automatic e-mail notices for when something desirable comes along, via "Saved Searches".) Then, to repair/bling them up, I purchase aftermarket gear from Scott's, Tiburon, Berinson, and of course all of the pro AT tacklemasters.   :)

Yes, my 402 is on the left, 406 on the right. They both show up on eBay fairly often, so you shouldn't have a problem acquiring one. Good luck!   ;)

~A~

fishhawk

Quote from: Aiala on October 19, 2015, 05:06:32 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on October 19, 2015, 03:06:51 PM
If you are plugging, highly recommend the longer 402 coffee grinder handle over stock 302 torpedo.

Agreed! I did exactly that, not just for the extra-long shank, but also because I don't much care for the stock round 402 knob. I got this, and it works like a charm:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NOS-Garcia-Mitchell-402-486-496-High-Speed-Fishing-Reel-Handle-w-long-shank-/121506856956?hash=item1c4a5f7ffc:m:mHB82_hry2gm9JFh8oBHEVw

Good luck fishing!   ;
Aiala will this handle fit the 306?

fishhawk

Thanx Aiala! Yea. I think I would like a coffee grinder handle on my 306 but not sure if they would fit, description doesnt say anything about it.  Reckon I'll ask the seller.

Bryan Young

So I have 3 or 4 or these reels on my bench.  I cleaned off all of the caked on grease and now the reels run rough, but the anti-reverse now works.  I will need to practice the art of shimming to keep the gears in alignment due to wear and lack of caked on hard or sticky grease.  Simple reels but this is providing me the greatest challenge.  ARG
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D