Main Menu

More Plugs!!!!

Started by STRIPER LOU, October 20, 2015, 10:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Just finishing up an order for Adam F. The top plug is the old reliable Slope Head Swimmer. Great plug and caught fish every single time used this season! Fooling around with the position of the weights really made this plug come alive.
The two lower plugs are from a new turner I'm trying out. They are very similar in style to the monster plug I've been using but on a smaller scale. Quality seems to be very good, weight is consistent, and overall look really great after the 10 step finishing process. Still trying to come up with ways to make these available on a larger scale than I'm able to do now.
If I were to pick 3 colors to have in my tackle box these would be the ones. If I fished strictly nights I would probably add a purple/black to the pile.
What do you all think ?

swill88

Very Nice!  What kind of wood?

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

STRIPER LOU

Tightlines667

Those are some good looking plugs.  Gotta love the wood ones. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Three se7ens

Looks fantastic!  I can't wait to try them out.

broadway

They look sweet, Lou!
Do you tie your own bucktail hooks? You do it like the pros... mine is a bit bunched up from doing too many wraps around the hair.  I always feel like the hair is gonna come out if I don't wrap it more.
Looking forward to hearing the results from Adam putting them to the test.
Thanks,
Dom

theswimmer

Really nice stuff Lou.
Until you start building pieces you don't really understand the time involved.
Your efforts show thru in the finished product.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

STRIPER LOU

Thanks all!
Dom, I do make all my own bucktails. Most season's I tie 3 to 4 hundred and are sold locally. Some of the boys on the forum here use them. As far a the wraps go, make sure you pull somewhat tight enough on the thread for the first few turns just enough to make the hair stand up just a little. Make several more light wraps and add thinned head cement so it sinks in. Then add more and tighter wraps until you get the shape you want. Its important to use the thinned head cement!
As for the plugs, I think Adam will be happy with them. I've been building and fishing them for years and this year even though not my best year I still caught over a couple hundred bass on them. One 50, a bunch of 30's and 40's. On many occasions I'm able to out fish the guys using pogies. I cant remember the last time I fished live bait.
I also tie some huge bunker bucktails. They're around 10 to 12" long. I'll take one of my monster plugs and remove the back hook, then a length of 60lb fluro is added and the bunker fly on the end. On a shorter leader the plug will impart more action to the fly and obviously on a longer leader less action so its very easy to tailor the action to match the conditions. I also soak the bucktail in bunker oil overnight and this setup is killer. I've even caught double headers on it! I'll post more pics when I get a chance.
..................Lou

Dominick

Lou What do you call the hair on the bucktails and where do you buy it?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bluefish69

Dominick

I buy mine at Jon Barlow.com    They are in Texas, just ask for a catalog it comes fast.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

broadway

Dominick, it's called bucktail hair.  Saltwater edge.com has a good quality and nice color selection. That's pretty much all I use now.
I use the kevlar thread for the saltwater and find it works well.
Lou, ties them like a pro... far better than I, but I get by.
Dom

STRIPER LOU

Dominick, I do use a lot of bucktail hair and probably even more synthetic and that's probably what your asking about? The synthetic's do not absorb water, and are very easy to mix colors and tie with. Its available online from Flytyers Dungeon and its called Congo Hair.
Its quite reasonable and I like the fact that it can be easily trimmed and shaped.
I tie a lot of large and broad bucktails to simulate bunker patterns and found this stuff to be the best! Some season's I'll use over a hundred packages.
................Lou

PS...  Forgot to mention I also use Super Jumbo Braid available on ebay. Its for hair extensions. Super cheap, large quantity, lots of colors, and great for tying bulky flies.

Dominick

Thanks for all your responses.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Capt Ahab

Great looking stuff

Need a test caster :) ?