Reel deal Newell

Started by thorhammer, October 22, 2015, 01:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

I'd say 99% of folks in NC don't know what a Newell is, and I'm think I only recall one shop selling them. I'm not in the business of collecting them, but even I know when to spend $20 at a flea market:

thorhammer

Cleaned and lined, works perfectly. Decided to park it for now ole-skool on a honeygold Tiger I picked up for $10; rewrapped with Pac Bays I had laying around in Trimar thread. Total cost $45.

conchydong

You could be arrested for "stealing" ;D. What a find. Congratulations.

thorhammer

Thanks! That was a couple years back. I love a deal.

Anyone know of potential upgrades for a 5 series? Frame, etc.? I'd love a couple of 229's; maybe one day I'll fall down on some.

Newell Nut

That is a great find. It is already SS inside with double dogs. You could put Bryan's 5 stack drag system in it. Use .030 delrin on bottom and .020 delrin on top of the stack. Put a Ulua Junkies modified Torium handle on it. You could max it out with a Tiburon frame. A buddy of mine had that exact same reel stolen from him last month over in Orlando. Some pawn shop probably has it now for $50.

thorhammer

Thanks, Dwight! Yeah, I used it grouper fishing once and found the handle lacking for that with a lb of lead in 150 ft and a fish on. Gonna start looking.