NEWELL CONVERSION

Started by RUSTY OLD COLT, October 24, 2015, 04:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RUSTY OLD COLT

I recently picked up 2 newell 229 reels and would like to convert 1 to a 220 size . What parts would be needed besides the spool and crossbar / reelstand  assemblies and what upgrades do you guys suggest ?

vilters

all that is needed is spool, bars and base. minimum upgrade would include carbon fiber drag discs, or even better a 5 stack carbon drag system by bryan young - I HIGHLY recommend his drag kits! upgrade handle is also a nice mod. from there you can add alan chui's upgrade bars or Tiburon frame, stainless gear sleeve and dog, but those aren't necessary. I would also make sure the bearings are in good shape, as newell bearings have a high mortality rate and upgrade bearings are also available, but not necessary. have fun, those are well built, powerful  little reels that cast extremely well.

Newell Nut

May be a lot easier to just sell one and buy and clean 220. Just did a quick look on ebay and one base was there and nothing else. A spool may be the biggest challenge so sell a 229 and buy a 220. Less headache that way.