handle upgrades - please read this first

Started by alantani, December 19, 2008, 07:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmasturgeon

I really like those handle Alan; I will have to call you to get them put on both my BX 400 & BX2 500.

marcos12

HI MR.TANI I HAVE ONE OLD PENN INTERNATIONAL 80 I WANT UPGRADE HANDLE WHAT OPTION IS BETTER

alantani

the 6/0 grip is the one that i would use.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Inspiro

I have 2 question a bit off topic but related:
1- is the handle arm on senators 0/4,0/6 & 0/9 of the same length and are they interchangeable?
2-For targetting big  bottom fish like groupers(up to 60 lb) I was considering using a senator 0/6 with locked down drag due to the 2:1 gear ratio, if a longer handle arm is used, I belive this will provide more torque, is this worth trying? where can I find them?
3- How much lifting power can the above reel lift without using the rod, I rememeber someone in this forum doing teh same test fro an Okuma MAkaira 10, can teh senator beat the power of Makaira?

Thanks
Inspiro

alantani

the drag ranges of the makaira 10 and the penn senator 114 are probably very close, but the makaira will be much easier to crank in low gear.  the difference between the makaira and the senator is probably the same as the difference between 60 pound spectra and 60 pound mono!  a 60 pound grouper would have a better chance against mono because of the stretch.  a 6/0 grip with a stock penn arm should be fine. 

eldoradoman

Hi Alan.  Are the prices still the same on the handles, $26, $30, $36?  I'm putting together an order for you and want to verify the prices first before I send a check.

BTW.  Great to meet you at the Fred Hall show!

Cman67

Alan, I have a Okuma EB-50 reel and need to replace the handle ball as it's too small to exert the kind of force I need to deal with the Bluefish here in the East Coast. Which size would I need and could you give me some idea of what the turn around time would be?

I live in PA.

alantani

the spinner handle grip would work better here because the spindle is a narrow diameter.  send me a pm with your address and i willl mail it right out. when it arrives, send a check.  alternatively, send me the handle and i can drill it out for you.  may as well include a check at that time.  drilling takes 2 minutes. 

Cman67

What size will I need for optimum performance for the Okuma EB50?

sewwhat89

What handle would you recommend for Abu Alphamar 12?  The 4/0 looks like it would match up best.  I can send you the handle and how many USD?

While I'm at it, what about on a Penn Torque 200?

Bryan Young

Quote from: sewwhat89 on June 29, 2012, 04:44:46 PMWhat handle would you recommend for Abu Alphamar 12?  The 4/0 looks like it would match up best.  I can send you the handle and how many USD?

Since the reel is fairly small, I'd recommed the 2/0 or spinner

Quote from: sewwhat89 on June 29, 2012, 04:44:46 PMWhile I'm at it, what about on a Penn Torque 200?

4/0 or 6/0.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

sewwhat89

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 29, 2012, 08:16:46 PM
Quote from: sewwhat89 on June 29, 2012, 04:44:46 PMWhat handle would you recommend for Abu Alphamar 12?  The 4/0 looks like it would match up best.  I can send you the handle and how many USD?

Since the reel is fairly small, I'd recommed the 2/0 or spinner

Quote from: sewwhat89 on June 29, 2012, 04:44:46 PMWhile I'm at it, what about on a Penn Torque 200?

4/0 or 6/0.

I skipped over the spinner handle.  That looks like the cat's meow!

usncporet

I received Alans 4/0 handle upgrade and was able to try it out on a 3/4 day rockfish trip on the 3rd. It was for my SHimano TLD Star 20/40 and it makes all the difference in the world! Now I just need to learn what to use on the other end of the line to help me catch those big rock and Ling cod! Thanks Alan!

alantani

Cman67

Received my upgraded handle today. Thanks Alan for the quality work and fast turn around. I can't wait to tangle with some 10# plus Blues with this new setup. I wonder why Okuma doesn't recognize this short coming with their EB series baitrunner. Would make their product that much better with a true SW larger knob on the handle.