handle upgrades - please read this first

Started by alantani, December 19, 2008, 07:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

No worries Joe. We were all new at one point. Send Alan a pm or email with your name, address and what you want. He'll drop it in the mail with an invoice. Can't beat that for service. :) :)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

Joe, what do you want?  The 6/0 or 5/0 handles?  And how many? I could ship it out with the wrench.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Alan,
Do you have SS arms for a 114H? :)
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Bryan Young

No we are not.  This is the next item on the wish list for Alan.

edgarz

Hello Alan, is there a Shimano Talica II arm and handle upgrade in your shop? They're very good reels but the handle arm is quite short. Thanks

LTM

Guys and gals, HELP ME!

Atempting to drill out old grips and replace with Kolekar grips. Man, I'm having a heck of a time doing this. My Harbor Freight drill bits do very little against some of this steel (my good bits are somewhere in storage w/the rest of my shop tools). My Dremel tool is doing most of the "heavy lifting/grinding".  Currently Im trying to drill out the grip handle on my Avet SX and Im getting no-where-fast. im using a hand drill (drill press in storage) which was doing the job until I ran into this Avet. I believe the problem lies with these HF drill bits, so off to the hardware store to get a good bit, what type of bit should I get to drill out these grips from the handles?

Desperate,

Leo

Bryan Young

Hi Leo,

I use the narrow step bit.  Seems to work well.  I also spray lubricant, like WD-40 while drilling

Bryan

LTM

Thanx Bryan,

I have both and will try both.

Leo

LTM

Bryan,

Update: your suggestions worked like a charm. Will use the steped drill bits from now on, the cut on the bits seem to remove material more effeciently than my regular bits. Now my issue is the length of the screw for the Kolekar grips seems a bit too short only a couple of threads to screw into the handle due to the extra material Avet has on the grip end of the handle.  So I'll have to find a longer screw or grind the extra material flat with the rest of the handle so I have more threads to screw into the grip.  Also of thinking of shiming the hole to support/stabalize the screw with some type of small diameter tubing from the hardware store.  Im thinknig copper tubing will be more available but dont know if it will hold up to sleeve the grip screw, any suggestions guys? Does Alan have longer screws for these instances where one is needed?  Lastly, Alan has greased the screw hole and Im thinking of applying semi-permanent thread locker such as blue Locktite to secure the screw to the handle. To add thread locker I'll need to remove the grease and Im concerned about corrosion if I do that, any suggestions to my questions?

Thanx again,

Leo

Bryan Young

Glad it worked out Leo,

Alan does have some longer screws.  Unfortunately, Alan has new inventor of the handles, gear sleeves, and tiburon frames and I cannot find anything at the moment.  It may be possible for you to find another SS screw from Ace Hardware.  They seem to have a bunch of SS screws that other places doesn't have.

Regarding the loctite.  I just added a drop on my screws.  Loctite chemically reacts with the metal, so when metal to metal contact occurs due to the stretching of the screw, the loctite bonds even with grease.

Bryan

casamiller

Is it necessary to use a drill to remove the original rubber knob on an Accurate DPX2 real?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BobbyC

Do you still have the 6/0 handles currently in stock?? I need 2 of those.