Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Yep, that's what I've been doing, buying junk reels for replacement.

I'll take the plastic spool, Decker, if you can find it.  Will save me more looking because I also need spools for two other models besides the Surfmaster. I'll gladly pay postage plus send a contribution by Paypal or money order.  I am accumulating a quantity of Penn parts so maybe I'll have something you need in the future.

Matter of fact I have a Penn 350 with a metal spool, it isn't the chrome or brass, not sure.

festus

Thanks out to Joe (Decker) for sending me a 29-155 spool to replace the plastic one I broke last week.  Thought I was going to have a problem because it wouldn't jive with my Surfmaster 200.  It fit, but after reassembly the handles would hang up at the 2:00 o'clock position.  Easy to solve that problem, I took the spool from my Beachmaster 155 and put it in the Surfmaster and it worked perfectly.  Then I put the 29-155 spool from Joe in my Beachmaster and it worked fine.

I didn't care for the chrome over brass spool that came with my Jigmaster 500S last week so I ordered an old salt crusted Jigmaster on the cheap and got it in the mail yesterday.  Swapped out the lighter aluminum spool from the junk reel into my 500S and am very happy with the results.

BTW, what kind of line is this on my Beachmaster?  I put this reel on a 6-1/2' Heavy action BBBG rod and it casts very well, but this line will sure take the hide from your thumb.  :o

basto

Looks like braided linen. Thats what came on my 155.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

George6308

Looks more like 18 lb test sand colored braided nylon squiding line.

Gfish

If it's braided linen, it's probably some "vintage" stuff. Been lookin for some a that for me & my son's vintage rigs. Me, a Montague "Stone Harbor" split bamboo-"Geniune Tonkin"- a region in China I think, with famously good bamboo) boat rod with a LB 65 Deluxe reel, and him a  Montague ? split bamboo boat rod witha LB 60. If you wanna get rida that hide remover line( that is, if it's linen) lemme know via PM.
A close-up photo. maybe?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

festus

I showed the line to my wife and she says it's linen.  She should know, she is an expert on fibers, spinning, weaving, etc, used to raise sheep, alpacas, and llamas.  Whatever it is, I've never seen any 'round these parts.  Gfish, I got strict orders if I ever take it off the reel, she wants it.  :-\

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

I've never seen braided linen and would have guessed nylon squidding line too.  It's easy enough to tell though.  Just burn the end.  A hard plastic glob means nylon.  An ash that you can flick away means linen or silk.  If it stretches it's nylon.  If it doesn't stretch it's dacron, linen or silk.

Gfish, they stopped making natural fiber fishing line about seventy years ago.  Getting natural fiber to keep it's strength that long requires some really good preservation.  The line would need to be stored better than most WWII uniforms were.  Some of the line you find being passed around on old reels will break at about half the original strength, and some is worse.  Braided nylon squidding line would be period appropriate for a rod and reel post-1937.  There were a lot of split bamboo rods being built then.  The LB are probably post-1937.

If you are going to fish with those rigs, you can buy new braided nylon squidding that is just like the original.  It's made the same way.  Mason Tackle has it.

If the rigs are for display only, I can send you enough twisted Cuttyhunk linen for a top shot that will cover the backing.  I don't have enough to fill a reel though.
-steve

Swami805

Gfish, check your email, I have a spool, yours if you want it, PM your address and I'll sent it
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Festus, note leveline 350, 200, 155 spools are interchangeable, as are a lot of  the internals.

Reel 224

This is a 60 long Beach just as I found it.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Decker

Joe, I like that Long Beach, especially with a SS spool.  Yours will clean up very nicely.  Mine is a later version and has SS posts and base as well.    http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15800.msg277070#msg277070 Those 60s are little tanks, and I wish we could find a way to get them to a higher gear ratio than 2.5:1  :)

Reel 224

Quote from: Decker on April 18, 2018, 02:09:01 PM
Joe, I like that Long Beach, especially with a SS spool.  Yours will clean up very nicely.  Mine is a later version and has SS posts and base as well.    http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=15800.msg277070#msg277070 Those 60s are little tanks, and I wish we could find a way to get them to a higher gear ratio than 2.5:1  :)

Joe: I cleaned that reel up a wile ago, It out great. I'm sure that a gear can be found to bring the ratio up just got to experiment with gears that are made by Penn. I have so much work to do on other reels and rods that I can't take time out right now to mess around with that.

Our boat is coming next week and it needs work on the motor so that will take a lot of time, we want to get in the water this season if not next. I don't want to be stuck on shore fishing any longer then we have too. I am going to try to go Black Drum fishing with my friend this month also. That's when the 112H will get a workout. ;D

Joe-two 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

54bullseye

Here is one just the way I found it ! A buy now on ebay for $450 with only two pictures %^*^%^&*  A little greener than I thought but it's a neat old Harnell rod with it and a good story. The lady I bought it from said her husband who passed away not to long ago used it in the 70s for Giant Tuna off the coast of Portsmouth NH. And that he used to do very well with it !!!  Sat up in garage rafters since then. So the rod has some fish under it's belt. The clean up will be a fun project but I am gonna keep my hopes low on great results !  LOL !!!!  Will post after pictures when done here it is now.       John Taylor     PS even my dog said what the ????????????

Decker

A beauty!  What size Senator is that?  I just saw something similar and posted information in the For Sale forum.