Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

That's a nice Surfmaster.  Old, good condition, and a cool speckled spool.
-steve

swill88

Quote from: 54bullseye on April 22, 2018, 09:10:37 PM
Nice looking 6/0 Steve .  I like the Penn Reel Fishing Adventure Contest ! Are you tearing that one down for the narrow kit ??  John Taylor

Thanks John... it was my plan to use this reel with the narrow frame and spool but, after the comments from you knowledgeable collectors, maybe I should keep this one original and pristine. I've got another one, a maroon model that has already seen some action but the plates are nice. Rings aren't too nice.. It has a Newell stand (with a clamp now thanks to Randy) and a Newell spool. So I need another one???

Am I on the right path?

Steve

Shark Hunter

Yes you are Steve.
That is a very nice Surfmaster.
I would leave it as is.
The rings are hard to find in good shape on a cheap Surfmaster, Beachmaster or Monofil.
I would pick another candidate for narrowing. JMO
Life is Good!

festus

Picked up this old Squidder 140 for a parts reel for eight bucks.  Other than being very stiff to crank, everything worked, including the lever to kick it out of anti-reverse.  I took it apart, everything was there, but had a hard time getting out one old rusty post screw that had been replaced with one twice the length as the original.

I had intended to bag this up for parts, but since everything is here, maybe I'll clean the exterior up some more and put her back together and use it.

BTW, that leather piece to save thumb hide was made by Pflueger.

thorhammer

Nice. Thatll be more than parts reel when you are done!

mo65

Quote from: festus on April 25, 2018, 09:29:01 PM
Picked up this old Squidder 140 for a parts reel for eight bucks. 

Just the main gear alone is worth the eight bucks...all the rest is more icing on the cake. If you can polish up the side plates, all the rest can be replaced with better chrome if needed. I was thinking, for your style fishing(pretty much same as mine), you could slap those side plates on a Tiburon P16 frame(Squidder 146 width), get a spool, and have a great catfish/striper reel. Whatever you do with it, that's a good buy. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Quote from: mo65 on April 26, 2018, 03:07:02 AM
Quote from: festus on April 25, 2018, 09:29:01 PM
Picked up this old Squidder 140 for a parts reel for eight bucks. 

Just the main gear alone is worth the eight bucks...all the rest is more icing on the cake. If you can polish up the side plates, all the rest can be replaced with better chrome if needed. I was thinking, for your style fishing(pretty much same as mine), you could slap those side plates on a Tiburon P16 frame(Squidder 146 width), get a spool, and have a great catfish/striper reel. Whatever you do with it, that's a good buy. 8)
Under a strong magnifying glass those gears look fine.  I like to keep stuff stock, but admit I have been checking out lots of these modification posts.  Does anybody make a frame in orange?  8)

Swami805

Never seen orange but who knows? I think Pro Challenger is fixing to make a run of aluminum spools, he did orange for the 501 spools, Might do orange for the 146. Would be nice if someone made a faster gear for that reel. Nice score for that kind of money,about a cup of coffee and a danish.
Cortez Conversions 146 kit if you want to go to hog wild, newell aluminum parts work well too. Lots of options or just clean it up and fish it as it is, really can't go wrong with that reel.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

festus

I'm beginning to like these small Penns.  Beachmaster, Squidder, and Surfmaster especially.  Never really considered a Jigmaster a small reel, and haven't gotten around to spooling line on my newly acquired 500S.

Before I joined this group last August, I only had four Penns.  An old  Sea Mate 79, a couple of old Peerless 9m and a Long Beach 68. Never really cared for the non-level wind reels until recently, was pretty much an Abu purist.  But Penns can be had for a fraction of an Abu.

Last week was the first time I'd tried casting the Beachmaster 155 and Surfmaster 200.  I was impressed by both, especially the lowly Beachmaster.

So I decided to get one of the even smaller reels, a Beachmaster 160.  The seller said this reel had been serviced last fall, and was about a scale of 5 on cosmetics and an 8 or 9 on mechanics.   He was correct.  I removed the tail plate and it was very clean inside. I don't care that much about looks, this reel will be used for fishing.  All it needed was a wipedown on the outside.

Next week I should also get a Baymaster 180 in the mail.  Maybe I'm getting one of those minor mental issues?   ::)

wailua boy

Coincidentally, I just received a baymaster 180 today, not bad for $13.

Bill B

Festus, by the time you realize you may have a problem, it's too late.  Embrace the Darkside, you are among friends 🤣. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on April 29, 2018, 12:51:59 AM
Festus, by the time you realize you may have a problem, it's too late.  Embrace the Darkside, you are among friends 🤣. Bill

Yep...what Bill said...and that 160 beachmaster rocks. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Lose 160's are nice small reels, I use reels that size for 20lb mono for hailbut fishing. I put a big 29-49 handle (if I'm not mistaken about this one) on them for more power since mostly I'm casting a short distance under the pier and the added power from the handle length is helpful to put  the wood to them and keep them out of the pilings. I also use a soft 10'12' rod to cast under handed. Not for everyone but that long handle comes in handy in some applications.
If you're looking for a shelfy they pop up with the old boxes pretty regular and the prices on them are pretty reasonable too.
Cool little reel, nice score, blue handle to boot.

Swami805

Another late night eBay genius move. A whopping $20 shipped and got it today. This is exactly as it came penn 150. No prts numbers but just a lttlte bit of tlc right?  Guy swears everything is there and it has a stell gear. Be gone for the weekend so I'll see what I can do next week

Swami805