Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Picked up this 150yd Newport last week. It arrived today.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

1badf350

Has the drive side bearing kinda molded in

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Maxed Out

Great find in any condition. That one is fantastic condition.

No set screw hole for scalloped nut, built in bushing and what hex shape am I seeing under the blade ??  Some kind of thick washer under the blade also ??

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

1badf350

I know Ted crazy! 1938 is the only year it was pictured with a scalloped nut. No set screw in the pic. That hex shape under the blade is threaded into the sideplate. The main gear shaft passes thru it.
-Chris

Darin Crofton

That's a great find, I don't know much about old Penns, but am fascinated by them.
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Benni3

That is a great find,,,the newport's don't go on ebay that much anymore and that one is in great shape  ;D

Bill B

Chris that reel isn't worthy of your collection.....just send it to me and I will dispose of it......in my cabinet  ;D. Beautiful reel brother.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

broadway

Monster score! Well done, Chris!
Rare find indeed and in that condition?! :o
Dom

oc1

Beautiful reel Chris.  The wear on the knob belies the overall condition.  Wonder if someone enthusiast did a restoration job on it or if the owner just took good care of his stuff.
-steve

1badf350

Thanks guys!
Steve I would hope that a reel enthusiast would have known better than to stick it on eBay with a $32 price tag.  ;D
-Chris

Tiddlerbasher

The condition of that oldy is fantastic - great score brother :)

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

broadway

I don't believe this reel was restored but if it was he did a heck of a good job.   More likely, used very little, display/sample reel possible, if used most likely freshwater, and by the tail plate bushing I would say it was rubbing on something or was used off another reel. The shine in the plates (though we can shine them up) looks to be original also. The black paint on the handles wore very easily so I would say, freshwater, used very little, not let to sit with line on it, and the owner took care of his things.
I still say CHA-Ching!
Best
Dom

Donnyboat

Great find Chris, could`nt happen to a nicer bloke, your always so helpful on this forum, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Penn Chronology

QuotePicked up this 150yd Newport last week. It arrived today.

In my opinion you have quite a rare reel there. I would say it is a 1940 Newport. In 1940, the Newport was only made in the 150 yard version and it shared page space with the Penn 14. I suspect your Newport is built off a Penn 14 side plate style, of course in a slightly smaller diameter. In 1941 the Newport was gone, basically replaced by the Model 14 that it shared a page with in 1940. I attached the Newport / Penn 14 on page 16 of the Penn 1940 catalog.

This 1940 Newport is a very special reel, in my opinion.

Another quirky things about the handle nut in the catalog renditions is that the scalloped nut is shown in the 1938 catalog but goes back to the old style hex nut in the 1939 & 40 catalog. That was done in the catalog drawing but in reality, Penn probably continued putting the scalloped nut on the Newport or maybe even some Newports left the factory with the straight slotted screw used on the Penn 14.

The only Penn Rule is, ""There are no rules"".............<:O)