Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

AC,

I'm no reel geek, but a Jigmaster 501 (narrow) is the same as a Jigmaster 500, except for the width of the bars (or posts), stand, and spool.   My understanding is that Penn sold conversion kits so that 500 owners could convert their reel to a 501..  There are many 501-width reels with 500 sideplates.   This site is chock-full of information on Jigmaster repairs and upgrades!

/Joe

sdlehr

Quote from: AC49 on May 24, 2017, 03:09:42 PM
As per reel schematics the "Fine tooth star drag, older reels take a 10-60".
Any info would be greatly appreciated.two

Regards AC49
Not sure what you're asking, but there were two gear sleeve/star combinations, the coarse thread and the fine thread. The only difference between the two is how many turns of the star are needed to change drag adjustment, the fine tooth requiring more...

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

QuoteMy understanding is that Penn sold conversion kits so that 500 owners could convert their reel to a 501..

I do not believe so. The Model 501 is introduced in 1965 in Catalog #27 as a new model, not a kit. Because they are simply a narrowed Model 500, having 501 bars, spool and stand will enable you to convert a Model 500 to a 501 frame; but, the reel will not have the correct logo on the head plate ruining its collector value. When ever you are buying one used, you should check to see if it is an original 501 or a converted 500. Converted reels sell for less than originals.

Gfish

The 10-60 drag star. I thought that'ed be the part number for the coarse thread star found on the older ones. Or, is the part # the same for both coarse and fine thread, and you just name it as one or the other?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

AC49

Thanks for all the feedback.

What I'm trying to determine is whether there was ever a Penn 500 narrow spool version with a narrow Bakelite spool of about 1.7 inches ?
Or do I have a Penn 500 with 501 stand and 501 posts 37-180 ?

Penn Chronology

What I'm trying to determine is whether there was ever a Penn 500 narrow spool version with a narrow Bakelite spool of about 1.7 inches ?
Or do I have a Penn 500 with 501 stand and 501 posts 37-180 ?

The first version of the Penn 501 was offered with a metal or a plastic spool. If your reel has 180 posts, with a narrow 1.7 spool but it has a logo reading 500, then you have a converted reel and that conversion was done outside of the factory.

QuoteInsert Quote

The 10-60 drag star. I thought that'ed be the part number for the coarse thread star found on the older ones. Or, is the part # the same for both coarse and fine thread, and you just name it as one or the other?
Gfish

Sleeve for a standard Penn 500 Jigmaster is a course thread #98-60 using a Penn Long Beach Star Wheel #10-60.

Sleeve for a High Speed Jigmaster 505 is a fine thread #98-505 using a 10-505 Star Wheel

These sleeves and wheels are interchangeable for any Jigmaster. I believe.

AC49

Thanks Mike for clearing that up.

Just checking other spools from a Penn 500A that I have and found that the spool is a 29-250 on the reel as well as the new spare spool in the box. Scott's Bait & Tackle only mention fitting the 250 and 259 model ??

Can a 29-250 spool originate from the Penn 500A ?

Regards
AC49

Shark Hunter

I believe that spool came from a Surfmaster 250. They are the same width, just different gearing.
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

Daron is correct. The spool originates with the Surfmaster 250, hence the Part Number. It will fit the Surfmaster 250, the Live Bait Caster 259 and a Jigmaster 500.

The 500A box is an Export model. The "A" stands for Africa. The Jigmaster's that were sent to South Africa were numbered 500A's; but, only on the box. The reels were plain Jigmaster 500's.

AC49

Thanks Daron and Mike.

So the 29-250 spool originates with the Surfmaster 250 but FITS the 259 and Jigmaster 500. Does this mean the 29-250 spool didn't ever come out standard with the Jigmaster 500. Reason I'm asking is that the box, reel, spare spool and catalog 26B from 1964 all "seem" original based on way everything was kept from the owner. I know this can be misleading sometimes ..... just asking ?

Appreciate the feedback.

AC49

Bill B

AC, to the best of my knowledge, the 250 and 259 both pre-date the 500 (the 259 was discontinued and the 500 was introduced)....therefore in keeping with Penn's penchant to keep things simple, they may have just continued making the 29-250 spool (and 29-250 markings) and putting them in the 500.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Benni3

I have been wanting one of these penn edsel reels for a long time $.99+4.26 shipping  ;D

Bill B

I'd take that all day long.....good pick brother....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Benni3

Penn Chronology

QuoteI have been wanting one of these penn edsel reels for a long time $.99+4.26 shipping  Grin

That's not the Penn Edsel, this is............... :D