Penn Reels - just as you find them

Started by Superhook, October 30, 2015, 10:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennesseeman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

oc1

What the heck.  Was that thing ever in the catalogs Mike?  Same time frame as the greenie spinfisher?
-steve

foakes

There are 3 or 4 of these at Penn Headquarters -- in their glass case.

I assume the others -- 410 & 430 are the other colors -- blue, red, and maybe gold?

Tony said these were very rare -- and high quality.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Benni3

Very nice,,,you don't see them floating around   :)

Penn Chronology

I just wrote an article for the Reel News about these reels. I call them the Un-Penn reels. They were a complicated partnership between Penn and Daiwa. not enough room here to explain the whole story. They were very high quality closed face spinning reels. They were made in the early sixties. The story about these reels reads like a Soap Opera. The four at the factory are the last ones in the hands of Penn, one of those factory reels is a special color. Basically it should not exist; but, you guys know Penn, they break the rules all the time.

Swami805

I think I might have a candidate for a penn Edsel. A 2 speed baitcaster with mag cast control flipping switch even has a window on the front to show the position of the line guide. Don't think this reel ever caught on, must be a ton of tiny parts inside, I'd imagine servicing it would be a chore. I haven't used it so I'm not sure how well it works, might have to give it a try.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

sdlehr

Quote from: Penn Chronology on May 27, 2017, 05:17:39 AM
I just wrote an article for the Reel News about these reels.
Looking forward to that issue, Mike! I'm about half way through "The History of the Fishing Reel", which for those that don't know is a selection of Reel News articles from the first 15 years of ORCA. If you're interested in fishing reel history and how the mechanics evolved over the years, this is a good very resource. It's available from Whitefish Press, the same publisher of Mike's Penn books.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

QuoteLooking forward to that issue, Mike! I'm about half way through "The History of the Fishing Reel", which for those that don't know is a selection of Reel News articles from the first 15 years of ORCA. If you're interested in fishing reel history and how the mechanics evolved over the years, this is a good very resource. It's available from Whitefish Press, the same publisher of Mike's Penn books.

My contribution to that work is from page 34 to 38, the restoration story of the Edward vom Hofe, Commander Ross 14/0, photos and actual restoration done by Ray Hodges. There is an endless amount of information in that book.

The Penn closed face spinning article will be in the Reel News Magazine, July issue. Loaded with new discovery information about that particular series of reels.

There just happens to be two of these reels for sale on EBay as we speak.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262959033245?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282476592263?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

These do not come up for sale that often.

Benni3

I meet this guy last year who rebuilt 70's and 80's zebco 808 for cat fishing ,,,the new one don't have the quality is there still a market for this? and can penn make a abumatic?  ::)

Benni3

Santa came today with the elusive 350

Bill B

Good job on the 350....I serviced one for a friend and liked it so much had to get my own...then John (ThorHammer) came to the rescue with a nice level wind bar.....Wait until you open it up...looks complicated but was a breeze to service...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Benni3

sdlehr

Quote from: TARFU on June 03, 2017, 08:40:27 PM
Good job on the 350....I serviced one for a friend and liked it so much had to get my own...then John (ThorHammer) came to the rescue with a nice level wind bar.....Wait until you open it up...looks complicated but was a breeze to service...Bill
The level wind mechanism is pretty simple in this reel actually, just 4 or 5 moving parts, but when I did my first one I was amazed at the design. It isn't hard to see how watchmakers were the first reel makers.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bill B

Re-assembly tip....you can assemble the reel without the spiral bar in place, then remove the tension bearing/nut and insert the bar...you will have to crank the reel to get the bar to completely seat.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oc1

The problem with these reels is that the level line bar must be high on the frame to work.  The line rubs on the bar when casting and creates a lot of fiction.
-steve

Decker

Who uses a Penn 350, and how do you use it?   Bottom fishing?  I imagine with a 3:1 gear ratio, you wouldn't want to fish too deep.